Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagull Travel for Villa Game

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
Contemplating using the coaches for the Villa game. I was just going to drive there and back on the day but would just be me on my own so seems a bit silly not to get the coach. What are they like, comfortable, do they stop often, take ages etc? How quickly do they fill up etc.

Thanks in advance

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Contemplating using the coaches for the Villa game. I was just going to drive there and back on the day but would just be me on my own so seems a bit silly not to get the coach. What are they like, comfortable, do they stop often, take ages etc? How quickly do they fill up etc.

Thanks in advance

I usually drive to away games but have used ST a few times. Works OK, but it'll extend your day a bit due to earlier start times and possible multiple stops for pickups

Good things - will park near the ground, you can kip, will stop en route (once each way I'd expect for Villa perhaps), relatively comfortable
Not so good things - pick up time will be earlier than you'd probably leave yourself, stops can add a lot of time to the journey, they'll stick to speed limits (and no booze allowed unlike the train)

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
As above, it's horses for courses.

Coaches usually stop once for about 45 mins, it will be Oxford I would guess for this one. Basically door to door with no hassle. Comfy enough I would guess. NO ALCOHOL if that's important.
Train gives you more freedom but more hopping about for changes.
Coach departs pronto after the game.
Train you can hang about for a beer or two.
Take your Sony Walkman thingy on the coach, drift off into musical bliss.
There are other coach providers than just ST.
When I have used coaches, have never missed a kick off.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I've never had an issue with seagulls travel. Coaches are comfortable and they usually have a 30 min (or greater) stop halfway through to switch drivers. For Villa they might even go straight there (my coach for Norwich didn't stop on Friday). I personally prefer no stopping and getting straight there, but this can only happen for short trips. We got to Norwich just before 5 which is earlier than usual, it's usually around an hour before kickoff. For busy game where many coaches go, the pick up points are more grouped together so you'll be picking up passengers only a few times. When the coach needs to pick up from many places it does add a lot of time to your journey.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
I live in West Sussex, in between Littlehampton and Bognor, can anyone recommend any alternative travel groups to ST? I don’t drink so no booze is not an issue.

I looked into trains but not looking as will take ages from Barnham

Tekanne

Feb 4, 2015
Maybe I was just unlucky.

After the game on Friday we got on the coach and were told to "BE QUIET" (at 10pm), even though none of us were talking loudly or being particularly BOISTEROUS.

One 15 minute stop for a 4 hour journey and the person who was running the coach clearly really enjoyed telling everyone to "HURRY UP, WE'LL LEAVE WITHOUT YOU" while we were all getting something to eat (10 minutes after it was said we had 15)

If you want to go for the day out, have fun and enjoy yourself then don't get the coach. If you want to sit on a quiet coach and get home as quick as possible so you can watch your recorded Ant & Dec Saturday Night Takeaway and complain about lack of effort by the players on Twitter, then get the coach.

Last edited:

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
If you're thinking of going with ST, I have two scratchcard tickets with 50% reduction with seagull travel that I can't use. If you need them i can bring with me to Bristol City game.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I have found that if you need to speak to Seagulls Travel at the office in Lancing, it appears to be very un organised and not entirely professional!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
From what I heard about Friday, I'd give it a miss!

Departure time was changed to significantly later so driver didn't have to take a break. Got to within 30 mins of the ground and driver decided he had to stop for 45 minutes for a nap. Didn't stop at services; just on the side of the road. Seagull Travel sending apologetic tweets saying the driver shouldn't have been stopping!

All secondhand; I'm sure somebody will be along shortly to correct me or fill in the gaps.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
As above, it's horses for courses.

Coaches usually stop once for about 45 mins, it will be Oxford I would guess for this one. Basically door to door with no hassle. Comfy enough I would guess. NO ALCOHOL if that's important.
Train gives you more freedom but more hopping about for changes.
Coach departs pronto after the game.
Train you can hang about for a beer or two.
Take your Sony Walkman thingy on the coach, drift off into musical bliss.
There are other coach providers than just ST.
When I have used coaches, have never missed a kick off.

Why on earth would a coach from Sussex to Birmingham go via Oxford? (M23/M25/M40 l would have thought?).

I have used the Official Supporters Club coach a few times, (aka the Costa Express), and that generally has been very good. My one word of caution, is that on two or three occasions it was held up by traffic, and we only just made the kick off time!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Why on earth would a coach from Sussex to Birmingham go via Oxford? (M23/M25/M40 l would have thought?).

I have used the Official Supporters Club coach a few times, (aka the Costa Express), and that generally has been very good. My one word of caution, is that on two or three occasions it was held up by traffic, and we only just made the kick off time!

When I say Oxford, I am abbreviating Oxford Services which is, as you say, on the M40 Jct 8a. The usual stop for B'ham based matches.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Oxford services is on the M40.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here