Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Proper Darts

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
If there was no booze there would be no singing, no dressing up, less showmanship and rabble-rousing from the players so, yes, numbers would be significantly down, prize money would be down, the quality of darts would decrease, sponsorship revenue would decrease.

In order to have top, top quality darts in today's crowded sports TV market then having all of the crowd shenanigans is a necessary evil. The players know this, Barry Hearn knows this too, and going down this road has made the sport a big success in a relatively short period of time. Indeed, watching the sort of revelry that goes on in the PDC might make the spectacle more saleable to other overseas markets because the whole thing looks like a fun event.

I think the big issue is security, ie stage invasion and when the crown luzz stuff at the players and grab them at the walk-on. Here, Hearn is walking a tight line; in the final on Sunday MVG was going for a 115 checkout to win the title and some goon ran on stage and grabbed the trophy, presumably in the hope MVG would check out and the goon could 'present him with said trophy. Had MVG checked out all hell would have broken loose and the publicity would have been disastrous. Fortunately for Hearn, MVG messed up with his second dart then lost the leg and the set before regaining his composure. Again, if Anderson had kicked on from that point and won then it would have made darts and Hearn look amateurish.

If he doesn't improve security at these big matches then there will be issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSUhMZRKg4g

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
This.

Can I add that godawful 'don't take me home' chant to the collective laryngectomy at the People's Palace?

Followed by 'Stand up if you love the darts' :facepalm: ffs they are there and have paid to watch it... ofcourse they love the darts...

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I take your point, but I think the loud atmosphere is infectious and the roars following a big checkout, 180 or 9-darter attempt definitely get the players' adrenalin going. Sunday's final had two popular players going toe to toe, the noise was constant and they ended up breaking the record for most 180s even though there was only 10 out of a possible 13 sets.

The final wasn't half as bad - whilst the usual goons started the Kolo song, it didn't take off and there was more respect for the players when they were throwing albeit nowhere near BDO standards. The trouble is that the crowds are now 90% bell ends as opposed to 50% 5 or so years ago and the more bell ends that go the more darts fans are put off. I agree with your earlier point. If you want record prize money you need the crowds and everyone except Daryl Gurney gets that - They just seem to get worse year on year.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patreon
Jan 19, 2010
God I forgot about that. In the Peoples republic of Piggle that would also be an offence punishable by death.

e2CTesMB.jpg

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
Well I cant wait for the Premier League Darts where I will dress up, get bladdered and sing all those cringe worthy songs....just because it is a bit of a laugh.

And if you want to moan about it on the internet, I wont hold it against you.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The final wasn't half as bad - whilst the usual goons started the Kolo song, it didn't take off and there was more respect for the players when they were throwing albeit nowhere near BDO standards. The trouble is that the crowds are now 90% bell ends as opposed to 50% 5 or so years ago and the more bell ends that go the more darts fans are put off. I agree with your earlier point. If you want record prize money you need the crowds and everyone except Daryl Gurney gets that - They just seem to get worse year on year.

We'll I'll be going to the Premier League darts in Brighton in a few weeks' time so it will be interesting to see but that lad who grabbed the trophy confessed on camera it was his first time at the darts.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Lakeside Eve, can't wait till 1pm tomorrow 😎

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Covered it with BBC SCR in 1999, but back then it was almost a different tournament, higher averages, the final that year was a classic between RVB and Baxter.

Ultimately it goes back to the original split and the argument about the lack of TV coverage, which in turn affects players earning potential with exhibitions etc.

Whatever people might think Barry Hearn, The PDC and Sky, have delivered exactly what the 'rebels' asked for back in 1993, whilst the BDO has stagnated, sad but a fact of life.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
I've been to the ally pally a few times now.
The first time, I didn't know which station to get off.
Then I saw 2 martians, The Pope and The Archbishop of Canterbury, a couple of nuns along with Kermit the frog, all get up. I reckoned I'd arrived.:hilton:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Fingers crossed for Wolfie first up this afternoon, gutted for the Silverback yesterday.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Just watched the darts on Challenge, brilliant.
They won a 35mm camera,silver tea service and golf clubs but lost it all on the star prize, a mini, but as Tony says, "that's the gamble"
You can't beat a bit of bully.
Another one on now.

(PS Just switched over between programmes, its better than the ladies on at the moment at the proper darts, which to be honest is shocking)

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Great performance that from Excalibur, didn't see that one coming but well deserved at the 4th time of asking on the hallowed Lakeside stage.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The Harbour Master up next, lets hope his opponent is not all at sea.

:lolol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here