Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Atletico De Madrid friendly at the Amex?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I understood that all clubs were ordered by Franco to get rid of English spelling of names so Athletic Madrid became Atleti and Barcelona FC became FC Barcelona. Only Athletic Bilbao told him to do one!

Athletic were indeed known as Atletico Bilbao under Franco but changed back after he died.

Athletic Madrid (or, to be accurate, Athletic Aviacion de Madrid) became Atletico Aviacion de Madrid in the early 40s and then simply Club Atletico de Madrid in the late 40s, which they have remained ever since.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Got my tickets I think it's important to get behind the players and the club as its going to be rollercoaster of a season.
Also to show we are a bigger club now. It's a chance to see any new players who have joined and to say thanks to TB.even though his plan was 5years and he did it in 6:facepalm:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Athletic were indeed known as Atletico Bilbao under Franco but changed back after he died.

Athletic Madrid (or, to be accurate, Athletic Aviacion de Madrid) became Atletico Aviacion de Madrid in the early 40s and then simply Club Atletico de Madrid in the late 40s, which they have remained ever since.

As an addendum - at no point anywhere in their history have they been called Athletico Madrid as per the title of this thread.

I don't suppose there's any chance of a mod changing the thread title to the right name is there? I get a bit OCD about these things. :lolol:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
S1D now opened too I see. With 6 weeks still to go it is looking promising to get some top tiers open I should think.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
For those interested in a bit of Atleti history and the 'curse of El Pupas' this is a fascinating watch.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
For those interested in a bit of Atleti history and the 'curse of El Pupas' this is a fascinating watch.

I went to both the Madrid derby this season and Real vs Barca. In all honesty I saw nothing at all in terms of big rivalry, trouble, goading or anything at either game. Away fans are usualy only 200-300 fans in a corner. You then have other ´away´ fans scattered all around the stadium as you can buy tickets wherever you like. In El classico, Messi scored a last minute winner and Barca fans jumped up all around the stadium but there was no trouble at all.

Atleti fans are very friendly and very noisy, I hope they bring a few to the Amex but sadly Spanish fans do not travel. even if the fixture in 50 miles away or in their own city!

You'd imagine if they did, it would only be one of them initially.

A fair few lower tier seats, in the South in the main, to shift first.

Also hopefully holding for top tier.I think though, in addition to the 900 seats currently available in various stands there is still half of S1D and E1H and possible a bit of S1A to be released.

That's nearly 2000 to shift before they need to make a decision on an upper tier.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Also hopefully holding for top tier.I think though, in addition to the 900 seats currently available in various stands there is still half of S1D and E1H and possible a bit of S1A to be released.

That's nearly 2000 to shift before they need to make a decision on an upper tier.

They may just open one of the upper tiers at a time I guess.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here