Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homophobic Leicester fans

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
That's not quite correct:

A 44-year-old man has been charged with indecent chanting under Section 3 of the*Football Offences Act*and is due to appear at Leicester Magistrates' Court on Thursday.

A second man aged 21 who was arrested on suspicion of making obscene gestures was given a caution.

However, 2 people from a large group?

I also disagree with Costa's high praise of the stewards. If they'd done their f******g job properly, a lot more 1 would have been
charged.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
That's not quite correct:

A 44-year-old man has been charged with indecent chanting under Section 3 of the*Football Offences Act*and is due to appear at Leicester Magistrates' Court on Thursday.

A second man aged 21 who was arrested on suspicion of making obscene gestures was given a caution.

However, 2 people from a large group?

One man to face charges!! Sacrificial Lamb or what , just a token look we have taken action. Not good enough in my view.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
From the BBC website "Liz Costa from Brighton & Hove Albion Supporters Club said about 50 Leicester fans took part in the "disgusting" chanting throughout most of the match at the King Power Stadium."

But most importantly did she shout for the nearest policeman?

Frankly, what the **** does Costa know about it? She would have been sitting down the front with the bobble hat and thermos flask brigade. I was up at the back by the Leicester fans, it is not really the chants that were the problem, though a few crossed the line, it was more the individual homophobic abuse. There is no way Costa knows anything about this, and if she is going to be held up as a spokesperson she should admit as much.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I preferred it when these chants were water off a ducks back to us.

Up to the authorities to sort. Us bleating makes us bigger targets and doesn't help at all IMO.

When other fans see us melting down about it they will be all over it and the problem gets worse.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Up to the authorities to sort. Us bleating makes us bigger targets and doesn't help at all IMO.

When other fans see us melting down about it they will be all over it and the problem gets worse.

As I said above, no Albion fan is losing their shit over "Does your boyfriend know you're here". Songs about people having aids, and individual Leicester fans aggressively calling people ****ing ******s etc etc whilst the stewards just stand there. That is clearly a different matter entirely.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

Are you gay?

If so, have you ever been out somewhere and beaten up and/or had vile insults screamed at you?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Frankly, what the **** does Costa know about it? She would have been sitting down the front with the bobble hat and thermos flask brigade. I was up at the back by the Leicester fans, it is not really the chants that were the problem, though a few crossed the line, it was more the individual homophobic abuse. There is no way Costa knows anything about this, and if she is going to be held up as a spokesperson she should admit as much.

In fairness SHE put herself forward along with the late Sarah Watts and is championing a cause where there is still a widespread problem. Like she did in the war years. Good on her I say, I'm definitely Team Liz. One of our top girls and I don't mean hooligans!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
One man to face charges!! Sacrificial Lamb or what , just a token look we have taken action. Not good enough in my view.

I'd rather we didn't clog the courts with every such instance when a successful prosecution of one will soon have the desired effect. Word gets round.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I'd rather we didn't clog the courts with every such instance when a successful prosecution of one will soon have the desired effect. Word gets round.

Really? The single Saints fan that was banned for three years seems to have had little effect on other fans, as Leicester fans have proved.
I'm sorry but I think a large number of bans from one game is exactly what is needed to make fans think before opening their mouths.
http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/9400516.Saints_fan_banned_after_shouting_homophobic_abuse/

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
In fairness SHE put herself forward along with the late Sarah Watts and is championing a cause where there is still a widespread problem. Like she did in the war years. Good on her I say, I'm definitely Team Liz. One of our top girls and I don't mean hooligans!

Absolutely, no problem with what she has done down the years. A club legend in many ways. However, anyone stating 'that Leicester's stewards were "very good" and reacted quickly.' is so far wide of the mark. The stewards only ejected two people after they really felt that had to, and several were acting like homophobic abuse was not a problem. As a spokesperson for fans, which Costa is as far as the media is concerned, then it is beholden on her to actually find out what happened, or at the very least admit that she could not possibly know exactly what has gone on over the whole stand. I do not think she is a bad person but her group are often the people who get to speak for us as fans and frankly they could not be less representative of our general fan base, imo.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Really? The single Saints fan that was banned for three years seems to have had little effect on other fans, as Leicester fans have proved.
I'm sorry but I think a large number of bans from one game is exactly what is needed to make fans think before opening their mouths.
http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/9400516.Saints_fan_banned_after_shouting_homophobic_abuse/

This. All that banning/prosecuting one person does is make the majority believe they will get away with it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Yes really. Arresting and prosecuting scores will be far more difficult and likely lead to case dropped. There's no limits on the number of idiots so this is a long game.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Absolutely, no problem with what she has done down the years. A club legend in many ways. However, anyone stating 'that Leicester's stewards were "very good" and reacted quickly.' is so far wide of the mark. The stewards only ejected two people after they really felt that had to, and several were acting like homophobic abuse was not a problem. As a spokesperson for fans, which Costa is as far as the media is concerned, then it is beholden on her to actually find out what happened, or at the very least admit that she could not possibly know exactly what has gone on over the whole stand. I do not think she is a bad person but her group are often the people who get to speak for us as fans and frankly they could not be less representative of our general fan base, imo.

