Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Drinking tea in the evening

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Twinings English Breakfast and Twinings Earl Grey are all I need.

Ice cold fresh milk makes a huge difference compared to been-out-the-fridge-for-20mins-lukewarm-slop milk. I'm really funny about my milk being mega fresh and mega cold.

Can't drink any after about 8pm, as I like them very strong but that then makes me feel bloated and restless.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Also yes, to OP [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] - it's not an odd phenomenon - tea is full of caffeine, a drug. What you are experiencing is a mild drug addiction.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I've recently learned something new about the brewing process, if you don't disturb the tea bag you get a much smoother and less bitter cup of tea. Don't stir it or dip the bag, you have to let it brew for at least 3 minutes and can't squeeze the bag at all when you take it out.

This is due to the tannins that are stuck in the tea bag. You are right about it, but I tend to be too impatient for this method. Tannin can be used to reduce swelling as it has anti-inflammatory properties. Although slapping a boiling hot tea bag on my face hasn't removed the spot I've got on my chin.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Earl Grey if I can get it or failing that then breakfast tea but it needs to be weak. Strong tea tastes metallic to me.

I don't do coffee. Can't stand the stuff. I think I've got an unopened jar of instant in the cupboard probably past its sell-by date.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Also yes, to OP [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] - What you are experiencing is a mild drug addiction.

My father-in-law-to-be had a friend that was addicted to caffeine. He would brew a flask of espresso and drink it throughout the day at work. One day he suddenly fell ill after work, debilitating headaches, terrible aches all over, etc. He had to be hospitalised until he recovered. It subsequently turned out that his missus had thought he should quit coffee and switched his coffee to decaff. The sudden withdrawal nearly killed him - they slowly weaned him off in the end.

I can attest to this on a smaller scale as I decided to cut back from about 4 strong coffees a day to one, I got the headaches after a couple of days.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Twinings English Breakfast and Twinings Earl Grey are all I need.

Ice cold fresh milk makes a huge difference compared to been-out-the-fridge-for-20mins-lukewarm-slop milk. I'm really funny about my milk being mega fresh and mega cold.

Can't drink any after about 8pm, as I like them very strong but that then makes me feel bloated and restless.

I started working in Toronto a few months ago and I was DELIGHTED to discover that the kitchen in my office is fully stocked with all varieties of Twinings tea. I think there's two of us who are responsible for the English Breakfast Tea having to be refilled quite regularly.

They also have a top notch bean-to-cup espresso machine and the beans they get aren't too bad.

Milk comes in a bag though, this is cause for great irritation. Firstly, you have to cut exactly the right sized hole to get a good pour from the bag. Secondly, even if you have cut the right hole, the first time you pour milk you're GUARANTEED to get too much and spill some on the table.

Anyway, it's 11.07 here. Time for my second coffee, before I move on to tea.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I think you'll find you're just way behind the curve. Frankly, anyone who is British and doesn't drink cup after cup of tea at every given opportunity is a prick.

Never trust a man who doesn't like football - we all know that. But equally, never trust a Brit who doesn't like a nice cup of tea. Remember these wise words.
Spot on :thumbsup:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Earl Grey if I can get it or failing that then breakfast tea but it needs to be weak. Strong tea tastes metallic to me.

I don't do coffee. Can't stand the stuff. I think I've got an unopened jar of instant in the cupboard probably past its sell-by date.
Yoyre obviously one of those types that likes his cup ☕️Of tea to look like a cup of hot milk , strange man :lolol:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Yorkshire tea is proper tea, dark brown. Last May I caught the Flu or Man Flu twice within a month which involved a lot of coughing. Result is I have lost my sense of taste and smell, so I am able to remove the sugar from the tea experience. Funny thing is I still go.... aahh with the first mouthful of every mugsworth I drink, go figure.

