Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Game of thrones

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I think the main difference with Tolkien and GOT is that the dwarfs didn't get wrecked, bang prozzies and call people Mike Hunt's.

Can you imagine?! Tonight's line of the episode was the Hound. Nobody does 'reality checks' like he does!

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Yep, a lot of the interwebs is taking the piss out of GoT at the moment, and rightly so. Where's all the logic gone? What made GoT great was making a world of fantasy seem realistic. Now all that's gone. It makes it a lot harder to suspend your disbelief with the ridiculous plot developments and when everything is so CONVENIENTLY placed. They find an army of the dead offshoot - check. All die except the one they need - check. The ice cracks in a perfect circle to keep the wights at bay - check. Gendry collapses meters from the wall - check. Daenerys arrives just in time to save everyone - check. It's all become Hollywood-predictable. As I say, it would be fine, if it wasn't GoT, which you expect much more from. I don't have a problem with them having to speed it up to finish it off - just don't remove the logic you had previously adhered to in the process. Too many plot holes and cheap pay-offs. And the dialogue, it's really dropped a few levels - which is having a knock on effect on the quality of the acting. It's still enjoyable to watch, but I can't help but find myself yearning for the quality (i.e. GRRM's writing) of the earlier seasons.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Yeah I Know it's all bonkers, but what about that blue eye at the end! Bring on next week!

And some! The odds on Westeros surviving must now be hanging by a thread. The Night King is like Archer in 90s i.e. Everyone hates, dead inside and probably never had a pulse to begin with. It's all rather chilling and brilliantly shot.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I agree but even a great character like the hound seemed overplayed and hammy in this episode.

Agree, definitely gone a bit hammy. I reckon Daniel Day Lewis's Butcher Bill will appear soon.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think the main difference with Tolkien and GOT is that the dwarfs didn't get wrecked, bang prozzies and call people Mike Hunt's.

Looks like we are going to have the Fellowship of the Wight in the next episode.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I must confess to hoping for the death of Jon Snow in the icy waters because it would have been a sign that the show could get back in track. Sadly he survived.

The longer this season has gone on the more I have yearned for the chaotic guiding hand of Martin.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Oct 25, 2003
I don't think so, but who knows.

I think there is importance attached (in the books if nothing else) to who the Three Eyed Raven was before Bran arrived, but we shall see.

the Night King could perhaps be a distant relative of the Starks? I think there's a link between the two of them in some way. The Night King seems to have similar powers to Bran at least.

or, as you say, the link is the Three Eyed Raven

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
the Night King could perhaps be a distant relative of the Starks? I think there's a link between the two of them in some way. The Night King seems to have similar powers to Bran at least.

or, as you say, the link is the Three Eyed Raven

I'll be interested to see how the books and show resolve Bran's storyline, as the show storyline has already moved past where Bran physically is in the books, but without telling us who the Three Eyed Raven (or Three Eyed Crow) used to be as the books have, so it may be that show Bran and book Bran's roles in it all aren't the same.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I just wish it would slow down. I look back at Ramsey's slow torture of Theon with nostalgia; in this series it would have been off with his manhood in the first five minutes. Also have transport links dramatically improved or the whole place shrunk as they seem to be able to commute between kingdoms at incredible speed?

I am enjoying it and it is spectacular but things like character development, dialogue etc did give the dramatic action scenes so much more impact. It may be my age but I also miss the gratuitous sex.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Overall, I can see the remaining books telling a different story than the show is - whatever the eventual end is may well be the same, but we're going to see very different routes there at the very least.

Given that we're seeing storylines in one that don't fit in with what's going on in the other, as well as characters being in the show and not the books (or vice versa), and even characters who are in both doing completely different things in each format, I can't see how they will tell the exact same story.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
is Bran the Night King?
I think he is, and he has the same ability to see through time.

I also think the conflict on the frozen lake was a "trap" set by the Night King and all about taking over a dragon or 2 for some future purpose.

And I don't think the Night King is actually 'evil'.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I think he is, and he has the same ability to see through time.

I also think the conflict on the frozen lake was a "trap" set by the Night King and all about taking over a dragon or 2 for some future purpose.

And I don't think the Night King is actually 'evil'.

I don't think he's the same person, I think they are very similar though. The NK might be a stark for example. In the books all of the starks have greenseeing & warging abilities.

One thing bran doesn't have, which the NK seems to have, is the ability to see into the future.

For me, this episode was complete bullshit and has kind of ruined the whole thing - I hope the next episode makes up for it.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Only just watched this episode and I'm totally unsure how I feel about it.

Like many have said, there are pacing issues all over the place. I've accepted that to a degree throughout this season as I think the writing has still been good enough to make up for the odd poorly paced bit, but this whole episode wasn't sure whether it was coming or going. Add that to the quite ridiculous transport issues, and it felt underwhelming. Add that again to the big moments being totally glossed over (Coldhands died after being back on screen for 10 second FFS!), and I was left feeling rather emotionally frustrated.

However, my biggest issue with the episode is that we have 8 episodes left in total and the game has got more serious regarding the NK, who now has a dragon after apparently developing an Olympic javelin ability, but we're yet to know anything at all about who or what the NK are. That in itself isn't an issue, but what it means is that this fantasy world that GRRM has so wonderfully grounded in reality now has no clear guidelines about what is possible. For example, we simply don't know how anyone will defeat him because we don't know what powers he has, how many of those javelins he has stocked up, what abilities he has to warg or see future/past events etc. All of this means that the writers are basically given free rein to make up whatever the hell they want, and consequently give him powers they see fit to make whatever spectacle they want. We're at a stage where that is massively impacting on the spectacle and the emotional impact of each big moment regarding the big series villain, but not in a positive way.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here