Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Tories, Greens, Lib Dems have all leafleted Jakarta Towers, not heard a peep from Labour.

Presume as Nick Herbert had a 26,000 plus majority Arundel & South Downs is not worth fighting for?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sunday's polls...

Opinium
CON 45%(-1),
LAB 35%(+2),
LDEM 7%(-1),
UKIP 5%(nc).

ComRes for the Sunday Mirror and Independent
CON 46%(-2),
LAB 34%(+4),
LDEM 8%(-2),
UKIP 5%(nc).

ORB for the Telegraph
CON 44%(-2),
LAB 38%(+4),
LDEM 7%(nc),
UKIP 5%(-2).

YouGov for the Sunday Times
CON 43%(nc),
LAB 36%(-2),
LDEM 9%(-1),
UKIP 4%(nc).

ICM for the Sun on Sunday
CON 46%(-1),
LAB 32%(-1),
LDEM 8%(-1),
UKIP 5%(+1).

All Fake News.

The Media have reported over the last 10 days, a huge momentum for Corbyn's squeeze the rich and spending shopping list. He was brave enough to identify the UK's involvement abroad as the cause of terrorist murders. All radio and TV interviews in that time with members of the public, showed 100% support for Momentum Labour.

I'm sticking to the overwhelming unbiased media narrative of a Tory collapse, allowing Corbyn to run a hard left coalition government.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
All Fake News.

The Media have reported over the last 10 days, a huge momentum for Corbyn's squeeze the rich and spending shopping list. He was brave enough to identify the UK's involvement abroad as the cause of terrorist murders. All radio and TV interviews in that time with members of the public, showed 100% support for Momentum Labour.

I'm sticking to the overwhelming unbiased media narrative of a Tory collapse, allowing Corbyn to run a hard left coalition government.

With the SNP?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Tories, Greens, Lib Dems have all leafleted Jakarta Towers, not heard a peep from Labour.

Presume as Nick Herbert had a 26,000 plus majority Arundel & South Downs is not worth fighting for?

I get leafleted by all but never any visits by the candidates ever.
This year however for the locals greens,lib dems and ukip knocked on my door all saying records show you are a Tory voter in the past but any chance.you will consider us..... thats never happened before.
Not a sausage from anyone yet during the main election.........never is.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I get leafleted by all but never any visits by the candidates ever.
This year however for the locals greens,lib dems and ukip knocked on my door all saying records show you are a Tory voter in the past but any chance.you will consider us..... thats never happened before.
Not a sausage from anyone yet during the main election.........never is.
Genuine question: What records are held and accessible to others about which way one votes?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
With the SNP?

Perhaps the SNP will cooperate on a vote by vote basis, if Corbyn's agenda of high taxation of high earners and companies in England & Wales, and gentle negotiations with Juncker's EU, don't directly affect Scotland? Scotland keeping their moderate levels of taxation.

That divergence in tax policies would actually benefit Scotland, making it more attractive to companies.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Genuine question: What records are held and accessible to others about which way one votes?

I have questioned this myself as it seems a bit off and i never forget being in my mates house 1997 election night and there was a furious banging on the door.It was a local labour activist saying the lady of the house hasnt voted yet and since she was labour last time can she run down to the polling booth and vote now.
I wont repeat the expletives he got considering she only gave birth the night before and was resting but it seemed odd he had this info

However it seems when you hand in your ballot it is ticket off against a mastersheet. This can then be accessed for voter fraud at future dates. How this voting info is accessed to show parties how individuals voted is anyones guess. I presume its a legal thing to do.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have questioned this myself as it seems a bit off and i never forget being in my mates house 1997 election night and there was a furious banging on the door.It was a local labour activist saying the lady of the house hasnt voted yet and since she was labour last time can she run down to the polling booth and vote now.
I wont repeat the expletives he got considering she only gave birth the night before and was resting but it seemed odd he had this info

However it seems when you hand in your ballot it is ticket off against a mastersheet. This can then be accessed for voter fraud at future dates. How this voting info is accessed to show parties how individuals voted is anyones guess. I presume its a legal thing to do.

Could it be from the party activists standing outside polling stations, asking questions to those leaving after their vote?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Could it be from the party activists standing outside polling stations, asking questions to those leaving after their vote?

never from me, whenever they have asked for my ballot paper on leaving(to show i voted) i always say its in the bin.This has happened to friends of mine as well so i presume its quite legal nowadays

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Ha! Good.

