Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Hughton

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
For me, the bar is set at survival without boring the pants of us with 0-0 or backs to wall 1-0s. It will be a tough call, especially if we don't make a genuine Premier league striker signing or two.

The ideal for me would be a Bournemouth type season, lots of high scoring games and drama ending with survival. That bar is too high at the moment though

I don't see that happening. I think away games he will bore the pants off people and he is good at grinding out the 1-0s. Not all the time but a lot of the time. Stats say that if you can get 2 wins away from home and a half dozen draws there is a good chance that added to your home form should keep you up.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The reason this one is harder is because we don't really know where the bar is set by the fans because it's unchartered territory for most. I have said before, I am certain relegation won't happen but that may not be the bar for some fans so what I hope for in the coming season is ''realistic expectations'' and there will be by most people I am sure.

The squad come the start of the season will be more than capable of staying up and then its up to Chris to ensure that happens and gradually build and build year by year and enhance the Academy at the same time. That's the '' height of the bar'' for me

Its an interesting thought. For me the bar is set purely at staying up, I don't care how, why or when. Obviously I want more - attractive football, giving the clubs in the top 6 a proper challenge on occasion, cup run, beating Palace - but ultimately staying up is all i care about because I don't want to have to face the championship again too soon. That division is not good for your blood pressure!

having said that, I know that others will want more. Its perfectly possible to imagine a survival season built on backs-to-the-wall defence and enough 1-0s ground out, interspersed with 90th minute equalisers given away, the odd thrashing by the big boys, Palace doing the double over us, crashing out of both cups at the first stage to lower-division teams, and losing Knockaert and Dunk next summer to bigger clubs. In this scenario I imagine there will be grumblings and rumblings all over the place, and there will 100% be threads next summer saying 'Hughton - has he taken us as far as he can?'

Indeed I imagine Hughton's job could be more at threat if we just about survive, than if we get relegated.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
To be fair, he has probably met with his own expectations. He was a proven manager in the championship and has repeated previous successes with us. The great thing about him is his experience and he knows only too well from his time at Norwich that all good things can come to an end. I am hopeful that he will now be able to get to the next level by maintaining premier league status and developing the club over the next few years. I hope the board will recognise this even if we went down, because the club now has all the groundwork in place to develop into a decent premier club and I think he still has it in him to be a leading manager.

Yoda

English & European
Chris has got the recognition he deserves and rightly so - I don't really see the need to throw more at him at this moment in time.

The challenge coming up is a very different one for him and Brighton. This is the more difficult one. It's like a ''high jump'' - Last year everyone knew the bar was set at ''Promotion'' by the fans

The reason this one is harder is because we don't really know where the bar is set by the fans because it's unchartered territory for most. I have said before, I am certain relegation won't happen but that may not be the bar for some fans so what I hope for in the coming season is ''realistic expectations'' and there will be by most people I am sure.

The squad come the start of the season will be more than capable of staying up and then its up to Chris to ensure that happens and gradually build and build year by year and enhance the Academy at the same time. That's the '' height of the bar'' for me

I wonder what Chris & the teams bars are for this season?

Remember seeing an interview at the end of last season where they set themselves 3 for the year: 'Bare minimum', 'Ideal' and 'Exceptional'.
Bare minimum was Play-offs again.
Ideal was Automatic Promotion.
Exceptional was the Title.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I love the way he proved (not that it bothered him, he's too nice) the Newcastle and especially Norwich haters wrong.

Turned a pile of mess left by Burke and the previous managers, into gold, along with generous backing from TB.

Owusu12

May 24, 2017
I think out of all the clubs he has managed, the fans and board alike here have shown the most appreciation to CH.

Thankful and lucky to have him but I believe he gets his fair share of respect from us.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Interesting to know what the long term bar would be? Europe? A cup? Or merely survival in the big time?

Just staying in the Premier League beyond 4 seasons would improve our previous best, but in terms of facilities and backing we have never been in a better position. I'd say Southampton type scenario is probably the best we could hope for. A top 10 finish and a shot at a cup from time to time.

That's still a big leap from where we are right now of course.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
For me, the bar is set at survival without boring the pants of us with 0-0 or backs to wall 1-0s. It will be a tough call, especially if we don't make a genuine Premier league striker signing or two.

The ideal for me would be a Bournemouth type season, lots of high scoring games and drama ending with survival. That bar is too high at the moment though and I'm not convinced it is a way CH would even consider playing.

The bar is simply survival. The squad, even with two or three big additions, isn't realistically good enough to do more than just about stay up (and I'm a fan of our squad). It's built on being solid and good on the counter against better sides. We're playing at least 16 better sides this year.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Strange post.

He's loved by Brighton fans and gets more respect and admiration from other fans, managers and pundits than probably any other manager in football.

I would be inclined to qualify that. He got a lot of respect and admiration for his exploits in the Championship with us. He was treated quite unfairly by Newcastle and Norwich and this has led to people questioning his ability as a PL manager.

I think if he keeps us up and we're safe by the beginning of April, his stock will rise even higher. If we can "do a Bournemouth" and become a stable side in the PL then I think history will regard him as a very successful manager.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I would be inclined to qualify that. He got a lot of respect and admiration for his exploits in the Championship with us. He was treated quite unfairly by Newcastle and Norwich and this has led to people questioning his ability as a PL manager.

I think if he keeps us up and we're safe by the beginning of April, his stock will rise even higher. If we can "do a Bournemouth" and become a stable side in the PL then I think history will regard him as a very successful manager.

If we survive and flourish under him in the PL, then he's going to be considered and mentioned as England manager material. He'd fit the FA's "blueprint" like a glove.

You saw it here first.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
If we survive and flourish under him in the PL, then he's going to be considered and mentioned as England manager material. He'd fit the FA's "blueprint" like a glove.

You saw it here first.

Yeah I think that's a pretty good shout. Great man manager, tactically aware, experienced. No skeletons in the closet. Only question is, as a ROI international, would he take the England job?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yeah I think that's a pretty good shout. Great man manager, tactically aware, experienced. No skeletons in the closet. Only question is, as a ROI international, would he take the England job?

He's a Londoner. His caps for the plastic paddy's wouldn't even come into it IMO.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think out of all the clubs he has managed, the fans and board alike here have shown the most appreciation to CH.

Thankful and lucky to have him but I believe he gets his fair share of respect from us.

That's 100% true. When you speak to people you instantly know they appreciate what he has done. Not once did I get that impression around Norwich or Newcastle Hierarchy but the fans at least in Newcastle appreciated. Norwich fans were just fickle constantly hankering after Paul Lambert like a spurned wife or husband

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I wonder what Chris & the teams bars are for this season?Remember seeing an interview at the end of last season where they set themselves 3 for the year: 'Bare minimum', 'Ideal' and 'Exceptional'.
Bare minimum was Play-offs again.
Ideal was Automatic Promotion.
Exceptional was the Title.

I don't think there will be a ceiling or floor.

I think it will be to take every game at a time. Go out and give a good account of themselves in every match and pick up as many points as they can and hopefully that will keep them up. What he will do well and always did at Norwich was that as soon as danger threatened was to pull out a good result. I think they were only ever once in the bottom 3 for one week in the whole time he was there. The motivational skills when the chips are down are second to none and I think that was most evident here in the 2nd leg of the play offs against Sheff Wed last year.

That's the reason I don't think Brighton will be relegated next year. The squad will be as good as any of the bottom 10 teams by the time this transfer window ends because although there are no bad teams up there. There are at least 10 of them who won't have any consistency

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here