Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA Cup to move to midweek?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Apparently the Premier League want fewer midweek fixtures as they're less popular with overseas broadcasters, so will try to negotiate with the FA that the FA Cup will move to midweek, there will be no replays from the third round onwards and also agree to a winter break.

Won't happen for a few years but could use World Cup 2022 as excuse for a shake up.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Makes sense, most FA Cup games fail to attract crowds on a par with league average. If a minnow gets a big team the fans will still turn out.

The only caveat I would want to see is that a winter break is just that and not an excuse for clubs to jet off for money making friendlies.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The FA should agree but on condition that the 4th Champions League spot goes to the winner of the Championship

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
post-21302-1394849473.jpg

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
In a way, getting rid of replays could be a good thing. Granted, it denies the minnows the chance of double bubble by drawing with a big club - but generally your best shot at a giant-killing is first time out. Midweek? Wouldn't be fussed if they moved it. Sadly the FA Cup just isn't the same any more. Presumably the early rounds could stay on Saturdays.. I think it's those clubs it means more to.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Apparently the Premier League want fewer midweek fixtures as they're less popular with overseas broadcasters, so will try to negotiate with the FA that the FA Cup will move to midweek, there will be no replays from the third round onwards and also agree to a winter break.

Won't happen for a few years but could use World Cup 2022 as excuse for a shake up.

Would be very sad if things went that way, we might we in the PL now but still can't stand the organisation

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Replays are a must. Imagine being a conference team and taking a draw to old Trafford. That's a must.
They should get rid of the league cup for prem teams if people want less matches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
In a way, getting rid of replays could be a good thing. Granted, it denies the minnows the chance of double bubble by drawing with a big club - but generally your best shot at a giant-killing is first time out. Midweek? Wouldn't be fussed if they moved it. Sadly the FA Cup just isn't the same any more. Presumably the early rounds could stay on Saturdays.. I think it's those clubs it means more to.

It means the world to the grass roots of the game, who start playing in the competition in July and August and can play through five rounds before reaching the first round proper in November/December. It is really two competitions in one. Hundreds of smaller clubs, all burning with ambition to draw a league club and make some money, all battling like crazy pre Christmas. This is the life-blood of the competition. This is when it really matters.
Then we reach the third round and big Ugly Joe rears his head and suddenly all you hear are disparaging remarks about the competition from people who pay no heed to how much it means to the grass roots of the game. But then they pay no heed to the life-blood of the game anyway. The greatest cup competition in the world deserves to be played at weekends not lost in midweek amongst a plethora of European games. Bollocks to the PL and all their dictats. It was around a long, long time before an organisation set up to benefit a few elite clubs, which does nothing to enrich and encourage the whole game, as is the case with our beloved FA Cup.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It means the world to the grass roots of the game, who start playing in the competition in July and August and can play through five rounds before reaching the first round proper in November/December. It is really two competitions in one. Hundreds of smaller clubs, all burning with ambition to draw a league club and make some money, all battling like crazy pre Christmas. This is the life-blood of the competition. This is when it really matters.
Then we reach the third round and big Ugly Joe rears his head and suddenly all you hear are disparaging remarks about the competition from people who pay no heed to how much it means to the grass roots of the game. But then they pay no heed to the life-blood of the game anyway. The greatest cup competition in the world deserves to be played at weekends not lost in midweek amongst a plethora of European games. Bollocks to the PL and all their dictats. It was around a long, long time before an organisation set up to benefit a few elite clubs, which does nothing to enrich and encourage the whole game, as is the case with our beloved FA Cup.
Yep, that's spot on. A plague on the premier league.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I'm alright, Jack. You can pull away the ladder now. :tosser:

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

This. 100%.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
how many mid weeks are there, 3-4? how many are mid week due to FA cup?

i smell bargaining position for something else, maybe the fabled winter break that's so important but not actually observed internationally (some leagues have Christmas, some January, some none at all).

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

As someone who's followed lower league football almost all my life, the appeal doesn't need explaining to me. I'm just not convinced that playing on a Saturday is essential to the attraction of the competition in the latter stages. It could still be played on the weekend up to the 3rd round - and beyond that I don't see why playing midweek would reduce interest dramatically.

Last edited:

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
As someone who's followed lower league football almost all my life, the appeal doesn't need explaining to me. I'm just not convinced that playing on a Saturday is essential to the attraction of the competition in the latter stages. It could still be played on the weekend up to the 3rd round - and beyond that I don't see why playing midweek would reduce interest dramatically.

Agree. January mid-week under the lights. Great atmosphere and you get regular football every weekend unlike now when your team can go a couple of weeks with no football due to going out of the cup.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'm certainly not being anti-FA Cup. Always used to love it - and the occasional payday for lower league clubs has always been a massive bonus. My suggestion would be that rather than a blanket and romantic 'Premier League is evil' stance on this, the FA should consider whether they have some leverage that could do smaller clubs and the competition a favour. The FA Cup needs the biggest clubs more than the other way around, so it makes sense to find a format they will work with - in return, say, for a commitment (perhaps enshrined in the regulations) to field strong sides. And rather than relying on the complete lottery of a windfall every few years for the tiny handful of lower league teams that get a glamour tie, they could push for more money to be distributed equitably. Both idealistic, but it's not a bad trade-off to aim at and re-establish the prestige of the tournament at the same time. As for the winter break, I hate the idea from a fans' perspective but can see why it makes sense at the top level - especially in years when there are major international tournaments. After a couple of weeks off, I think the standard of football in the latter stages of the season could certainly improve. But there HAS to be a ban on any club playing matches abroad in that spell, otherwise it's completely pointless.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Playing midweek from round 3 wouldn't be too much of an issue. However, I think the replays are important. For lower league teams the chance to go to a top prem team, get a draw and then bring them back to their ploughed field is part of the wonder of the cup. We all like watching a non-league team playing a top team at a ground that makes Withdean look like a top ground. The other option could be if the game ends in a draw, the team ranked lowest at kick-off goes through.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Playing midweek from round 3 wouldn't be too much of an issue. However, I think the replays are important. For lower league teams the chance to go to a top prem team, get a draw and then bring them back to their ploughed field is part of the wonder of the cup. We all like watching a non-league team playing a top team at a ground that makes Withdean look like a top ground. The other option could be if the game ends in a draw, the team ranked lowest at kick-off goes through.

I do know what you mean on this one. Maybe as someone else suggested, making the League Cup an EFL competition only is the answer, keeping PL clubs happy by reducing the number of Cup games. It would then restore a clear difference in status between the 2 competitions. It's really only the European spot that makes the FA Cup more important now, and half the PL clubs don't even want that any more, sadly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here