Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC salaries...

I am OUTRAGED by this!!! These overpaid BBC stars should have their pay slashed by 50%!!

The money should then be put in a fund and distributed to all those Firemen, Policemen and other public servants deemed as worthy by a poll of "Daily Mail" comment members. Each recipient would get enough to pay for a bag of crisps or similar, they may need to share 1 between 2.

...Can't see a thread yet on the Pension Changes for us plebs that were announced. They don't effect me, but I am sure my pension will be tinkered with by the time I am able to draw it.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I am OUTRAGED by this!!! These overpaid BBC stars should have their pay slashed by 50%!!

The money should then be put in a fund and distributed to all those Firemen, Policemen and other public servants deemed as worthy by a poll of "Daily Mail" comment members. Each recipient would get enough to pay for a bag of crisps or similar, they may need to share 1 between 2.

...Can't see a thread yet on the Pension Changes for us plebs that were announced. They don't effect me, but I am sure my pension will be tinkered with by the time I am able to draw it.

I disagree. Most of these BBC people deserve pay rises towards the levels of Evans and Lineker. They are an exceptionally talented group of individuals, all brilliant at what they do and this would fend off interest from private sector broadcasters. We must keep such charismatic individuals as Steve Wright with the Beeb. The total sum involved wouldn't make a jot of difference if used towards the pay of nurses and teachers, and at the end of the day its only monies taken in taxes from the public.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Its subjective and your response is nothing more than an opinion based on what, in calling the poorest of the poor laughable. Watch the BBC tonight and itemise what is news and what is speculation, runour and conjecture and ask the question is anything else happening in the world outside of the UK?
It's not subjective. The other companies DO pay people way more to do the same job.

You have an axe to grind but it's actually got nothing to do with the argument you're attempting to win.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It's frightening to think that Kay Burley is paid way more than BBC journalist
It really is.

A few years ago a mate of mine was a producer on Sky News. I asked him how the hell Kay Burley was still employed and he said that was the question all the production staff asked themselves, and each other, on a daily basis.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I disagree. Most of these BBC people deserve pay rises towards the levels of Evans and Lineker. They are an exceptionally talented group of individuals, all brilliant at what they do and this would fend off interest from private sector broadcasters. We must keep such charismatic individuals as Steve Wright with the Beeb. The total sum involved wouldn't make a jot of difference if used towards the pay of nurses and teachers, and at the end of the day its only monies taken in taxes from the public.

I must have missed the bit where scrapping the licence fee will mean an increase in taxes which will be directly routed to paying nurses and teachers.

You sound like the Brexit bus.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It really is.

A few years ago a mate of mine was a producer on Sky News. I asked him how the hell Kay Burley was still employed and he said that was the question all the production staff asked themselves, and each other, on a daily basis.

She's a controversial shite-stirrer, drawing in viewers many of whom probably don't like her and love it when she clashes with a cerebrally superior interviewee.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Why the Brexit bus comment or jest?
It was a simple analogy gag. The licence fee being redirected to other public services (as per your post, which I got as being facetious) is about as likely as the lies on Boris's bus.

Nothing's funny when you have to explain it though FFS. 😂

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
She's a controversial shite-stirrer, drawing in viewers many of whom probably don't like her and love it when she clashes with a cerebrally superior interviewee.
I got bored with that years ago and instead she just makes me want to throw stuff at the tv. So I turn over if she's on.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I used to agree with that view, however, I felt maybe it was a case of just following the herd. So I have made a conscious effort to listen to what he says and watch his analysis and now find he is actually quite good. I think people also forget the pre programme time that is spent putting together the bits and pieces for a show which means it's more than the 15 mins screen time you see.

I'm not saying he is worth anywhere near what he is paid but it is too easy to jump on the bandwagon to slag him off without really being aware of his contribution. Micahael Owen on the other hand.......don't get me started!

I appreciate it takes time pre-program (although not £400k+ a years worth), but I simply don't agree on the analysis. MotD is a watered-down football fest for those who want basically no analysis or depth, and Shearer contributes to that. If you want analysis, Sky unfortunately is the place to go.

It doesn't have anything to do with following the herd either. MotD gets an incredible amount of viewers because many people want that kind of watered down, "he works hard for the team Gary" kind of analysis. Consequently, following the herd is, by nature, watching MotD and accepting what you hear from the likes of Shearer without any critique as to the limited analysis they offer.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I think it's too easy to just jump on the bandwagon that this or that person is an idiot because everyone is saying it. In my opinion Shearer falls into that category but I happen to think it's unjustified. At the end of the day he can only work within the time allocated to him so will serve up the best analysis for that time frame. I found that the points he makes are generally quite representative of what has happened in a game

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Oh dear. I refer you to my original post about you being wrong about everything. Probably shouldn't have engaged further. Because you're wrong, about everything.

I'm not going to bother picking through his whole original post but he's right that not paying for a TV licence can end you up in a criminal court and possibly prison. The BBC spends a huge amount of money chasing those without a licence by employing Capita bully boys. Don't have a licence registered to your address ? They automatically target you as guilty and expect you to prove you don't actually need a licence. They've even persuaded government to get retailers to help them in their witch hunt - buy a new TV and you are expected to provide your address. This is then passed on to the BBC TV Licencing department - otherwise known as Capita.

It's a disgusting state of affairs that a small debt is allowed to go to criminal court ( and all the stupidly high costs that involves ) rather than to civil court like any other debt. The BBC are in a privileged position given to them by government ..... and they abuse it.

And before you accuse me of being a BBC hater I'm not - I'm a keen supporter of the organisation and it's output - I'm not a keen supporter of it's enforcement techniques.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Easy to criticise, hard to be objective. I heard the old maxim tha nobody is overpaid in showbiz... if the Beeb don't pay them and somebody else picks them up, people say that it is starved of talent.
Clarkson got the push, went elsewhere and has a new show on subscription telly. I wonder how many viewers he took and what he now recieves?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Gary Barlow does the teas . For everyone.And onnfriday he takes his home made flapjacks round as well.

Except on wednesdays when he gets rudely awoken by the Dustmen...

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I completely agree with you. Shearer is a bore and most of the Sky pundits are very good at their jobs.

However, the only thing I would say in Shearer's defence in terms of the analysis he can offer is that I imagine Sky's resources, research department and ability to collate stats and footage before every show is vast in comparison with the BBC. The Sky pundits must turn up before a show and be smothered in material they can use, which you would expect from an exclusively sports-based broadcaster. I'm sure the likes of Neville and Carragher do plenty of their own homework too, but the support available to them is incredible. I'm only guessing but I reckon the BBC operation is fairly amateur in comparison - and arguably rightly so, as they only have an hour of highlights (and zero live action) to prepare for and present each week. Sky are doing this day in, day out.

Taking what you've said at face value, and there's probably a fair bit of truth in what you've said, do you believe Shearer is worth over £400k a year for providing what he provides?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Easy to criticise, hard to be objective. I heard the old maxim tha nobody is overpaid in showbiz... if the Beeb don't pay them and somebody else picks them up, people say that it is starved of talent.
Clarkson got the push, went elsewhere and has a new show on subscription telly. I wonder how many viewers he took and what he now recieves?

Here's objective for you: -
Subscription TV = subscriber numbers and demand affects salary.
BBC and consequently the salary the talent receives = no taxpayer choice yet still salary is high.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here