Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Wouldn't believe a word she says about that ..... she's a proven liar.

Let's remember she :

1. Said there wouldn't be an general election ..... and then held one.
2. Said that no deal was better than a bad deal ..... and is now trying to deliver a bad deal.
3. Said that said the vote yesterday wouldn't be postponed ..... and then postponed it.

4. Says that Brexit won't be stopped...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I keep reading about the treatment of Greece. Do you know anyone who lives in Greece, and why they were made to get their economy in order? They are part of the euro and in deep deep trouble because they let everyone take retirement at 55 without any money to pay pensions.
They got unemployment down by employing council and government workers with no public money to pay them.
They had to have a loan to get them out of trouble, and another, and another. The EU were right to make rules about how they paid it back and how they ran their economy.

We had very similar problems in the 70s and went cap in hand to the IMF. We had rampant inflation and needed loans to pay our bills. We also had to obey rules set down by the IMF.

Greece is recovering by sticking to those rules. They had a general election, and returned a minister who agreed a slightly softer version of the loan agreement, but it is working. I know because I personally know a few families who live in Athens

Portugal was also in trouble a few years ago, and Britain lent them money through the EU. They have paid us back in full and are back on track. That's how the EU works.
If only the media had reported it truthfully.

And you unsurprisingly forgot to mention :

1. The EU let Greece to join the Euro despite knowing they couldn't adhere to the rules of joining. It was more important to see the Euro in as many countries as possible.
2. That France and Germany lent Greece money they knew they couldn't afford and tied it to the awarding of weapons contracts to France and infrastructure contracts to Germany. France even knew that Greece didn't need the weapons.
3. That the EU were involved of the removal of the elected government.
4. That normal Greek people actually died due to the EU policies forced on Greece. That doesn't matter though just as long as the EU project rolls on.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

Let's remember she :

2. Said that no deal was better than a bad deal ..... and is now trying to deliver a bad deal.
3. Said that said the vote yesterday wouldn't be postponed ..... and then postponed it.

The difference between that and what she says about stepping down though is that if she doesn’t step down she would just lose a vote of no confidence. It’ll be more than a year from now so no problem wiith getting another 48 letters when the time comes.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Let's remember she :

This video from June 2016 is worth a watch, particularly with what she says about not calling a GE and more notably what she said she would do before initiating the A50 process!

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...tive-leadership-bid-brexit-means-brexit-video

If only she didn't lie we wouldn't be in as much of a mess now.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And you unsurprisingly forgot to mention :

1. The EU let Greece to join the Euro despite knowing they couldn't adhere to the rules of joining. It was more important to see the Euro in as many countries as possible.
2. That France and Germany lent Greece money they knew they couldn't afford and tied it to the awarding of weapons contracts to France and infrastructure contracts to Germany. France even knew that Greece didn't need the weapons.
3. That the EU were involved of the removal of the elected government.
4. That normal Greek people actually died due to the EU policies forced on Greece. That doesn't matter though just as long as the EU project rolls on.

Way to twist things round eh? Greece applied to join the euro, so why should the EU say no?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Way to twist things round eh? Greece applied to join the euro, so why should the EU say no?
Because they couldn't meet the criteria. Westdene is right on this one - there is no way two economies as disparate as Germany/Netherlands should have been bound with Greece/Portugal by a single currency.

It is this sort of thinking that was easy meat for the anti-EU brigade in the press. I'm all for the EU, but it is high time for a shake up.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Because they couldn't meet the criteria. Westdene is right on this one - there is no way two economies as disparate as Germany/Netherlands should have been bound with Greece/Portugal by a single currency.

It is this sort of thinking that was easy meat for the anti-EU brigade in the press. I'm all for the EU, but it is high time for a shake up.

The Greeks weren't forced or coerced into joining the euro. It was their government's decision. Should the EU have been a Big Brother and said no?
Who's minding the babysitter?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Sky News reporting 141 Tories have publicly stated they'll back The PM tonight thus far.

I thought The ERG oddballs were very quiet and conspicuous by their absence in PMQ's from what I saw of it too. Make of that what you will.

You just get the feeling she isn't going to lose, the moderates will still back her even if they don't back her deal.

Brief sterling rally I notice, before we are back to square one at 9pm tonight...

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The Greeks weren't forced or coerced into joining the euro. It was their government's decision. Should the EU have been a Big Brother and said no?

It's possible in that instance the EU could have played the concerned barman when a bloke has stumbled up completely battered and asked for a Jägerbomb: "Nah mate, you've had enough"

Can see it from both sides personally.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
FT reporting that a couple of whips might vote against her. She's got to be in trouble if the whips are turning.

You just get the feeling she isn't going to lose, the moderates will still back her even if they don't back her deal.

I still think she'll comfortably get her 158. As I said on one of the other threads this morning, the big thing is how many MP's, up to and beyond 100/circa 1/3 of the parliamentary party, do actually vote against her. Even if she wins, it's going to be difficult to continue if it's around or over that figure. This was an interesting take I noticed on her saying she won't fight the next election:

[tweet]1072859760028995584[/tweet]

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Because the EU set the rules for entry into the Euro. The rules were there to protect the currency and the Eurozone. They then turn a blind eye to those rules and wonder why a member gets into trouble. I know you're keen on rules being adhered to so why do you think the EU shouldn't enforce it's own rules with Greece and the Euro ?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm not sure there can be any debate over whether the EU completely f#### up by letting Greece in ?

I'm comfortable as remainer to say that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Because the EU set the rules for entry into the Euro. The rules were there to protect the currency and the Eurozone. They then turn a blind eye to those rules and wonder why a member gets into trouble. I know you're keen on rules being adhered to so why do you think the EU shouldn't enforce it's own rules with Greece and the Euro ?

Were the Greeks entirely honest about their situation beforehand? I know using the euro caused massive problems as prices double overnight.

Fair comment [MENTION=865]clapham_gull[/MENTION].

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The issue was that the Greeks fudged the criteria for entry, with the assistance of the EU, and even then the Greeks hadn't actually met the criteria by the deadline. The EU should have told them to wait.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro_convergence_criteria

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Her deal doesn't get through even if she does stay in, she's just managed to push the vote back to increase pressure on it. A disgraceful act and why Corbyn was right to show such anger at PMQs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here