Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Early Leavers

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The players should be concentrating on the game, not watching the crowd.
The atmosphere was excellent tonight. The fans more than did their bit to be the twelfth man.

It's not about watching them, it's about the complete destruction of the atmosphere, which has been shown in actual academic studies to affect standard of play.

That's a like if my boss had said to me yesterday (when there was a bloke in the office hammering together some new furniture) - it shouldn't affect you, you should be focused on your work.

In any case, this thread seems to have degenerated into another early leavers thread, which I don't think was the OP's point. Specifically regarding last night only, in a crucial game, the team needed us to be loud and passionate (like we were for the rest of the game), and we weren't.

Last edited:

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
It would really annoy me if I was a player. If the fans give up and leave with 5 minutes to go in a top of the table clash when we've just gone behind, then why should the players bother to fight until the death? I'm sure everyone has their reasons, but it is really odd how so many people do it. Do these people leave the cinema 5 minutes before the end of the film?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Cinema analogy always good for a chuckle with the remoaners.

Have you ever been to the cinema before? Did you know you get to choose the day and time you go?Also it's unlikely 30000 people will show up and you have a choice of venues.
I choose to go the cinema on a Monday about 2pm so I don't have to leave 5 minutes early.
At this point in my life ALBION matches couldn't be any more inconveniently timed. However I'm not going to stop going because I might arrive a couple of minutes late or have to leave a couple of minutes early. I might even have to visit the loo 15 minutes into the game but that's not going to stop me watching the ALBION either. Unfortunately you are going to have to put up with us J.L.E.s

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Absolutely right - way fewer early leavers tonight than usual. Ground was still pretty full on 88 mins.

I disagree, I leave every game on 87 minutes because of my disability and getting to the coach park on time. So I always see the early leavers, and in this instance I was amazed at the high volume of people leaving, and I do mean high volume

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's not about watching them, it's about the complete destruction of the atmosphere, which has been shown in actual academic studies to affect standard of play.

That's a like if my boss had said to me yesterday (when there was a bloke in the office hammering together some new furniture) - it shouldn't affect you, you should be focused on your work.

In any case, this thread seems to have degenerated into another early leavers thread, which I don't think was the OP's point. Specifically regarding last night only, in a crucial game, the team needed us to be loud and passionate (like we were for the rest of the game), and we weren't.

I've had that said to me at work.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The Cinema analogy always good for a chuckle with the remoaners.

Have you ever been to the cinema before? Did you know you get to choose the day and time you go?Also it's unlikely 30000 people will show up and you have a choice of venues.
I choose to go the cinema on a Monday about 2pm so I don't have to leave 5 minutes early.
At this point in my life ALBION matches couldn't be any more inconveniently timed. However I'm not going to stop going because I might arrive a couple of minutes late or have to leave a couple of minutes early. I might even have to visit the loo 15 minutes into the game but that's not going to stop me watching the ALBION either. Unortunately you are going to have to put up with us J.L.E.s

I'm sure plenty of people have valid and sensible reasons for leaving a bit early. Maybe even a few hundred do. But thousands and thousands? They left because we started losing. Losing by one goal, with 5 minutes left in a top of the table clash. Embarrassing.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Have to say, came over for just my 2nd home game of the season. First game was Brentford. :( I was shocked and embarrassed at how many left so early in such a critical match. Don't worry, not seeing another home game this season I think..

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
People leave games early. I do occasionally for a midweek game to get back home to North London. I try not to, but it's a fact of life sometimes. I'd rather watch 88 minutes than none at all on those occasions.

The problem with last night (and I felt more angry about it that anything that happened on the pitch) was that it was an instantaneous reaction to their goal going in - about 20% of the ground just got up and walked out. You might not have meant it, but the signal to the players on the pitch from that action is unambiguous - we've given up on you and you're not going to get an equaliser. Well I was at Brentford and I can tell you this - that a passionate crowd willing a team on can and does make a difference, and at that moment last night, in the biggest game of the season when we went behind with two minutes left, your team needed you to stay and support them.

I guess there is a distinction these days between spectators and supporters. Support was what our boys needed after that sickening blow, and if you got up to leave, whatever the reason and however benign, unfortunately you chose not to support them in that moment. If you doubt that this has an impact, then the reaction of Glenn Murray (which you wouldn't have seen as you had your backs turned) should tell you all you need to know.

UTA

Perfectly put.

But our 'customers' weren't satisfied with the product, and so they left.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Slightly off topic ..but it was a bit of a mare getting there last night from the West..never known the traffic so bad ..even for an evening game

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
If everyone left at the the same time at the end of the game it would be complete chaos getting out of there. The early leavers make it easier for the late leavers because it staggers the exit flow. It's not such a bad thing and people shouldn't be vilified for it when it is actually handy that they go early.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I disagree, I leave every game on 87 minutes because of my disability and getting to the coach park on time. So I always see the early leavers, and in this instance I was amazed at the high volume of people leaving, and I do mean high volume
It started later though.....in WSL it usually happens from about 80, last night their second goal triggered a mass exodus.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen

This, with bells on.
People coming and going as they please are of no concern to me, and there are plenty of legitimate reasons, I may even do it myself some day...
But last night specifically was like hoisting a great big white flag, and that was embarrassing.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
I dont think you can blame early leavers on a week night. You still have to queue for trains or buses 45 minutes after kick off, there is simply just not enough transport and not a great road\rail infustructure to get the sheer amount of people from the ground to where they need to go without making them stand around in the cold. Hence people rushing off early so they can get home at a decent time or if they work night get there on time.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
People leave games early. I do occasionally for a midweek game to get back home to North London. I try not to, but it's a fact of life sometimes. I'd rather watch 88 minutes than none at all on those occasions.

