Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I just cannot see Stephens staying, which is a real shame. We'll find someone else though, and he doesn't owe us anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I just cannot see Stephens staying, which is a real shame. We'll find someone else though, and he doesn't owe us anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we go up Dale will stay. He is established in the side and has a young child that he wouldn't want to uproot again.

As long as we don't offer him 50p and a curly wurly a week then i am pretty confident he will stay

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Either location would be better IF he DOES want to move back up north (or more North than where he currently is).

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
As a final prediction....I think the chances of Stephens being a Burnley player next August are ONLY about 40/60 but the chances of him being a Brighton player are only 10 per cent.

I'm willing to bet on this.:)

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
As a final prediction....I think the chances of Stephens being a Burnley player next August are ONLY about 40/60 but the chances of him being a Brighton player are only 10 per cent.

I would say you're probably spot on.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
IF we go up, then I wouldn't be at all surprised if Dale signed for us again... if not, then I expect him to find the exit door to Burnley or another Prem team of similar standing to Burnley... bottom-line is he's earned a chance in the Prem...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Bigger wages and better location for Stephens
You think Championship Villa would offer better wages than we would if promoted?
......plus a MASSIVE signing-on bonus, which I doubt Brighton would match because it could upset the rest of their promotion-winning squad.

If Stephens was prepared to sign a new deal now, would Bloom DOUBLE his current wages and also give Stephens the £7 million Burnley were prepared to pay last August?
Eh? Burnley were prepared to give Brighton £7m, not Stephens. Do you think Burnley will offer him £7 million cash this summer? I don't think the rest of the Burnley squad would like that.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You think Championship Villa would offer better wages than we would if promoted?
Eh? Burnley were prepared to give Brighton £7m, not Stephens. Do you think Burnley will offer him £7 million cash this summer? I don't think the rest of the Burnley squad would like that.

Maybe not £7m but it is well known that in lieu of a transfer fee, large sign on fees will be given to players out of contract.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

I like that bet. You'll give me 9-1 on him being a Brighton player on 1st August right?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Maybe not £7m but it is well known that in lieu of a transfer fee, large sign on fees will be given to players out of contract.
How much? What percentage of the player's market value?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
How much? What percentage of the player's market value?

Not sure, it depends... but it is much more than a 'sign on fee' of a player extending their contract.

If the club break their model to pay Stephens a sign on fee to compete with other clubs vying for his signature then you then have a problem with the rest of the squad expecting that or just running down their contracts to negotiate a larger fee. This is ultimately the problem the club have and why I think Stephens is off regardless.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I agree with you. It's one reason why I don't want this season to end as our brilliant team is going to split up one way or another.

I see this in the same way as the Murray situation 6 years ago. More money, and a signing on fee will always win the player. If we get into a bidding war with another club, we will lose our player. It's as simple as that.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
But if we do manage to stay up, I think Stephens will be wearing Claret & Blue in August (either for us or Aston Villa).:)

DS would be an excellent long-term successor to our most important midfielder Dean Marney (aged 33).

His £5-7 million "signing on" bonus is burning a hole in our chairman's pocket.:)

no not dim ....just replying to this you thick lancashire tit

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

TBH it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the best offers for Stephens, this summer, came from Championship clubs.

Any chairman hopeful of promotion should be crawling over broken glass to get DS's signature, and that club knows they'd have a lot of competition for him.

The same can't be said of the Premier League.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Not sure, it depends... but it is much more than a 'sign on fee' of a player extending their contract.

If the club break their model to pay Stephens a sign on fee to compete with other clubs vying for his signature then you then have a problem with the rest of the squad expecting that or just running down their contracts to negotiate a larger fee. This is ultimately the problem the club have and why I think Stephens is off regardless.

This. Our team spirit this and lastseason has been immense. I think this would cause more disharmony than the benefits for the club and cause a rift in that spirit.

There's always Joey Barton :shootself

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here