There should be a photo of a nice cup of Yorkshire Tea here but the new improved NSC won't let me upload it. :facepalm:

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm in the building trade so I would guess I drink about 10 cups of tea a day, come 5pm I can't look at another cup and I only want a beer. But at 7am the next day, it's back on the tea. I even have one of those Thermos mugs to slurp tea on the drive to work . By about the 4th cup I don't really want it but it's an excuse to take 5 mins to relax. Or ten mins if I'm the one making the brew.

Don't like coffee at all. Drink about 4 cups a year.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think you'll find you're just way behind the curve. Frankly, anyone who is British and doesn't drink cup after cup of tea at every given opportunity is a prick.

Never trust a man who doesn't like football - we all know that. But equally, never trust a Brit who doesn't like a nice cup of tea. Remember these wise words.

This is so true. I'm also very suspicious of the increasing number of people that pretend to prefer coffee over tea. What nonsense. Also, don't fob me off with earl grey, or heavens forbid, flavoured teas. There's a place for these, but the ultimate test of Britishness is whether the kettle goes on for a nice brew at least once a day. In my case, at least 10 times a day.

[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] it's just your British bones behaving naturally. You've demonstrated unconscious incompetence for too long. Embrace the tea.

Sent from my iPhone in a non-Calde world :-(

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'm in the building trade so I would guess I drink about 10 cups of tea a day, come 5pm I can't look at another cup and I only want a beer. But at 7am the next day, it's back on the tea. By about the 4th cup I don't really want it but it's an excuse to take 5 mins to relax. Or ten mins if I'm the one making the brew.
Christ how do you get any work done and who are you working for?! We're lucky to get a smile most days

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Christ how do you get any work done and who are you working for?! We're lucky to get a smile most days

Ah, I'm lucky I work for myself and sometimes my uncle. Don't take lunch breaks though, just munch on a sandwich as I'm working. To be fair, a lot of those mugs of tea get left and forgotten about if I've got my head down.

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
If I'm working somewhere with a kitchen or at home then I probably have between 6-10 cups a day. Missus BTF drinks similar amounts, I think it adds to our happiness!

I've recently learned something new about the brewing process, if you don't disturb the tea bag you get a much smoother and less bitter cup of tea. Don't stir it or dip the bag, you have to let it brew for at least 3 minutes and can't squeeze the bag at all when you
take it out.

Anyone who puts milk in first is a MENTALIST, it means the leaves won't be hot enough to brew properly and release the flavour. Technically it's not even a cup of tea if you do that, it's a cup of lightly tea flavoured hot milk and water.

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it yet but also there's something in the milk that seals the small holes in the bag which stops it from releasing its full flavour if you put it in first...

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I tend to drink coffee when I'm in the office (everyone pretty much does) but absolutely copious (literally will have a mug on the go all day sometimes) amounts of tea (very strong, no sugar) when I am working from home. The coffee (Costa or Pret usually) is good - I don't have a machine at home and instant coffee is shite, but I prefer tea - just can't be arsed to make it at work, make sure I've got milk etc etc

Happy to drink tea well into the evening too (and yes, rarely get an unbroken night's sleep :whistle:)

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Coffee (NOT instant) am
Tea pm

Hot water, tea bag, milk. I would prefer a tea poy and loose leaf tea but its a bit too faffy.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Some days if I'm working in one house all day I get offered loads of cups of tea, went to four different properties the other day and not offered one cup.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
"
A few years ago, I'd have a cup of tea about once every two months or so.

Then I started having a cup on weekend mornings.

Then I started having a cup most mornings, and then multiple cups in a morning.

But just now I walked into the kitchen and though "oooooh, I fancy a cup of tea". This has never happened at this hour before.

Is this a journey travelled by many? Is it just a getting older thing? Will I be eyeing up cocoa in the supermarket soon?

I think if you'd been in the military (I'm assuming you have not).
Drinking tea is part of the course.
If you have tea, milk and 2 sugars it's commonly known as 'NATO standard'
Apart from the bromide they're supposed to put in it, to calm the troops.
It's never done me any harm.
WIBBLE :laugh:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Nato standard must be brewed in a tea urn for the full military experience,preferably with the condensed milk from the compo rations!:drool:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here