Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Easter Bunny CD 2015

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Oh and I have been correctly guessed for the cd I sent but not by the person who received it. Do we need a list for those too!! I do not have a hangover for the first new year in ages. Means I can look forward to the football later knowing my head will be clear.

Corgi, you are sensible. I heard a great track last night: Black Sail by Chastity Belt. On a friend's best of 2013 - we have a tradition of making these for NYE.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I'm going to take a wild guess and my official guess is: [MENTION=1131]JoeyJoJoJr.Shabadoo[/MENTION] ?

Last edited:

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Here's my review, just before the name and shame deadline. Artwork nice and simple with a pic of Capello getting a little extra attention on the front and track list on the back

Right Hear Right Now - Fatboy Slim :Classic good dance track that builds brilliantly. Surprisingly it stands the test of time and reminds me of the cold wet days of Withdean
Club foot - Kasbian :Never really liked Kasbian although got to say this is a good track, heavy riff and drums that work well with Meighan vocals
All along the watchtower - Jimmy Hendrix : Great Hendrix choice. Hendrix has grown on me as i have got older. As you expect lots of great Hendrix solos For me better than Dylans original
On the road again - Canned Heat : Have not heard this track for years but a big fan,love Wilsons vocals on this track and the American blues sound.
Joker and the thief - Wolfmother: Never heard this track/group before but liked the psychedilic rock sounds. Reminded me a bit of White Stripes
The man came around - Johnny cash: Great Jonny Cash song, love the lyrics.
New shoes - paolo nutini: Not a bit fan, find his stuff a bit middle of the road
No one knows - Queens of the Stone Age: One of my fav tracks of theres and never get bored of. Great guitar sound, great riff.
Paranoid - Black sabath: bit of Classic rock here. good fun track
Step on - Happy Mondays: Never really was into the baggy madchester scene (more of an indie kid) but step on is a great track and pretty much is the icon tune of the time. The indie/dance crossover
What doesn't kill you - Jake bugg: Great track, liked the jagid guitar with his voice. Have not heard his music before (but heard lots of good stuff) will listen to the rest of his album now
Born slippy (Nuxx) - Underworld: Again another classic dance track. Not sure what the Nuxx version is different from the original?. Unfortunately have heard it too much
Woman - Wolfmaster: A second appearance, must be a Santa fav. Not liked it as much as the first, bit more into the heavy metal genre
Wish you were here - Pink Floyd: Nice track, don't listen to pink Floyd much but liked the easy acoustic sound of this one
You reallly got me - The Kinks: Classic track, very nice
Turn the page - The Streets: bit of memory lane for me with this one. Thought the streets were great at the time but stopped listening to them so good to hear this one again. Great beat and sample.
End Credits - Chas & Status, Plan B: It's ok, not my bag as they say, much prefer it when the drums drop out
Lola - Kinks: Great track and a very apt one to finish on.

Thanks Santa, lots of classic tracks through several decades and a few gems i have not heard. Also quite a cross over of different genres of music. Oh and i have no idea who sent it, i might try and look through some of the music threads on here for clues

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Well done [MENTION=20101]TotallyFreaked[/MENTION] for avoiding the chopping block.

The rest of you ought to be damn well ashamed of yourself, you've made me physically sick. And on Christmas, too.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Right I've finally managed to listen to both CD's enough to form a proper opinion on every track, and now have the time to write out my review

Sorry to my Secret Santa for taking so long
I don't have my CD to hand so can't take a picture, but the sleeve was very well designed, with a picture of Bridcutt on one side and Peter Ward on the other. This was a double CD, with side Bridcutt being songs from 2013, and side Ward spanning from the 60's until 2012. This post will have the Bridcutt side review on it, I'll do another post with the Ward Side in a post below

