Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is helpful. Thanks.

Are there any components you'd worry about?

The Reynolds steel is okay?

Nope, the components aren't the problem, it's the price.

Reynolds steel tubing has been THE tubing used on bikes since time began.
We've all ridden a Reynolds frame at some point, even if the bike itself had stabilisers.

The weight of the 9 speed is listed at 10.68kgs
On the face of it that doesn't seem too shabby, (I don't know the in's and out's of that specific market) but that'll be where you'd notice the difference, if you decided to shop around a bit.

I'd imagine it's easy to make a less bespoke (no pun intended) bike, save £700 but add a noticeable couple of kilos.
I'd be looking for a bike that does all of that, but keeps the weight down too.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nope, the components aren't the problem, it's the price.

Reynolds steel tubing has been THE tubing used on bikes since time began.
We've all ridden a Reynolds frame at some point, even if the bike itself had stabilisers.

The weight of the 9 speed is listed at 10.68kgs
On the face of it that doesn't seem too shabby, (I don't know the in's and out's of that specific market) but that'll be where you'd notice the difference, if you decided to shop around a bit.

I'd imagine it's easy to make a less bespoke (no pun intended) bike, save £700 but add a noticeable couple of kilos.
I'd be looking for a bike that does all of that, but keeps the weight down too.

Comment about the price is noted. The weight is quite important to me. Is 10.68 "light"?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Comment about the price is noted. The weight is quite important to me. Is 10.68 "light"?

As said this isn't a sub section of bikes I've ever really looked into.
I'd say on a scale they'd be plenty of similar bikes heavier than 10.6, some considerably more so.
An amount less than 11kgs, with possibly the odd one below 10. (which then might come at a price)

I'm sorry that's a bit too flim-flammy as said this isn't my bag.
As is customary someone will be along soon enough with more knowledge than me.

Last edited:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Afternoon gents. I'm planning to get a new bicycle this spring. The last one I purchased was 20 years ago so I'm a little bit out of the game. There's a local shop which has this in the window

https://www.standertshop.com/collec...dert-ssfw-17-complete-9-speed-brilliant-black

I like the look of it and like what I've read and heard about it. I only need it for daily zipping around the city; urban commuting etc. I reckon my longest journey on this bike will be 10 miles at any one time.

Any thoughts? I currently have a Condor city bike with Shimano (XT I think) stuff on it. What I like about this bike is it's light and rides really smoothly and effortlessly. It still feels very well, and precisely, engineered even after 20 odd years and thousands of miles. I will test ride this new bike but are the components good in the long term? I've never heard of the companies which make derailleur or the rims.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Try a few and choose which you think will give the best ride. If they won't let you test, walk out.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Not to late to book to ride in the Great Haywards Heath bike ride
image.jpg
Pre Booking Orchards Shopping centre 10-00 to 13-00hrs Saturday

Right geeks, I'm doing a pop up restaurant at The Caxton Arms brighton town...Sunday lunch, local produce cooked with love. Be great to cook/see you. Booking advisable. Hope I don't get into trouble for elicit advertising!

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Right geeks, I'm doing a pop up restaurant at The Caxton Arms brighton town...Sunday lunch, local produce cooked with love. Be great to cook/see you. Booking advisable. Hope I don't get into trouble for elicit advertising!

Blinking Flip! Are you offering to cook us? I'll be painting the living room ceiling as my penance for going to the match tomorrow. Hope it goes well.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Every Sunday, or just this one?

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Just this one buddy. How u keeping?

I am keeping very well, thanks!

Shame, can't make this Sunday as I am driving to pick up a bike at a service station on the M4 (!).

Would love to experience your culinary delights sometime. Are you moving back that way? I can't tell you how much better life is when you are no longer a full-time teacher.

See you soon, matey.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
image.jpg
Sign up in the Orchards Shopping centre 10-00am to 13-00pm or turn up 8-9-00amtomorrow in the Broadway Haywards Heath for the great bike ride.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

What's on the menu fella?

I am keeping very well, thanks!

Shame, can't make this Sunday as I am driving to pick up a bike at a service station on the M4 (!).

Would love to experience your culinary delights sometime. Are you moving back that way? I can't tell you how much better life is when you are no longer a full-time teacher.

See you soon, matey.

Shame that bud. Well I'm gonna see how it goes time and money wise..need to sell it all to be amazing, but I'd like a change. What bike are you off to collect? Great win today!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Tour of Flanders? Not a single post :nono:

What a win by the way. Catch some highlights if you can.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Tour of Flanders? Not a single post :nono:

What a win by the way. Catch some highlights if you can.

I couldn't watch live, so have been dipping in and out 'as live' throughout the afternoon.

A quite spectacular win, perfectly set up then controlled by the team.

Riding solo seemed to be the safest place to be, some rookie mistakes behind.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Shame that bud. Well I'm gonna see how it goes time and money wise..need to sell it all to be amazing, but I'd like a change. What bike are you off to collect? Great win today!

An S Works Roubaix. Full Ultegra. Immaculate. £1000. Don't ask for pictures, because I still haven't figured out how to do that yet!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here