Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Micky Flanagan Brighton Centre 2017

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Interesting that. He's one of the absolute best I've seen, and I've seen a lot. Who else have you seen that you enjoyed out of interest?

I guess everyone has different tastes.

We do indeed all have different tastes - I was so disappointed with Flanagan as I always liked him on TV. As you asked, I've racked my brains and the ones I saw live and enjoyed were McIntyre, Lee Mack, Harry Hill, Eddie Izzard, Milton Jones, one I'd forgotten - Bobby Davro when he was a top star, Jethro at Worthing Pier, Victoria Wood and - I've just remembered I saw Morecombe and Wise at the Dome and Doddy at the Palladium, Barry Humphries, assorted stand ups at The Komedia. A motley assortment to be sure and I suspect many on here will gently question my comedy taste in their inimitable way. My beef with Flanagan was that I struggled to find the humour in his endless stories. It was on his last visit to Brighton and as I was not enjoying it, I cast my eye around the place and realised I wasn't alone. But as you say, everyone has different tastes. Can't stand Bishop either :)
Late edit: Also saw the remarkable Count Arthur Strong at the Theatre Royal - that was a surreal evening!

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I can see something in most of the popular, mainstream comedians but this guy always comes across as a wanker, a nasty piece of work. I'm clearly missing something.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
We do indeed all have different tastes - I was so disappointed with Flanagan as I always liked him on TV. As you asked, I've racked my brains and the ones I saw live and enjoyed were McIntyre, Lee Mack, Harry Hill, Eddie Izzard, Milton Jones, one I'd forgotten - Bobby Davro when he was a top star, Jethro at Worthing Pier, Victoria Wood and - I've just remembered I saw Morecombe and Wise at the Dome and Doddy at the Palladium, Barry Humphries, assorted stand ups at The Komedia. A motley assortment to be sure and I suspect many on here will gently question my comedy taste in their inimitable way. My beef with Flanagan was that I struggled to find the humour in his endless stories. It was on his last visit to Brighton and as I was not enjoying it, I cast my eye around the place and realised I wasn't alone. But as you say, everyone has different tastes. Can't stand Bishop either :)
Late edit: Also saw the remarkable Count Arthur Strong at the Theatre Royal - that was a surreal evening!

I was going to say Bobby Davro earlier but decided not to and have the piss ripped out of me. At his best a really funny man and great entertainer, i also really like Jethro as well.
Barry Humphries is a true comedy legend.
One person who i did see live many years ago and although not a comedian he had the audience in stitches for one and a half hours was Peter Ustinov, what a great night out that was.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I was going to say Bobby Davro earlier but decided not to and have the piss ripped out of me. At his best a really funny man and great entertainer, i also really like Jethro as well.
Barry Humphries is a true comedy legend.
One person who i did see live many years ago and although not a comedian he had the audience in stitches for one and a half hours was Peter Ustinov, what a great night out that was.

Saw Bobby Davro in Torquay when he was first on the scene, think he was a supporting act (Cannon and Ball perhaps ?), about 1985/6. He was fantastic - brilliant impressions, great audience engagement.

I met Barry Humphries through work many times - bit of a tosspot. Very 'do you know who I am' type of guy.

Saw Jethro in Burgess Hill a few years back. Amiably funny but worse than Flanagan in terms of trotting out the same old themes.

Dara O'Brian is absolutely brilliant live. Highly recommended.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I can see something in most of the popular, mainstream comedians but this guy always comes across as a wanker, a nasty piece of work. I'm clearly missing something.

He was humble, welcoming and appreciative when I saw him live so not sure where got that impression from. Also very funny - much funnier than he is on tv.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Mickey Flanagan is one of the most down to earth people you will meet, not up himself at all. When he was starting out I used to have a chat with him at the hobgoblin in forest hill. Always has a chat when I bump into him.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Mickey Flanagan is one of the most down to earth people you will meet, not up himself at all. When he was starting out I used to have a chat with him at the hobgoblin in forest hill. Always has a chat when I bump into him.

Did he do his Pete Beale impression? "Awight tweacle?"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here