The problem with last night (and I felt more angry about it that anything that happened on the pitch) was that it was an instantaneous reaction to their goal going in - about 20% of the ground just got up and walked out. You might not have meant it, but the signal to the players on the pitch from that action is unambiguous - we've given up on you and you're not going to get an equaliser. Well I was at Brentford and I can tell you this - that a passionate crowd willing a team on can and does make a difference, and at that moment last night, in the biggest game of the season when we went behind with two minutes left, your team needed you to stay and support them.

I guess there is a distinction these days between spectators and supporters. Support was what our boys needed after that sickening blow, and if you got up to leave, whatever the reason and however benign, unfortunately you chose not to support them in that moment. If you doubt that this has an impact, then the reaction of Glenn Murray (which you wouldn't have seen as you had your backs turned) should tell you all you need to know.

UTA

My own fault for the title of the thread.

It's turned into the usual 'I feel I need to justify why I left early' posts and dull 'why do you care what people do?' type questions. I wasn't taking a dig at those who left at their usual pre-determined times for their myriad of reasons, I was having a pop at the MASS exodus moments after their second goal hit the back of the net. Anybody leaving because of transport issues and/or long drives would have probably left already.

Such was the extent of it, that one of our own players we pay to watch reacted rather badly to it, but i'm sure this kind of stuff doesn't affect the players and it's somehow his fault and he should be concentrating on the game though :rolleyes:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My own fault for the title of the thread.

It's turned into the usual 'I feel I need to justify why I left early' posts and dull 'why do you care what people do?' type questions. I wasn't taking a dig at those who left at their usual pre-determined times for their myriad of reasons, I was having a pop at the MASS exodus moments after their second goal hit the back of the net. Anybody leaving because of transport issues and/or long drives would have probably left already.

Such was the extent of it, that one of our own players we pay to watch reacted rather badly to it, but i'm sure this kind of stuff doesn't affect the players and it's somehow his fault and he should be concentrating on the game though :roll eyes:

The timing of the second goal is very relevant. Had it gone in 5 minutes earlier, I doubt it would have meant such a mass exodus, but when a team takes a lead at 89 minutes, then it will mean lots leaving.
I saw exactly the same thing at Elland Road, when Bobby scored in the 89th minute, last season. Brighton fans are not unique.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It bothers Glenn Murray.

Well, in all fairness, after he's earned his couple of grand and wandered off to his private car park to jump into his 4x4 or whatever for a leisurely drive home, I can understand his bemusement... not.

The Stout Yeoman

Master Farter
Aug 14, 2003
59 Le Petomane Boulevard
I left on 90 minutes, I'm on crutches though and a lot of Albion fans are rude pricks and just walk into you, so I thought I'd try and make a move before the exodus.......didn't work though!
I apologise for this and hopefully by the next home game I'll have 2 legs again

Im permanently on crutches and find this not to be the case its only dickheads with mobile phones glued to their heads that piss me off ... makes more sense to me to stay right to the end and enjoy a beer afterwards

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well, in all fairness, after he's earned his couple of grand and wandered off to his private car park to jump into his 4x4 or whatever for a leisurely drive home, I can understand his bemusement... not.

All two miles of it.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
No it isn't. Of course the players should be motivated without us, but top-level sport is won or lost on very fine margins. That extra 1% makes the difference. I don't see how we can expect the players to give absolutely everything they have for us, if the fans give up and go home when we start losing with five minutes to go. It clearly does bother the players, judging by Murray's reaction.

I just don't understand it. I used to live in North London and never left an evening game early. If you give up your evening for the football I don't see what difference 45 minutes makes, if that's how much longer staying an extra 2 minutes adds. Football is he best sport in the world because of last minute goals and late drama. It's really odd that thousands of people seem to be prepared to miss this for the sake of getting home a few minutes early.

Murray is a man in his 30s who is paid tens of thousands of pounds to kick a ball around a park. I love the game and my club, but that's the reality of it. That he has a bit of a tantrum when fans leave early shows the pathetic and ignorant nature of his reaction, and suggests that he lives a life far too privileged for him to be able to understand the lives of us mere mortals. Consequently, I shan't be caring all that much about his reaction. That you put so much stock in it illustrates your own inadequacies in my mind.

And as to your suggestion that fans give up and go home when we're losing with five minutes left to go, I point you to this thread as to the reasons people do it. It rarely, if ever, is because the team is losing. Usually, particularly on a weekday evening it's because of a variety of reasons such as, but not limited to the following: -
There are kids in the group whose parents need to get them home by a decent time
People need to be up early for work - for example, in my group there's a postie who ended up getting less than 4 hours sleep last night due to how long it took us to get out of Car Park B and then get home.
People have a long journey home and want to avoid traffic - as I stated in my previous post, the difference between leaving 2-3 minutes early is often an hour or two hours in journey time.
There are older people within the group who want to avoid the mad rush of people
Etc etc

However, I'm glad your righteous as now self feels you have the right to lecture us all on why we shouldn't leave a football game early. You are, afterall a (patronising) hero, to whom we should all bow down.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Murray is a man in his 30s who is paid tens of thousands of pounds to kick a ball around a park. I love the game and my club, but that's the reality of it. That he has a bit of a tantrum when fans leave early shows the pathetic and ignorant nature of his reaction, and suggests that he lives a life far too privileged for him to be able to understand the lives of us mere mortals.

Sorry, but with respect I believe that to be absolute rubbish. IMHO it shows he cares passionately about the club, and I'd humbly suggest that it's completely laughable that his pay packet ever crossed his mind at that moment. Knocky does exactly the same throughout the course of a match. I just love it that these guys show a certain passion for the cause. Smells Like Team Spirit. Ever lose that and we're completely ****ed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here