She's incredibly representative of our fan base. And she Takes real action, which is her point of difference compared to just talking about it on here...

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
This. All that banning/prosecuting one person does is make the majority believe they will get away with it.

Exactly that is why in my opinion a one off large number ban would have a great impact. just think of the publicity if all those 30/50 fans at Leicester had been arrested and banned for years.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

It's just a bit more practical arresting one or two as an example that's all I'm saying. Prosecutions aren't cheap nor do we have the resources to lock em all up at once.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Exactly that is why in my opinion a one off large number ban would have a great impact. just think of the publicity if all those 30/50 fans at Leicester had been arrested and banned for years.

But even when 200 fans are fighting they only ever arrest one or two. There's an element of reality missing in your desire to see more numbers arrested. Approx 1000 opposition fans arrested from BHA away games this season, it's not going to happen. But 20-40 might and will create a lot of publicity to make others think again. Especially if printed on forums, websites and matchday programmes.

theboybilly

In that crowd of 32k, Leicester and Brighton fans, men and women, how many do you think were kids struggling with their sexuality? Must be lovely for them.

I take your point obviously but it's the hypocricy of starting some abusive chants and then expecting not to get some back that grates. Homophobic or racist abuse is to be abhored but we didn't hold the moral high ground on Saturday. Every Leicester fan I met was fine, no problems at all and yet to some felt the need to call them scum?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Put up signs at every gate and every bar etc saying offensive/hateful language will not be tolerated and could lead to ejection from the ground and banning from all matches, plus possible arrest. Also state that stewards are fitted with video monitoring cameras to ensure the safety and friendly atmosphere that the club deserves. (Tailor to taste but keeping essentially the same message, add branding/inclusivism message)

Post teams of two stewards at the front/to the side of the loutish areas of the crowd. Try to cover as many angles as budget/space allows. All are wearing HD go-pro helmets. Record everything onto mini sd cards in the device. One in every pair of stewards (perhaps the most senior) will be equipped with short wave radio on a Bluetooth headset. Each "team" of stewards can work together to identify offenders, gaining multiple recording angles and strengthening evidence to prevent mistaken identity claims. Noting down the approximate times of the offences would be useful but not mandatory.

After the game, remove the memory cards and upload them onto a computer. This can be done any time before the next match, by anyone delegated by the Data Controller for the club. As long as the data is stored securely (i.e. on a password protected computer in a locked office, with no network access, to prevent possible loss of data/accusations of breaches of the Data Protection Act)

A (trained?) employee studies footage before the next home game, possibly with a club police liaison. Print out mugshots of worst/all offenders. Provide these to stewards. As the offenders enter the ground, OB ready to nick them (if deemed necessary) or club officials ready to identify them and give notice to leave immediately, telling them their season ticket is cancelled, depending on policy.

Do this five times every season - or every game if budget allows.

Costings

20x Go Pro Cameras with 16gb minisd's - free/nominal (endorsement on posters/website saying we use Go-Pro/whatever brand - the commercial manager should get a good deal here)

Dedicated FM license rental - £30-50 per match

I'm assuming they'll already have radios but otherwise I'd expect a good deal on those too as a "club partner".

The steward costs would be the same as we are simply repurposing their role, so no additional cost there. Perhaps an extra 4 hours training per head would be prudent rather than "learning on the job", to ensure fewer hiccups.

1x staff member to edit video, take screenshots and print captures. Then liaise with club secretary or line manager.

I'm sorry, but was that so hard? I don't need a six figure salary to apply common sense. The above steps would eliminate homophobia from the game forever. If the Leicester chairman wants to pay me a consultation fee, however...

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Yes really. Arresting and prosecuting scores will be far more difficult and likely lead to case dropped. There's no limits on the number of idiots so this is a long game.

Best defence these days for the perpetrators would be to point to their own "psychological problems" it would appear that this provides an effective explaination for many criminal acts like stabbing people in supermarkets and driving cars into pizzerias and bus stops.

I bet those families affected by those crimes would give their high teeth that the nutjobs involved merely chanted indecently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here