Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Ever written a book???

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 2719

I know we have some artistic types and grammar police on here so I thought this may be a good place to ask.

Have you written or co-written or work in this industry?

I have been approached regarding my knowledge in a subject by an author and I am unsure of what to do and need some advice, can I charge them? How much?

Do I open this up to more authors, do I need Glenn Murray's agent!

Any help appreciated.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I’ve just written one on football finance. Just had second review from editor and publisher and back to me for updates. It’s mainly research based so build that into your timeline. A bit like a diet it’s always easy to ‘start tomorrow’ so ringfence time slots when you are writing, cut yourself off from social media and have a target. 2,000 words a day is feasible but the hard hours start once you reach the editing stage. If you can’t take criticism don’t do it either, I’ve had some savage words from the others at times but on reflection have taken them on board (apparently calling Mike Dean a few choice names isn’t mature for example.

Don’t go into it to make money, do it for the love of the subject matter and/or because you enjoy writing, otherwise it will become a millstone.

Good luck!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Is the subject for the book football club customer relations?

D

Deleted member 2719

I’ve just written one on football finance. Just had second review from editor and publisher and back to me for updates. It’s mainly research based so build that into your timeline. A bit like a diet it’s always easy to ‘start tomorrow’ so ringfence time slots when you are writing, cut yourself off from social media and have a target. 2,000 words a day is feasible but the hard hours start once you reach the editing stage. If you can’t take criticism don’t do it either, I’ve had some savage words from the others at times but on reflection have taken them on board (apparently calling The Complete And Utter Shyster a few choice names isn’t mature for example.

Don’t go into it to make money, do it for the love of the subject matter and/or because you enjoy writing, otherwise it will become a millstone.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice and well done:clap2::clap2: may it outsell JK!!

Is David Walliams mature, he has sold a few books albeit a different market!

I am thick skinned as you may have noticed (daughter still hasn't got her shirt)!

I am not sure I really want to do it as I have another project on the go which needs full focus, however, I am reluctant to give away which I feel could be information which could sell a few copies and have other revenue streams.
The author that has approached me via social media seems very keen to extract a lot from me and I do want to help, but I really think what I have is too valuable just to give away.

What could I charge???

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
...it’s always easy to ‘start tomorrow’ so ringfence time slots when you are writing

Very much this.

I haven't written a book but I have written numerous magazine articles, some of which I have been paid (very little!) for, and most of which I haven't. But my stuff generally seems to receive warm and genuine feedback. The next step for me - just because I want to - is to have a crack at writing something more substantial. If I devoted half the time I spend on here to writing, I could have most likely written several books by now. (Of course, whether they would actually ever be published is another question entirely).

As El Presidente says, my biggest problem is procrastination and other stuff generally getting in the way. But it is interesting that he suggests 2000 words a day is a good benchmark. That is about 4-sides of A4 single-spaced which hardly seems arduous - particularly when you get in the flow. So high time I got of my arse and made a start.

Tomorrow it is!

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I know we have some artistic types and grammar police on here so I thought this may be a good place to ask.

Have you written or co-written or work in this industry?

I have been approached regarding my knowledge in a subject by an author and I am unsure of what to do and need some advice, can I charge them? How much?

Do I open this up to more authors, do I need Glenn Murray's agent!

Any help appreciated.

I worked in editorial in publishing for a while, and am still heavily involved in the industry. It completely depends on how many copies the book is expected to sell as to how well it is paid but you will not make any money unless you write the thing (and even then, unless it is a bestseller, it'll not be enough to make a living).

To be honest, do you have any more information without giving the game away? How involved are you? Are you the only person apart from the author to be involved? How big is the publisher? Does the author have an agent? How are they being paid (up-front or royalties)?

D

Deleted member 2719

Is the subject for the book football club customer relations?

Now there is an idea!

If it was PB would be on me for a cut!

The real issue here is I am in the minority when it comes to principles, give it a few years I am sure it will go full circle again.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Thanks for the advice and well done:clap2::clap2: may it outsell JK!!

Is David Walliams mature, he has sold a few books albeit a different market!

I am thick skinned as you may have noticed (daughter still hasn't got her shirt)!

I am not sure I really want to do it as I have another project on the go which needs full focus, however, I am reluctant to give away which I feel could be information which could sell a few copies and have other revenue streams.
The author that has approached me via social media seems very keen to extract a lot from me and I do want to help, but I really think what I have is too valuable just to give away.

What could I charge???

Seriously, if what you have to offer is THAT valuable, then go it alone. Else the author will give you a 'ta very much' in the acknowlegements bit of the book. And absolutely no money. Trust me on this one.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
It does sound to me as though the other person is the author and that you are simply providing him with commercial and/or/technical insight? As you clearly understand the area, could you not just work to typical consultancy rates?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've co-written one. It was interesting to do but when I added the amount of time I spent on it and counted it against the amount I earned, I was earning less than the minimum wage.

I'll wait until retirement to do more

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I would love to be an author. The only thing holding me back is a complete lack of talent. The idea of disappearing off to your remote cottage in the wilds for 6 months, to work at your own pace to conjure up your latest best-seller really appeals.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I am seriously contemplating writing one, just a question of getting my head in the right place, sorting out the plot/s, taking a deep breath and cutting myself off from the world for as long as it takes. Not much to do really!! Will probably remain in my head forever!!

D

Deleted member 2719

Seriously, if what you have to offer is THAT valuable, then go it alone. Else the author will give you a 'ta very much' in the acknowlegements bit of the book. And absolutely no money. Trust me on this one.

Of course this is my opinion.

So when you did "readers husbands" you never got paid:ohmy:

It does sound to me as though the other person is the author and that you are simply providing him with commercial and/or/technical insight? As you clearly understand the area, could you not just work to typical consultancy rates?

That is exactly right Rob, where would you go on this with rates, a percentage of sales? How much would be a win-win?

I've co-written one. It was interesting to do but when I added the amount of time I spent on it and counted it against the amount I earned, I was earning less than the minimum wage.

I'll wait until retirement to do more

Maybe the sequel will be the big one! Good luck.

I would love to be an author. The only thing holding me back is a complete lack of talent. The idea of disappearing off to your remote cottage in the wilds for 6 months, to work at your own pace to conjure up your latest best-seller really appeals.

Okay so whats your rates? a half and half scarf with Palarse!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Of course this is my opinion.

So when you did "readers husbands" you never got paid:ohmy:

That is exactly right Rob, where would you go on this with rates, a percentage of sales? How much would be a win-win?

Maybe the sequel will be the big one! Good luck.

Okay so whats your rates? a half and half scarf with Palarse!

Reality check mate: maybe ask the contributors to Build A Bonfire or We Want Falmer! how much money they made out of the book. I'd suggest a big fat zero. Then ask the authors. I'd further suggest they made not a lot more. In the end it's one to stick on the bookshelf and show to your kids and grandkids.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Reality check mate: maybe ask the contributors to Build A Bonfire or We Want Falmer! how much money they made out of the book.

Just my opinion, but 'Build a Bonfire' was very misleading. I read it twice then in end just took all my garden clippings to the local recycling centre instead.

Disappointing.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I wrote the Local Procedures Manual for Gatwick Airport for British Airways, consisted of over 200 technical documents each containing a 1000 words or more. Have to say once proof read by a colleague I very much doubt they were ever read again! Printing volume of approx. 20 copies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here