Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think he was joking about the contradictory responses i got asking the same question to 3 different people- hence that went well - beauty is in the eye of the beholder

No he wasn't.

He took your 'How's the £ doing'? as an anti-brexit comment, then got all excited with a succession of positive replies (completely ignoring that two of them entirely contradict each other on what should be considered positive...)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Good point. When I read about the incraeasing number of Brits coming to Germany I must admit it did send a shudder down my spine; the football match against Amsterdam was a timely reminder of typical British behavior. I’m also aware of that London is losing control of its streets to gangs. That hard border with Britain can’t come soon enough.

article-0-0BFF2FAA000005DC-977_233x352.jpg

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
a) Because we're leaving the EU and the contract was up
b) It's only remainers making a big deal of it
c) No it couldn't be blue before - we signed up to the deal that meant it had to follow the EU preferred design. It could have been blue if we hadn't signed up but we did.
d) Because the contract has come to an end AND we're leaving the EU ..... very simple really !!!!

a. Fair enough
b. Haha. this is meant to be funny, presumably? So the Daily Mail etc haven't run numerous front pages getting all excited about getting blue books back (and a load more getting OUTRAGED about the new ones being printed in France)?
c. Happy to be directed to something to back this up, but my understanding is quite the opposite. that we were entirely free to choose blue all along, but chose to go with the standard EU norm. The Irish have just admitted after questions from the public, that they've been free to have green covers all along.
d. Fair enough

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
a. Fair enough
b. Haha. this is meant to be funny, presumably? So the Daily Mail etc haven't run numerous front pages getting all excited about getting blue books back (and a load more getting OUTRAGED about the new ones being printed in France)?
c. Happy to be directed to something to back this up, but my understanding is quite the opposite. that we were entirely free to choose blue all along, but chose to go with the standard EU norm. The Irish have just admitted after questions from the public, that they've been free to have green covers all along.
d. Fair enough

b. On here it's only remainers get their knickers in a twist about the colour - particularly [MENTION=15363]Plooks[/MENTION]
c. [MENTION=21401]pastafarian[/MENTION] I think it was that posted the regulation we voluntarily signed up to.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
b. On here it's only remainers get their knickers in a twist about the colour - particularly [MENTION=15363]Plooks[/MENTION]
c. [MENTION=21401]pastafarian[/MENTION] I think it was that posted the regulation we voluntarily signed up to.

b. Fair enough - I've only rarely dipped in, so take your word for it.
c. Is 'voluntarily' not the pertinent word there?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I think this is self-explanatory for those that read.Perhaps it will stay here without getting deleted this time.

1981.png

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
a) not a reason why the colour needs changing
b) it has been portated by Brexiteers. A quick example: "Tory MP Andrew Rosindell, who campaigned to bring back the blue passport, tweeted: "A great Christmas present for those who care about our national identity"
c) we don't have to be part of the preferred gesign. We can have our own and be in the EU. Not all the countries in the EU are bound by this and neither are we as we could opt out.
d) does not answer the question.

a) NOBODY has said the colour HAS to change
b) On here it's only remainers such as you that seem to have a problem with the change of colour
c) Once we'd signed up we had to follow the regulations - that's how rules work
d) Who has said the new blue passport gives the passport holder any additional benefits ?

You're moaning for the sake of moaning. Get over it.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Because it provides no functional benefit.

Explain how it works better?

Er, that does not explain why the colour of a passport affects its usage.

Still no respomse on why a blue passport works betrer than a red one.

Why does a passport have to actually work better dependant on the colour or be functional according to colour? Just what is it you are expecting the colour to do?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
More numbers on the cold winds in the restaurants industry. Research from accountancy firm UHY Hacker Young has found that the combined profits of the UK’s top 100 restaurant groups have fallen by over 60% in the past 12 months from £345m to £125m. Earlier research by the same company found that a third of those top 100 companies are now loss making.

Food industry not looking good. Want me to give Bob Geldof a call to feed you all?

It's Easter time, there's no need to be afraid
At Easter time, we let in light and we banish shade
And in my country of plenty we can spread a smileof joy
Throw your arms around the Little Englanders at Easter Time.

Wouldnt this information have more significant relevance to be posted amongst restaurant reviews in the restaurant thread as opposed to the Brexit thread.
Didnt you pick it up at the back end of a restaurant review in the food and drink section in the first place.?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...ses-you-into-a-welcome-coma-restaurant-review

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
I am trying to understand the reason for the change. In order to change something there has to be a reason. Right?

Things can change regardless ..... you know that don't you ? No, you're not trying to understand the reason for the change of colour, you're just grizzling because we're leaving the EU. You've already made it perfectly clear that you hate all leave voters and hate old people.

It's like trying to converse with a six year old having a tantrum. Remind me where you live ? Please say it's Stoke !

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
Yea things can change. But why? Is it wrong to ask the government to justify something when they change it? Or are you ok with them just changing stuff...you know because.

Did you ask why our passports changed from the original navy blue to the burgundy ? Why is this change so upsetting for you ?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
There is some semblance of a reason there. A multi-country standard. Its not a great reason though.

Nope .... once again you've not answered the question. You're grizzling because you don't wish to leave the EU. I guess it won't affect you though as you live outside the UK.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I think this is self-explanatory for those that read.Perhaps it will stay here without getting deleted this time.

View attachment 95918

Indeed, and further to that resolution that said the passports must be burgundy red if we decided to sign up to the package on standardised passports, there was a supplementary resolution that gave further clarity.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:41982X0716&from=EN

"The colour of the cover of the passport introduced by each Member State is as close as possible to RAL standard 4004 (Bordeaux red - violet) laid down by the German Standardization Committee."

Not only can we blame us for signing up to the package and The EU for specifying the colour but we can blame the Germans for going into anal detail :lol:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
So why is this any different to the government making them blue? WE never got a say!

Who cares what colour it is,i would prefer British Racing Green but again so what,if the public chose it would be the colour of Passporty Mcpassportface, whatever that is.....The important thing is to remove European Union from the front to show we are no longer in that vile political union.A different colour from the EU specified colour (if we chose to sign up to it, which we did) is just an added bonus showing we are no longer part of their club.
What have you got against blue? Cant you buy a burgundy passport cover if you prefer that colour............get a grip chap.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Who cares what colour it is,i would prefer British Racing Green but again so what,if the public chose it would be the colour of Passporty Mcpassportface, whatever that is.....The important thing is to remove European Union from the front to show we are no longer in that vile political union.A different colour from the EU specified colour (if we chose to sign up to it, which we did) is just an added bonus showing we are no longer part of their club.
What have you got against blue? Cant you buy a burgundy passport cover if you prefer that colour............get a grip chap.

Interesting that you make a nod to the daft choices that are sometimes made, when you ask the British Public to choose.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here