Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks HT. It's been the best preparation of the 5 for me with no injuries to speak of and fairly decent weather on the whole. Hoping for another year on year improvement. Man flu this last week might have an effect but hopefully not. Good luck everyone.

The miles are in the bank; I bet you don't even think about the man-flu when you get going. Good luck though. Im looking forward to hearing how you all get on.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The miles are in the bank; I bet you don't even think about the man-flu when you get going. Good luck though. Im looking forward to hearing how you all get on.

I trust you are right as I have been suffering man flu myself for the last 3 days. Nought to be done but to give it the best tomorrow and then down some Sunday afternoon pints. Like beardy the training preparation has been perfect and injury free for the first time in 10 years. Whatever happens tomorrow at least I have temporarily said goodbye to my shag handles (sure they will be back in a few weeks).

Enjoy it everyone.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I trust you are right as I have been suffering man flu myself for the last 3 days. Nought to be done but to give it the best tomorrow and then down some Sunday afternoon pints. Like beardy the training preparation has been perfect and injury free for the first time in 10 years. Whatever happens tomorrow at least I have temporarily said goodbye to my shag handles (sure they will be back in a few weeks).

Enjoy it everyone.

I am sure you have a few doubts, it's only natural as running 26.2 is not normal behaviour. But imho if you have the miles in the bank you are almost home. One last push; you'll be fine.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
oh what a beautiful morning, oh what a beautiful day. The porridge with soya milk, coconut fat, ground brazil nuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds and chia seeds is going down well. The hot lemon water is much better than a latte or cortado coffee. The wind is less than forecast and the rain originally forecast is now only forecast to be drizzle.

Revised time by 7 minutes due to snotty cold. So plan A beat 3:50.20 set by the bloke who will be turning up at various points today to shout abuse from his bike. Plan B sub 4 hours. Plan C finish. the final plan is inevitable roast chicken and pints of Harveys.

enjoy the day all runners, cheerers, drummers and food banks.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Good luck to all of you doing Brighton & Paris this weekend.

I'm doing SDW50 on Saturday, sub 12hrs would be good, expecting about 12hr 45.

If you want to practice giving out oranges & jelly babies I should be going through Ditchling Beacon just after 2pm!

Well....

11hrs 5mins 41.

Well chuffed with that!

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
Did a half marathon today in 1:40:20 :) very happy! my fastest run.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I didn't do any running, but I did walk about 6 miles while cheering for all the Brighton marathon runners, & I've decided to sign up again to run next year when entry opens.

Got to trim a bit more off my last time.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
oh what a beautiful morning, oh what a beautiful day. The porridge with soya milk, coconut fat, ground brazil nuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds and chia seeds is going down well. The hot lemon water is much better than a latte or cortado coffee. The wind is less than forecast and the rain originally forecast is now only forecast to be drizzle.

Revised time by 7 minutes due to snotty cold. So plan A beat 3:50.20 set by the bloke who will be turning up at various points today to shout abuse from his bike. Plan B sub 4 hours. Plan C finish. the final plan is inevitable roast chicken and pints of Harveys.

enjoy the day all runners, cheerers, drummers and food banks.

I failed with the inevitable plan roast chicken and pints of Harveys. I drank Spitfire and red wine instead of Harveys.

Plan A came home. I failed to get 3:50:20 by 8 seconds despite finishing last half mile at 7:30 pace. Despondent only to have bloke on bike to ring to say I had his time wrong and I had BEATEN him by 1 second.

The decision now is whether to go for the 3:45 I know is (or was) in me next year.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I failed with the inevitable plan roast chicken and pints of Harveys. I drank Spitfire and red wine instead of Harveys.

Plan A came home. I failed to get 3:50:20 by 8 seconds despite finishing last half mile at 7:30 pace. Despondent only to have bloke on bike to ring to say I had his time wrong and I had BEATEN him by 1 second.

The decision now is whether to go for the 3:45 I know is (or was) in me next year.

Great work today. I finished in 3:55:27 so incredibly pleased, although it was the toughest experience of my life - Some real soul searching at times.

I had 2 bottles of Brewdog Punk IPA after followed by a pint of Guinness and two glasses of Malbec in the Connaught with a roast chicken dinner and an upside down banana cake with vanilla custard.

Thanks for the IT band tips, pleased to say no issues today although my groin was tight from mile 10.

http://connect.garmin.com/page/activity/splits.faces?activityId=474907892&cid=89245

Please to have a cushion for the end as I definitely needed it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Great work today. I finished in 3:55:27 so incredibly pleased, although it was the toughest experience of my life - Some real soul searching at times.

I had 2 bottles of Brewdog Punk IPA after followed by a pint of Guinness and two glasses of Malbec in the Connaught with a roast chicken dinner and an upside down banana cake with vanilla custard.

Thanks for the IT band tips, pleased to say no issues today although my groin was tight from mile 10.

http://connect.garmin.com/page/activity/splits.faces?activityId=474907892&cid=89245

Please to have a cushion for the end as I definitely needed it.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/475258018

I have just found out that I got to 9.9mph for the finish. It was wind assisted and down hill but impressed with that. No idea where my 5k pace came from.

I thank you in return for the rolling pin in place of a roller advice and have decided to enter for next year as sub 3:40 is the new target.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Posted on the 'Marathon Results' thread:

"4:59 for me, having completed my Olympic Triathlon beforehand.

During the bike leg of that, I crashed after 10 miles, but carried on and was patched up by St Johns. They told me that there was NO WAY I could run, and there was a risk my leg might have to be amputated (no word of a lie), but I ignored them as the adrenaline and sheer-bloodymindedness took over.

Started Triathlon at 5:30am, finished marathon at 14:22. After that, spent six hours (and got 26 stitches for my trouble) at Worthing A&E, eventually getting home around midnight.

Certainly a day to remember, made all the better for the amazing crowds, including the hundreds wondering why I was running in a bike helmet and goggles…

Hopefully, the story will be part of the marathon coverage on Saturday on Channel Four."

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Posted on the 'Marathon Results' thread:

"4:59 for me, having completed my Olympic Triathlon beforehand.

During the bike leg of that, I crashed after 10 miles, but carried on and was patched up by St Johns. They told me that there was NO WAY I could run, and there was a risk my leg might have to be amputated (no word of a lie), but I ignored them as the adrenaline and sheer-bloodymindedness took over.

Started Triathlon at 5:30am, finished marathon at 14:22. After that, spent six hours (and got 26 stitches for my trouble) at Worthing A&E, eventually getting home around midnight.

Certainly a day to remember, made all the better for the amazing crowds, including the hundreds wondering why I was running in a bike helmet and goggles…

Hopefully, the story will be part of the marathon coverage on Saturday on Channel Four."

Good effort a triathlon, a marathon run, a marathon fundraising, a marathon wait in A&E and just .2 away from a marathon amount of stitches!

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I've just signed up for the Brighton marathon in 2015 again :clap:

So, it seems, has [MENTION=687]Carrot Cruncher[/MENTION]

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here