Side Bridcutt:
Melt Yourself Down - Fix My Life - To be honest I didn't particularly like this track, think the Sax on it was too harsh and it didn't really do anything for me
Pinkunoizu - Moped - I liked this song, the limited vocals were good, not sure what it reminded me of, but I liked it, kind of a psychedelic wall of sound
Dirty Beaches - I Dream in Neon - I didn't like this song, found it a bit boring and didn't like the vocals - sounds a little bit like Oasis in a way, and I don't like Oasis
Run the Jewels - Get It - I'm a fan of hip-hop, so I enjoyed this. It's a solid track and one I listened to a lot
Boards of Canada - Cold Earth - I liked this track, sounds like something you'd hear on Goldeneye on the N64, nice melody and it suits a certain mood, but I'm not exactly sure what that is
Blondes - Elise - Takes a while to get going but I really like this - sounds like something Bonobo would make, has a nice Asian theme to it, really like the instrument used (not sure what it is, but I really like music that uses it) and its a relaxing tune - I'll be looking at more of their stuff
Julia Holter - Godess Eyes - I liked this, and carried on the theme of a chilled out track with some nice spacey vocals, I really like her voice, I'd look into more of her stuff after hearing this
Joanna Gruesome - Graveyard - Now, I've always been more keen on Electronic music or Hip-Hop, bar a bit of Feeder and other rock when I was younger, and I haven't listened to much of it in a while, but i REALLY liked this song. Took me back to playing Gran Turismo in the 90s/00s - will look into Joanna Gruesome, I'm hoping it's not a one-off track
Girls Names - Hypnotic Regression - Same as above, couldn't ever seeing myself searching for a track like this, but I love it. Kind of 70s/80s style rock, love the lazy guitar riffs and the vocals. Same as above, hope the rest of their stuff is like this
Thee Oh Sees - Floating Coffin - Same as above, but didn't like this song as much as the others, still a good track though
Machinedrum - Gunshotta - I love Machinedrum, I have this album and it's great. Chilled out d&b/juke-style, not my favourite track on the album, but its still a great song
Grumbling Fur - Protogenesis - Not really sure if I like this song or not, have listened to it a lot, and I guess I'm just a bit neutral. It's not bad at all, but it's a little bit boring
Forest Swords - An Hour - Liked this - had another kind of Asian-theme going on with it (maybe a hang drum in there idk) very relaxed, will look out for more from Forest Swords
John Hopkins - Open Eye Signal - Quite liked this - not the kind of dance music i listen to all that often, but it's good - haven't really listened to John Hopkins before this, and I will have a look through his other stuff
**** Buttons - The Red Wing This is a good track - sounds like a kind of 90s style dance track from somebody like Chemical Brothers - could imagine hearing this in some kind of dramatic disaster movie

Overall, there's a lot here that I really wouldn't have listened to without getting this CD, and I'm glad I got it - I think my tastes are a bit blinkered, so it was refreshing to listen to something new so that I can now go out and look for - a varied selection of music and the user definitely has good taste

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Right I've finally managed to listen to both CD's enough to form a proper opinion on every track, and now have the time to write out my review

I don't have my CD to hand so can't take a picture, but the sleeve was very well designed, with a picture of Bridcutt on one side and Peter Ward on the other. This was a double CD, with side Bridcutt being songs from 2013, and side Ward spanning from the 60's until 2012. This post will have the Bridcutt side review on it, I'll do another post with the Ward Side in a post below

Side Bridcutt:
Melt Yourself Down - Fix My Life - To be honest I didn't particularly like this track, think the Sax on it was too harsh and it didn't really do anything for me
Pinkunoizu - Moped - I liked this song, the limited vocals were good, not sure what it reminded me of, but I liked it, kind of a psychedelic wall of sound
Dirty Beaches - I Dream in Neon - I didn't like this song, found it a bit boring and didn't like the vocals - sounds a little bit like Oasis in a way, and I don't like Oasis
Run the Jewels - Get It - I'm a fan of hip-hop, so I enjoyed this. It's a solid track and one I listened to a lot
Boards of Canada - Cold Earth - I liked this track, sounds like something you'd hear on Goldeneye on the N64, nice melody and it suits a certain mood, but I'm not exactly sure what that is
Blondes - Elise - Takes a while to get going but I really like this - sounds like something Bonobo would make, has a nice Asian theme to it, really like the instrument used (not sure what it is, but I really like music that uses it) and its a relaxing tune - I'll be looking at more of their stuff
Julia Holter - Godess Eyes - I liked this, and carried on the theme of a chilled out track with some nice spacey vocals, I really like her voice, I'd look into more of her stuff after hearing this
Joanna Gruesome - Graveyard - Now, I've always been more keen on Electronic music or Hip-Hop, bar a bit of Feeder and other rock when I was younger, and I haven't listened to much of it in a while, but i REALLY liked this song. Took me back to playing Gran Turismo in the 90s/00s - will look into Joanna Gruesome, I'm hoping it's not a one-off track
Girls Names - Hypnotic Regression - Same as above, couldn't ever seeing myself searching for a track like this, but I love it. Kind of 70s/80s style rock, love the lazy guitar riffs and the vocals. Same as above, hope the rest of their stuff is like this
Thee Oh Sees - Floating Coffin - Same as above, but didn't like this song as much as the others, still a good track though
Machinedrum - Gunshotta - I love Machinedrum, I have this album and it's great. Chilled out d&b/juke-style, not my favourite track on the album, but its still a great song
Grumbling Fur - Protogenesis - Not really sure if I like this song or not, have listened to it a lot, and I guess I'm just a bit neutral. It's not bad at all, but it's a little bit boring
Forest Swords - An Hour - Liked this - had another kind of Asian-theme going on with it (maybe a hang drum in there idk) very relaxed, will look out for more from Forest Swords
John Hopkins - Open Eye Signal - Quite liked this - not the kind of dance music i listen to all that often, but it's good - haven't really listened to John Hopkins before this, and I will have a look through his other stuff
**** Buttons - The Red Wing This is a good track - sounds like a kind of 90s style dance track from somebody like Chemical Brothers - could imagine hearing this in some kind of dramatic disaster movie

