Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Test match bowler,s and your number One.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Undecided between Hadlee and McGrath, with notable shout outs to Michael Holding, Malcolm Marshall and Imran Khan.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
McGrath for me. Metronomic in his accuracy, and you could tell he was missed in the 05 Ashes series on the occasions he didn't play.

The Aussie's version of Zaha.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Hadlee was special insofar as he carried New Zealand and never got a buffet against them.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Impossible to say who is The Best as Test Match Cricket has changed so much. Yes wickets, strike rates and economy are all in there but they don't take into account so many other factors.

Hadlee IS a great example - he was the New Zealand attack for many years whereas Holding, Garner, Roberts etc. had one another as support in the West Indies glory years.

The Best I personally have seen was Warne, painful though it is to say it.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'd say (reluctantly) Shane Warne. To get all those wickets when McGrath was collecting them at the same time is outstanding.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Sidney Barnes

UfM3b7

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I always thought Alan Donald was terrifying. I remember watching on television Donald steaming in at 90mph, and the camera cutting to a glum looking England changing room, the fear was palpable.

I used to love Franklyn Stephenson when I was a boy, although he only played rebel tests. He had the best slower ball ever.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I always thought Alan Donald was terrifying. I remember watching on television Donald steaming in at 90mph, and the camera cutting to a glum looking England changing room, the fear was palpable.

I used to love Franklyn Stephenson when I was a boy, although he only played rebel tests. He had the best slower ball ever.

That session when he and Atherton were properly going at each other..........wow..........he was getting angrier by the delivery. Fantastic stuff......

https://youtu.be/JojnoSO4MDc

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Hadlee and for one major reason.

The day after our marriage my wife and I had breakfast with him, NZ were touring and playing Sussex staying in the hotel we were and what an engaging person he was.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For me no question - Malcolm Marshall. Lowest bowling average of anyone who has taken over 200 test wickets - 20.94. 376 in just 81 tests, which is phenomenal given the other world class bowlers like Roberts, Garner, Holding in the same side.

Had he bowled in this Windies era he'd have taken 500+ wickets in those 81 tests, an incredible bowler.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

shame he didn't use it at the death of the 1993 Nat West final! Great bowler nevertheless.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
shame he didn't use it at the death of the 1993 Nat West final! Great bowler nevertheless.

I think he tried, didn't he? I'm going to investigate this on YouTube... although the final was the day after my 18th and I was hanging out of my arse, so my judgement might be cloudy. Wonderful final regardless.

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
For me no question - Malcolm Marshall. Lowest bowling average of anyone who has taken over 200 test wickets - 20.94. 376 in just 81 tests, which is phenomenal given the other world class bowlers like Roberts, Garner, Holding in the same side.

Had he bowled in this Windies era he'd have taken 500+ wickets in those 81 tests, an incredible bowler.

Marshall was frightening in the 1984 series in England. Broke a few bones

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here