Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wigan chairman to quit if FA finds him guilty of racism

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I must get out of the habit of calling a Chinese meal a chinky. I still do it although I am repeatedly told it is wrong on here.
I am quite old now though and definitely a dinosaur. I will try though.

The sheer arrogance of this post astounds me. They lived through a ****ing world war. You think it's up to you to educate them? Who are you to say that?
I'm struggling to see how the fact that Whelan was eight years old when the second world war finished is an excuse for anything.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
If you have relatives in their 70s (Whelan was born in 1936, not the fecking Middle Ages) who still use words like that today you obviously haven't challenged/educated them enough. As much your fault as theirs, tbh.

If you're brave enough to tell my 103 year old great-grandmother not to use the word 'brown' when talking about one of her nurses, by all means, be my guest.

EDIT: That's not to say I condone it; merely that she's from a different time, a different world almost. Hell, when I was in school 20 years ago I used to call people gay like it was a bad thing. I wouldn't dream of it now.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I'm struggling to see how the fact that Whelan was eight years old when the second world war finished is an excuse for anything.

My point was that why does someone think it is up to them to 'educate' someone in their 70's? Times change, that doesn't mean that people necessarily have to change with them if they don't want to. I wasn't speaking specifically about Whelan.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
With age comes experience. At the age of 77 and used to being in the public eye, he should have learned by now what is and what is not acceptable to say in public. The man is clearly a twit.
Good point. When some of us were young, immature, impressionable and 99.9% of the people we knew were white we said things that would be considered racist today. Most of us gradually became more enlightened but some stubbornly and or ignorantly live in the past.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If you're brave enough to tell my 103 year old great-grandmother not to use the word 'brown' when talking about one of her nurses, by all means, be my guest.

EDIT: That's not to say I condone it; merely that she's from a different time, a different world almost. Hell, when I was in school 20 years ago I used to call people gay like it was a bad thing. I wouldn't dream of it now.

This.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
With age comes experience. At the age of 77 and used to being in the public eye, he should have learned by now what is and what is not acceptable to say in public. The man is clearly a twit.

This.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Spot on. My Dad (born 1925) was a racist and cheerfully admitted it. However he was aware of sensibilities, and in hospital once was trying to explain to a doctor what a nurse had told him. The doctor asked him which nurse it was, he said he didn't know her name "but she was a negro lady". That was my Dad trying to be polite and trying to be culturally sensitive, bless him. We all know that you wouldn't/shouldn't say that now (this was in 2005), but if anybody had tried to 'educate' him I would have had words.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Spot on. My Dad (born 1925) was a racist and cheerfully admitted it. However he was aware of sensibilities, and in hospital once was trying to explain to a doctor what a nurse had told him. The doctor asked him which nurse it was, he said he didn't know her name "but she was a negro lady". That was my Dad trying to be polite and trying to be culturally sensitive, bless him. We all know that you wouldn't/shouldn't say that now (this was in 2005), but if anybody had tried to 'educate' him I would have had words.

It would appear he needs a bit of enlightenment though?

FREDBINNEY

Banned
Dec 11, 2009
Er, why ??

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton

I agree with this, you just have appointed a manager who is under investigation for racist and sexist texts, this was the biggest story in football in August for gawd sake. So you then publicly repeat what your manager is being investigated for?? Amazed he made a fortune as this is so dumb.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It would appear he needs a bit of enlightenment though?
Have you heard the expression "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink?" What the **** do you think I'd spent most of my adult life trying to do? We argued bitterly over his antediluvian attitudes and fell out over it to the extent of not speaking for months at a time. He knew his own mind and it really wasn't a case of me 'enlightening' him and him saying "wow, son you're right".

I do think that you are one of the densest people on here when it comes to understanding human nature.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
My point was that why does someone think it is up to them to 'educate' someone in their 70's? Times change, that doesn't mean that people necessarily have to change with them if they don't want to. I wasn't speaking specifically about Whelan.

Are people ever too old to learn? Do you really believe you cant teach an old dog new tricks? I am 46 years old and I used to watch alf garnet and laugh. Now it seems like something from the dark ages and not funny at all. You can always learn and at the very least whelan should have learnt to kept his mouth shut the man is a fool.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Are people ever too old to learn? Do you really believe you cant teach an old dog new tricks? I am 46 years old and I used to watch alf garnet and laugh. Now it seems like something from the dark ages and not funny at all. You can always learn and at the very least whelan should have learnt to kept his mouth shut the man is a fool.
You must have been advanced for your age back in the day!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

No, but I think all this 'Alf Garnet is terrible' stuff these days is nonsense. It was from a different time, if it was funny at the time, so what? It was a different time. It wouldn't work in today's world, but that doesn't make it wrong.

Going back to Whelan though, he is an idiot for saying what he did because he must have known it would have caused a major storm. Maybe that's why he did it.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
No, but I think all this 'Alf Garnet is terrible' stuff these days is nonsense. It was from a different time, if it was funny at the time, so what? It was a different time. It wouldn't work in today's world, but that doesn't make it wrong.

t.

For 30 years it was generally accepted that we were laughing AT the racist but now no TV channel will touch it. So we were laughing with the racist then for all those years were we ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here