Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Swansea U23s v Albion U23s (Mon Nov 26 - 7pm ko)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The post I quoted said that we were persisting with a 35 year old up front... to stop persisting you would need to drop Murray surely?

My response was to that specific point and yes I agree that 10-15 mins from the bench in the correct circumstances is the best way to go.

OK. :thumbsup:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Oh FFS! Nobody's suggesting dropping anybody! There's no reason why young players can't be on the bench though, and get a 10-15 minute run out at appropriate times - nobody needs to be dropped for that to happen.

Except we have internationals and experienced top flight first team players who aren't getting game time or even making the bench too. So the appropriate times are if we have an injury or suspension crisis or the FA Cup. See Locadia being replaced by Gyokeres last week when he was ill.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Really? You want to drop the 2nd top scorer in the Premier League to play a youngster who has no experience of first team football whilst in the middle of a relegation dogfight? And that 38yr old is our club captain and keeping out an ex Barcelona right back.

Yes Hughton seems reluctant to try anyone from the U23s - but who are you going to replace with who? White in for Dunk or Duffy? Connolly in for Murray?

There may be a case for trying Gyorkares wide as our wide players haven’t produced at all this season, but the best two players out of the U23 appear to be White and Connolly and they have players in front of them who are at the top of their game... just look at Balogun, a wonderful player who can’t get in himself!

We're only at the start of the relegation dogfight. As things are, we'll be in the middle of it during February/March.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I know going for FA Cup glory hasn't a good history with the club,but perhaps we could try a bit harder with a largish squad and the best U-23's to choose from?:angel:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Except we have internationals and experienced top flight first team players who aren't getting game time or even making the bench too. So the appropriate times are if we have an injury or suspension crisis or the FA Cup. See Locadia being replaced by Gyokeres last week when he was ill.

Except we have internationals and experienced top flight first team players who ................ may or may not do a better job. Being an international doesn't automatically put a player ahead of an un-capped one - Kayal is a full international - and a very useful player for our club - but few would select him ahead of Stephens, who is nowhere near an international cap - and full international Andone is showing no signs of displacing un-capped Murray at the moment.

Yes, yes, I know, CH knows best...........................

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Won't know until he's tried , can he be any worse than our other forward options ? the answer to that is no , because in the time they've had on the pitch non of the others have scored or assisted a goal yet this season .

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Except we have internationals and experienced top flight first team players who .....

I don't think i'm going out on a limb here but i'd think that any manager, not just Hughton, is going to look at Andone (La Liga/International) and Locadia with Murray clearly their #1 as their striker choices in preference to teenage u23s who've never played first team football.
As for Andone then he looks very likely, as things stand to be making his debut in the next few games.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Won't know until he's tried , can he be any worse than our other forward options ? the answer to that is no , because in the time they've had on the pitch non of the others have scored or assisted a goal yet this season .

Andone has been on the pitch for 47 minutes this season.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't think i'm going out on a limb here but i'd think that any manager, not just Hughton, is going to look at Andone (La Liga/International) and Locadia with Murray clearly their #1 as their striker choices in preference to teenage u23s who've never played first team football.
As for Andone then he looks very likely, as things stand to be making his debut in the next few games.

Yes, but if you look back through the posts, it is about substitutes, not replacements. Nobody has suggested replacing anybody.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yes, but if you look back through the posts, it is about substitutes, not replacements. Nobody has suggested replacing anybody.

I was replying to someone who said we "won't know until [they are] tried and can Connolly be "any worse" than our existing forward options so i assumed, perhaps rashly that he thought the lad should be in the team imminently and i guess Locadia, Murray and Andone shouldn't.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Not me, chief. I've met too many sailors in my time! :lolol:

Okay cheers, it must be some other Albion fan :wink:
It was from a distance, in the Spurs block to your left on that night, sadly not going to be playing there this season, or.............

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here