Overall, there's a lot here that I really wouldn't have listened to without getting this CD, and I'm glad I got it - I think my tastes are a bit blinkered, so it was refreshing to listen to something new so that I can now go out and look for - a varied selection of music and the user definitely has good taste

I think I know whose work this is. Radiation. Too much.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Right I've got the review for Side Ward now

Side Ward:
My Bloody Valentine - You Made Me Realise - I'll be honest, I would see MBV and avoid them normally, no idea why but just stupid preconceptions I guess. Actually, its a good track, kind of lazy spaced out rock - its good
HEALTH - Die Slow - Found this track a little bit weird and didn't like it all that much, I can't explain why (considering I seem to like other tracks that are similar to this, who knows)
Swans - Blind - Sorry, just not my kind of music - didn't like his voice either
Theo Parish - Sweet Sticky - This was cool - funky tune, but you have to really like it as it goes on for a while and there isn't much variation to it
Oneohtrix Point Never - Sleep Dealer - To be honest, I've never really heard anything much like this before - it's kinda cool in a very weird kind of way, I like that it doesn't follow normal convention in terms of breakdowns etc - what a weird name
Jessica Pratt - Mountain'r Lower - Bit surprised when I saw this was from 2012 - Country & Western style. Never listened to this genre much, but I don't dislike it, some nice harmonies and she has a good voice
Anais Mitchell - Why We Build The Wall - I would have maybe liked this song if it didn't have the male vocal in it, I just found it annoying
Chad Van Gaalen - Your Own Mind's End - Again, not a genre I listen to much, kind of folky but it's quite a cool song - i normally dislike folk but I've only really heard the more mainstream stuff - would look at more from Chad Van Gaalen I think
Can - Vitamin C - funky music from the 70s - guys got a great voice. i didnt love it, but i might check more out because his voice is really good and I've never really delved into the depths of music before when I was born. Says it was from 1972 but could easily see it released now and still be well received
Captain Beefheart - Moonlight on Vermont - This is from 1969, but I didnt really like it, couldn't tell you why though....
Burning Spear - Lion - Nice reggae track - don't really listen to anything like this outside of maybe some Bob Marley I would have heard. I didnt love it, but its good
Dr John - You Lie - Really didn't like this
Liars - The Other Side of Mt Heart Attack - I've heard this song before in a movie (500 days of summer maybe) without knowing who made it and I really love it - proper relaxing, emotional stuff, tears flowing
Emeralds - Double Helix - very sci-fi-esque track - quite relaxing, but not sure if i really like it, or just think its ok
Machinedrum - Door(s) - as said before I love Machinedrum, and this is one of my favourite tracks - amazing song and his style is definitely genre-splitting. Definitely give it a listen
Women - Heat Distraction - Quite like this - some cool guitar riffs, not sure about the vocals
Deerhunter - Spring Hall Convert - Listened to a bit of Deerhunter before but not this track - like it, kinda spacey folky music, very chilled, very nice
Black Lips - New Direction - Never really listened to Black Lips, I'm aware of them but normally just avoided it - but I liked this song, fun track and I like the tempo

Overall, this was far more varied than the other disc, which I liked. A lot more here that I would never have listened to, and I'm glad I did, definitely opened my eyes to some genres I had previously shunned for no reason other than I assume prejudice or the fact that it was before my time so I couldnt be bothered.

