Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC salaries...

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
The disgraceful one for me is Shearer. He does about 15 minutes of TV a week on a seriously outdated football show and he gets half a million for it, despite offering absolutely no analysis of note every time. Shocking.

I used to agree with that view, however, I felt maybe it was a case of just following the herd. So I have made a conscious effort to listen to what he says and watch his analysis and now find he is actually quite good. I think people also forget the pre programme time that is spent putting together the bits and pieces for a show which means it's more than the 15 mins screen time you see.

I'm not saying he is worth anywhere near what he is paid but it is too easy to jump on the bandwagon to slag him off without really being aware of his contribution. Micahael Owen on the other hand.......don't get me started!

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I would like to know if they all pay there taxes.

The furore over Jimmy Carr being paid via Ltd company or such like has gone away, but you can be sure that this lot are on similar agreements. Money will be paid into their own production companies etc and tax mitigated.

The BBc has managed to swerve the really big question here by diverting it onto a pay equality arguement, but the real issue is why are these people paid so much at all. WE hear that the BBC is in a competitive market, there is a constant stream of people leaving the BBC, it only wants quality and wants to maintain its high standarsd at home as well as abroard. BBC journalism is the poorest of the poor choices that we have, many programmes are bought in from other production companies and what they produce themselves they trail endlessly to a point that it beomes detrimental.

They establishment, journalists, actors, producers, directors et al, will all close ranks on this one because they all know what a gravy train it is and how they all want a piece of it whether now or in the future. We've been mugged off for years and its still going on!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The furore over Jimmy Carr being paid via Ltd company or such like has gone away, but you can be sure that this lot are on similar agreements. Money will be paid into their own production companies etc and tax mitigated.

The BBc has managed to swerve the really big question here by diverting it onto a pay equality arguement, but the real issue is why are these people paid so much at all. WE hear that the BBC is in a competitive market, there is a constant stream of people leaving the BBC, it only wants quality and wants to maintain its high standarsd at home as well as abroard. BBC journalism is the poorest of the poor choices that we have, many programmes are bought in from other production companies and what they produce themselves they trail endlessly to a point that it beomes detrimental.

They establishment, journalists, actors, producers, directors et al, will all close ranks on this one because they all know what a gravy train it is and how they all want a piece of it whether now or in the future. We've been mugged off for years and its still going on!

Don't watch much of it and i don't think the BBC is unbiased, however, I believe the journalism to be of very high quality generally. Most of their top people could earn significantly more were they to go to the commercial sector.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was at a dinner last night where Emily Maitlis was the guest speaker. She opened my saying that if there was more money next year, they could afford a man - good opening gag, I thought.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
i bet the bbc haters are disappointed in how few ****s are given about the amounts people are paid but pleasantly surprised at the fuss it's stirred up about gender pay imbalance.

Yes those pay gap idiots will compare apples to oranges and come up with lemons as they often do.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Don't watch much of it and i don't think the BBC is unbiased, however, I believe the journalism to be of very high quality generally. Most of their top people could earn significantly more were they to go to the commercial sector.

I remember when Kate Aidie received an award for reporting on Libya whilst standing next an air to surface missile fired from a US plane at the Swiss Embassy in tripoli, only problem it was a surface to air missile fired by the Libyans themselves. Fantastically high standard of journalism.

Or I can recount the BBC reporter claiming that missiles, next to which she was standing were pointed at Tripoli in the rebel advance on the city, only problem again was that these were very old Russian SAM 2s, surface to air missiles.

BBC reporting is now concentrated around Westminster gossip and tale telling, I used to listen the World Service when I was abroard,which ws generally good, but the news was deteriorating then. Having breakfast in Hargeisa, Somaliland I heard on the world service that there had been heavy shelling and the UN had to evacuate, minor skirmished but heavy shelling no. There is little news now, Brexit has filled the middle east vacuum when times are quiet, but heres a prediction, during the summer months when Parlimnet is quiet Israel wil be back on the agenda, Couldn't disagree with you more, the BBC promotes a poor news service supported by poor journalism.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

The reason that the pay is so high is because Sky, ITV etc pay their stars WAY more. Calling BBC journalism the poorest of the poor is absolutely laughable, it's one of the very few remaining broadcasting institutions that invests heavily in quality journalism over viewing figures.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
The reason that the pay is so high is because Sky, ITV etc pay their stars WAY more. Calling BBC journalism the poorest of the poor is absolutely laughable, it's one of the very few remaining broadcasting institutions that invests heavily in quality journalism over viewing figures.

They pay more but the BBC set the market. If the BBC paid less then they would pay more but only a bit more. If the BBC paid Lineker £500,000 Sky would pay £750,000 etc etc..

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Very true. Other TV and radio stations are packed with people who weren't good enough for the BBC. And then there are a few genuine stars that earn a higher commercial premium by making the switch, but those numbers are small.

Mark Saggers is one that always intrigued me. Thought he was reasonably decent on the BBC, but the move to Talksport seemed to unleash his inner 'totally deranged'.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
They pay more but the BBC set the market. If the BBC paid less then they would pay more but only a bit more. If the BBC paid Lineker £500,000 Sky would pay £750,000 etc etc..

As mentioned earlier in the thread, Sky pay Henry FOUR MILLION for far LESS work. I wouldn't be surprised if BT sport or any of the other channels he works for actually double his BBC salary already.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful

Its subjective and your response is nothing more than an opinion based on what, in calling the poorest of the poor laughable. Watch the BBC tonight and itemise what is news and what is speculation, runour and conjecture and ask the question is anything else happening in the world outside of the UK?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Very true. Other TV and radio stations are packed with people who weren't good enough for the BBC. And then there are a few genuine stars that earn a higher commercial premium by making the switch, but those numbers are small.

Mark Saggers is one that always intrigued me. Thought he was reasonably decent on the BBC, but the move to Talksport seemed to unleash his inner 'totally deranged'.

Didn't Saggers leave BBC because Alan Green refused to share transport with him?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here