Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] All in one printer recommendations

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I have to buy a new printer to replace our old Canon.

It needs to be:

All in one
Wireless
Separate colour ink cartridges
Able to take compatible cartridges
Duplex

Most important consideration is ongoing value for money. No requirement for photo, disc printing etc, just basic A4 printing.

Any recommendations please? I'm struggling to see the wood for the trees at the moment.

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
I picked up a Canon MG5650 cheap from FB few months back and it does exactly what you looking for I believe!!

Just use for printing A4 mainly! Simple to replace cartridges and sure the copy & scan functions would be sufficient if were to need them too!

HTH

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I'm no expert, but it always seems to me that the cost of replacement cartridges is far more important than the cost of the printer.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My Canon iX6850 A3 printer has given me 5 years or so of trouble free printing. I know you said A4, but it is a v good printer and has taken refilled cartridges as well as other brands. Seems to be very efficient on ink usage too.

boik

Our HP Officejet 8600 Pro has been fantastic. Thoroughly recommend it if you have the space. It's not a photo printer though, although it's always cheaper to get prints done online anyway.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I picked up a Canon MG5650 cheap from FB few months back and it does exactly what you looking for I believe!!

Just use for printing A4 mainly! Simple to replace cartridges and sure the copy & scan functions would be sufficient if were to need them too!

HTH

Thanks. Current printer is Canon MG5450 and it has finally bit the dust. It was slower than the previous model Canon we had but has mostly been reliable. I'm happy to go with Canon again, but equally willing to give another brand a chance. This time we will go to something more basic.

I hadn't thought of 2nd hand as printers are so cheap new (just the ink costs that have to be considered). I'll have a look around 2nd hand too then.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm no expert, but it always seems to me that the cost of replacement cartridges is far more important than the cost of the printer.

I think you're spot on there.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Very happy with my HP Envy 4527

Can you tell me more about ongoing ink costs with this printer please?

Do you have one of their monthly price plan thingies where they automatically send you their own brand inks? If so, how does that work, and is it good value for money?

Or do you buy compatibles?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Can't recommend a specific printer but Cartridge World in Portslade have a good selection with all the specs: http://www.cartridgeworld.co.uk/category/printers/multifunctionals.html?cPath=11776_11777

They would advise you on what you need if it's still confusing. That's where I would go when I next need a new printer.

Their ink is good value too.

That is where I get my refilled cartridges from, and for what must be over 5 years, never had a dud from them. It does seem to have given over the majority of its retail space to vape products these days though. :nono:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
My Canon iX6850 A3 printer has given me 5 years or so of trouble free printing. I know you said A4, but it is a v good printer and has taken refilled cartridges as well as other brands. Seems to be very efficient on ink usage too.

Thanks Bold, but looking to go a lot cheaper /basic than that this time round.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
That is where I get my refilled cartridges from, and for what must be over 5 years, never had a dud from them. It does seem to have given over the majority of its retail space to vape products these days though. :nono:

Now you have jogged my mind, I walked past there the other day and noticed the vape sideline. I would still go to them for a new printer and ink mind you.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Loads recommended on Which, but a pain listing them all. If you note down a few you like, I can tell you their scores, pros and cons if you like.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
We got about 4 or 5 years out of the Canon mg5450 and we always used compatible cartridges. Could usually buy a set of compatible cartridges(5) for about 5 or 6 quid if buying 3 sets together. Those cartridges worked fine every time. That's the sort of ink cost I'm hoping to continue with, but on a more basic/cheaper printer.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Loads recommended on Which, but a pain listing them all. If you note down a few you like, I can tell you their scores, pros and cons if you like.

I was hoping you could just suggest one or two for me Trig that meet the needs in my opening post :thumbsup:

As I said, I'm struggling to see the wood for the trees, having looked at loads of the things.

I'm particularly keen to hear how ink costs work out on a cheap Hp or Epson.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I recently got a HP Officejet 6960 and it does all you ask. Think it was £69.99. I signed up to the HP print replacement scheme where you pay x amount per month and they send you ink as & when you need it. The first 3 months was free and they sent me new cartridges after about 2 weeks. I now pay £1.99 per month, they do monitor how much you use it so it would go up if I starting printing loads but the level I’m at seems fine.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I use a Canon PIxma MG 2950 which is more than adequate for my needs and the cartridges both genuine and compatible are reasonably priced. It was very cheap at Currys / PC World.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I recently got a HP Officejet 6960 and it does all you ask. Think it was £69.99. I signed up to the HP print replacement scheme where you pay x amount per month and they send you ink as & when you need it. The first 3 months was free and they sent me new cartridges after about 2 weeks. I now pay £1.99 per month, they do monitor how much you use it so it would go up if I starting printing loads but the level I’m at seems fine.

Thanks, that sounds pretty good. I was spending about £18 on compatible cartdridges which would last possibly about 5 or 6 months (some colours run out sooner than others). If I could get our ink costs covered for £1.99 a month I'd be happy with that, especially as I'd be getting hp inks, which in theory should prolong the life of the printer.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here