Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I'm in! Not done a marathon before but ran the 10k on Sunday fearing I would catch the bug. Loved every minute of it and...caught the bug!

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Right just signed up to this and the Swindon half (October 2014). Longest run (ever) to date is about 11km. Need to start some training...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm gonna give it a miss next year. Might go down the volunteering route, or just go and watch and support. Good luck with the training everyone...

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
After signing up and optimistically suggesting I'd be in the 3:45-4:00 bracket I then looked up my VDOT score on http://www.runsmartproject.com/calculator/ which gave me 50.8

My longest run to date is around 11km. I can do a 5k in 19:40, but that is the absolute limit, I'm shattered afterwards. I tend to find I'm much better at short 'sprints' rather than endurance, and that also applies to cycling and swimming.

Putting this into the calculation suggests I could do a marathon in 3:08, which seems way out of my reach.

Has anyone else worked with these calculations before? How accurate have you found them?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
After signing up and optimistically suggesting I'd be in the 3:45-4:00 bracket I then looked up my VDOT score on http://www.runsmartproject.com/calculator/ which gave me 50.8

My longest run to date is around 11km. I can do a 5k in 19:40, but that is the absolute limit, I'm shattered afterwards. I tend to find I'm much better at short 'sprints' rather than endurance, and that also applies to cycling and swimming.

Putting this into the calculation suggests I could do a marathon in 3:08, which seems way out of my reach.

Has anyone else worked with these calculations before? How accurate have you found them?

They are pretty good.

They are dependant on you doing the right training though.

Time to start building the Sunday Runs!

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

I agree with Bob they are reasonably accurate if you put the training in. That said, I think for a more accurate marathon time you need at least a guide 10k, but preferably a half, rather than just a 5k sprint.

My only 5k time was at a Parkrun last Saturday-20'04. And I forgot my Garmin! So after a couple more Parkruns under my belt I reckon we would be pretty similar in terms of 5k PB. So to assist you:

My 10k pb is 41'35 (Brighton 2010)
My half pb is 1'33'38 (Paddock Wood 2014)
My full pb is 3'27'08 (Brighton 2012)

The McMillan calculator suggests my 5k, 10k and half times are all pretty much spot on with each other, but my full should be a bit better at between 3'16/3'17.

To do a 3'08 you will probably have to run 4-5 times a week for the 14 or so weeks prior, peaking at c50 miles a week! I only flag this, as your longest run to date is only 6.5miles. Its a big commitment and I wish you the very best with it!

My suggestion would be to train through summer and see how you get on with a half in the autumn and go from there, rather than focus straight away on the big one.

As you will have read from a number of recent posts on this thread by this year's Brighton marathon runners, its not just what you are capable of, but as importantly arriving on the start line on one particular day, with weather suitable for fast times (not too hot/cold/wet/windy), and with your body/mind in tip top condition, having done full training without that training bringing on injury during training or on race day.

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
[MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] is now signed up for 26 miles round Brighton next April too :clap2:

#TeamNSC

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
A belated well done to all the Brighton Marathon runners and good luck to everyone signed up for next year.

I ran London yesterday in 3:29:41. Not a PB for me but I've had quite a disrupted training, so am more than happy with the time. Thanks again to [MENTION=6891]chimneys[/MENTION]. I'm not sure I'd have had the mental strength to finish if I hadn't done your recommended 22 miler two weeks ago.

Happy running all!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I completed my first race for a long long time on Saturday night which was a half-marathon around Berlin Brandenburg Airport in 01:40. A slightly unusual race as it took in both runways (which had the landing lights on) of the unopened new airport and a circuit of the terminal building. It was also unusual in that there were no supporters allowed on the course so it was ran in near silence other than the breathing of participants and pitter-patter of running shoes. I say near silence as the runways are parallel to the runway at Shonefeld so there occasional planes taking off and landing. I've had an achilles problem for the past few months and this race was a bit of a test and it seems to have held up well.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
[MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] is now signed up for 26 miles round Brighton next April too :clap2:

#TeamNSC

I must need my bumps felt. Have enrolled for the Mersey 10k in three weeks, which will be my first race in 25 years.

:MoreEnthusiasmThanSense:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Could someone recommend the best headphones for running? I have some B&W but they keep falling out.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here