Very strange though. You'd think it would be treated as a very private matter.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away

Is the right answer. Having worked at polling stations more years than I care to remember I was often asked how come the ballot was secret as an individual voting paper could be tracked back to a particular voter. However once the count is over the voting papers are bound, sealed and stored for a period of about 7 years, I think, in case any suggestion of voter fraud is made and they need to be checked. After that there destroyed. I can't ever remember this happening locally for the last 50 years!

As for the party activists knowing how your going to vote, this is only done on previous perceived knowledge, door step canvassing and information gleaned outside the polling station on previous elections.

There really is nothing sinister here and often they get it wrong. I still remember one old lady being whisked into the polling station by the local Tory helper and who I could see quite clearly as she had handed me back her paper to put in the ballot box for her, that she had voted Labour.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Ha! Good.

Very strange though. You'd think it would be treated as a very private matter.

I would have thought so.
I think everyone would have thought so.

Looking objectively though if you cant match a vote to a ballot paper how can you investigate or prove voter fraud.You cant....ergo someone somewhere knows how we all voted.....everytime.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Is the right answer. Having worked at polling stations more years than I care to remember I was often asked how come the ballot was secret as an individual voting paper could be tracked back to a particular voter. However once the count is over the voting papers are bound, sealed and stored for a period of about 7 years, I think, in case any suggestion of voter fraud is made and they need to be checked. After that there destroyed. I can't ever remember this happening locally for the last 50 years!

As for the party activists knowing how your going to vote, this is only done on previous perceived knowledge, door step canvassing and information gleaned outside the polling station on previous elections.

There really is nothing sinister here and often they get it wrong. I still remember one old lady being whisked into the polling station by the local Tory helper and who I could see quite clearly as she had handed me back her paper to put in the ballot box for her, that she had voted Labour.

Absolutely this. There's no information gleaned from ballot papers, it's all from previous contacts with voters. I've done a stint outside polling stations in the past and it's purely to work out who's voted (not how you've voted). The parties co-operate too - if lots of voters emerge at once, the Conservatives will share info with Labour (and vice versa).

And parties don't everything. My grandmother regularly got a lift to the local polling station from the Tories ... but never once voted for them

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

That's exactly it. If you hand over your polling card to the rep of the party you voted for they'll have everything they need to put you on their database.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Excellent piece in the Daily Mirror by former Everton and Wales goalkeeper Neville Southall, backing The Labour Party's plans to return the 'People's Game' to the grassroots, by:

✔ Committing 5% of football’s £8.3billion TV rights revenue to the grassroots.
✔ Working with train companies, broadcasters and clubs to create a new ‘Flexible Football Ticket’ so fans don't lose out through late game switches.
✔ Giving accredited supporters' trusts the power to appoint and remove at least two club directors and purchase shares when clubs change hands.
✔ Fixing the broken ticketing market.
✔ Making sure stadiums are accessible for disabled fans.

Vote Labour. Vote fair.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Excellent piece in the Daily Mirror by former Everton and Wales goalkeeper Neville Southall, backing The Labour Party's plans to return the 'People's Game' to the grassroots, by:

✔ Committing 5% of football’s £8.3billion TV rights revenue to the grassroots.
✔ Working with train companies, broadcasters and clubs to create a new ‘Flexible Football Ticket’ so fans don't lose out through late game switches.
✔ Giving accredited supporters' trusts the power to appoint and remove at least two club directors and purchase shares when clubs change hands.
✔ Fixing the broken ticketing market.
✔ Making sure stadiums are accessible for disabled fans.

Vote Labour. Vote fair.

Unfortunately the really important issues mean don't vote Labour.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
That's exactly it. If you hand over your polling card to the rep of the party you voted for they'll have everything they need to put you on their database.

why would you walk up to the rep you voted for and hand over your polling card?
ive had various reps ask for my polling card i dont give it to the one i voted for..........the first one that asks i say its in the bin

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
why would you walk up to the rep you voted for and hand over your polling card?
ive had various reps ask for my polling card i dont give it to the one i voted for..........the first one that asks i say its in the bin

It's nothing to do with the one you voted for. As mentioned above, the various parties share information on who's voted. As to why you should do it? If a party has your name as a potential voter, they'll knock you up that evening if your name's not been ticked off

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here