Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
That's an average of 1.9 points per game.

Over the whole season we averaged 2.02 points per game.
OK, but again, that includes our home results.

People are talking about results against the top 6, but I was talking about the top half.

With a quick tot-up, I make it 2 wins, 3 draws and 7 defeats away to the top 13 sides (not including us of course). That's 9 points from 36.

My argument is that, without further quality additions, we will be hot favourites for relegation.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I just think you need to learn to read more carefully TBH... but, hey, it's about opinions, is it not?...

It is and I don't know what yours is.

Is Baldock a good player in your opinion or did he have one lucky season (good player in my opinion)?

Do you need four firing strikers when your winger can score from anywhere, in your opinion? (In mine a goal is a goal no matter who scores it and our game is built around not conceding & hitting tired teams at pace)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I don't suppose they planned to do it that way.
I'm sure they didn't, but it was because they don't have the quality to break down PL teams away from home (we couldn't break down Preston, Ipswich, Derby, Cardiff, Forest...)

Most of their points came assisted by the 'intimidating' atmosphere of Turf Moor.

If we don't add quality, playing at Preston will seem like a walk in the park...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
AN has written about the Albion for 30 long years. THIRTY BLOODY YEARS.
Can't we agree to give him some credit from time to time.
He's fine when he sticks to football but when he has his regular swipes at fans he lets himself down.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
As I've said before, I've not forgotten deadline day last summer when some people on here moaned so much about us not signing another striker and basically wrote off the season. We all saw what happened last season.

If on deadline day last year anyone thought we were automatic contenders I would have to question them even if they ended up being correct.

Personally I thought playoffs at best, starting a season with 3 strikers, one injury prone, one 33 was in my opinion a big gamble that paid off. If Murray or Baldock had been out for a couple of months or more around October things might have been different.

That said I see no reason to panic yet, though I would hope for a couple in over the next fortnight.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Trying to prove that we don't have the quality to beat the bigger teams away from home. Adding Ipswich and Forest to the top 13 reinforces that. Winning away to small clubs with small grounds, and small crowds is one thing, but if we can't beat 10 of the top 13, added to Forest and Ipswich, without added quality, how are we going to win away in the PL?

You don't have to be a statistician to know that 2 wins from 12 is significant.

So you are saying we were better at home last season than we were away. And you are also saying our record away to the top teams was worse than against lower sides. Hardly a shock

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Everybody relax, it's Tuesday, the Dutch player will be here soon.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If on deadline day last year anyone thought we were automatic contenders I would have to question them even if they ended up being correct.

Personally I thought playoffs at best, starting a season with 3 strikers, one injury prone, one 33 was in my opinion a big gamble that paid off. If Murray or Baldock had been out for a couple of months or more around October things might have been different.

Actually Andy Naylor and er, Ian Holloway both had us down as top 2 last season after we'd lost at Newcastle.

Baldock missed a fair few games last season including the whole April / May run in. We got by.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
AN has written about the Albion for 30 long years. THIRTY BLOODY YEARS.
Can't we agree to give him some credit from time to time.

Yes, I like him as a journalist. Except when he has needless digs at the fans as he seems to do time and time again. Our social media/message boards are no different than any other club's who all have a section of fans impatient for signings.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
So you are saying we were better at home last season than we were away. And you are also saying our record away to the top teams was worse than against lower sides. Hardly a shock
...and that all came about because somebody posted that we won't necessarily be hot favourites for relegation, if we don't sign anyone else.

I said we would because we couldn't beat most of the top half of the Championship away from home because we don't currently have that quality, and playing away in the PL will (obviously) be considerably harder.

Three or four pages later...

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Stuart Armstrong of Celtic,is he any good?

I looked at him two season ago and I penned him then as a non-scoring version of Dale Stephens.

After last season the roles are reversed inasmuch Dale Stephens is a non-scoring version of Armstrong.

Not really filling a gap although he is a good player. one alternative would be to buy a left-sided defensive midfielder and push Dale Stephens forward a bit more, knowing their is someone covering if we lose the ball. We need more goals for central midfield though.

I heard a couple of seasons ago that he wanted to play in the Premier League.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
...and that all came about because somebody posted that we won't necessarily be hot favourites for relegation, if we don't sign anyone else.

I said we would because we couldn't beat most of the top half of the Championship away from home because we don't currently have that quality, and playing away in the PL will (obviously) be considerably harder.

Three or four pages later...

But my point is that is irrelevant. Burnley had a terrible away record last season yet comfortably survived. Our record at home to top teams was very good, but you are ignoring that as it doesn't suit your argument.

This squad will struggle and probably go down without more signings. However, to use last season's away record against top teams as proof seems odd to me

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Everybody relax, it's Tuesday, the Dutch player will be here soon.

Would that be the Danish Dutchman? :lolol:

Still think the Japanese German and the Austrian German (maybe even the Brazilian Romanian) are more likely to happen first

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here