I have NO idea who this is, but I'd like to know, because their taste in music is very, very good. I used to have a mate I worked with, and we spent all day trading tracks and different music via spotify & soundcloud and it expanded my tastes immensely, I could imagine this person could do the same too (oh dear that sounds like a dating ad) - my wild guess is [MENTION=4675]Frutos[/MENTION]

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Right I've got the review for Side Ward now

Side Ward:
My Bloody Valentine - You Made Me Realise - I'll be honest, I would see MBV and avoid them normally, no idea why but just stupid preconceptions I guess. Actually, its a good track, kind of lazy spaced out rock - its good
HEALTH - Die Slow - Found this track a little bit weird and didn't like it all that much, I can't explain why (considering I seem to like other tracks that are similar to this, who knows)
Swans - Blind - Sorry, just not my kind of music - didn't like his voice either
Theo Parish - Sweet Sticky - This was cool - funky tune, but you have to really like it as it goes on for a while and there isn't much variation to it
Oneohtrix Point Never - Sleep Dealer - To be honest, I've never really heard anything much like this before - it's kinda cool in a very weird kind of way, I like that it doesn't follow normal convention in terms of breakdowns etc - what a weird name
Jessica Pratt - Mountain'r Lower - Bit surprised when I saw this was from 2012 - Country & Western style. Never listened to this genre much, but I don't dislike it, some nice harmonies and she has a good voice
Anais Mitchell - Why We Build The Wall - I would have maybe liked this song if it didn't have the male vocal in it, I just found it annoying
Chad Van Gaalen - Your Own Mind's End - Again, not a genre I listen to much, kind of folky but it's quite a cool song - i normally dislike folk but I've only really heard the more mainstream stuff - would look at more from Chad Van Gaalen I think
Can - Vitamin C - funky music from the 70s - guys got a great voice. i didnt love it, but i might check more out because his voice is really good and I've never really delved into the depths of music before when I was born. Says it was from 1972 but could easily see it released now and still be well received
Captain Beefheart - Moonlight on Vermont - This is from 1969, but I didnt really like it, couldn't tell you why though....
Burning Spear - Lion - Nice reggae track - don't really listen to anything like this outside of maybe some Bob Marley I would have heard. I didnt love it, but its good
Dr John - You Lie - Really didn't like this
Liars - The Other Side of Mt Heart Attack - I've heard this song before in a movie (500 days of summer maybe) without knowing who made it and I really love it - proper relaxing, emotional stuff, tears flowing
Emeralds - Double Helix - very sci-fi-esque track - quite relaxing, but not sure if i really like it, or just think its ok
Machinedrum - Door(s) - as said before I love Machinedrum, and this is one of my favourite tracks - amazing song and his style is definitely genre-splitting. Definitely give it a listen
Women - Heat Distraction - Quite like this - some cool guitar riffs, not sure about the vocals
Deerhunter - Spring Hall Convert - Listened to a bit of Deerhunter before but not this track - like it, kinda spacey folky music, very chilled, very nice
Black Lips - New Direction - Never really listened to Black Lips, I'm aware of them but normally just avoided it - but I liked this song, fun track and I like the tempo

Overall, this was far more varied than the other disc, which I liked. A lot more here that I would never have listened to, and I'm glad I did, definitely opened my eyes to some genres I had previously shunned for no reason other than I assume prejudice or the fact that it was before my time so I couldnt be bothered.

I have NO idea who this is, but I'd like to know, because their taste in music is very, very good. I used to have a mate I worked with, and we spent all day trading tracks and different music via spotify & soundcloud and it expanded my tastes immensely, I could imagine this person could do the same too (oh dear that sounds like a dating ad) - my wild guess is [MENTION=4675]Frutos[/MENTION]

Frutos was my Santa so you'll have to guess again.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Side Bridcutt:

Glad you got something from it. I started to get worried after we had a little interaction in the electronic music thread (as you have a really forward thinking and pretty experimental taste in that area) thinking that I hadn't included enough experimental elcetronica. If you like that Joanna Gruesome track, you must give Sonic Youth a go. It reminds me of Kim and co in full flow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here