Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Micky Adams

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
His biography's out soon and it's excellent. There's also a brilliant chapter about him in the forthcoming book about Bob Booker.

Im very looking forward to this.
Got very horribly trousered with Micky one night prior to a match on Brandy. Told me a corker story about someone that was linked to the albion, will take it to my grave........unless its in the book :lolol:

Great guy
great albion legend
we have much to thank him for

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm also looking forward to reading about his second spell, I've no doubt he won't pull any punches, so hopefully it might change a few people's perspectives when they know what actually happened.

MA did an utterly brilliant job first time, and will always remain an Albion legend for that. What a team (and a team spirit) he put together, from nothing. Terrific.

I'm intrigued by your comment though, because the second spell was a shambles, and I honestly can't think of anything that could possibly have been happening behind the scenes that begins to explain his 'eccentric' team selections, tactics, substitutions, etc. Bizarre that someone who had got so much, so right, could get 'everything' so very wrong. Like the Tranmere fan earlier said, it was sometimes almost as though he was making us shit on purpose.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
MA did an utterly brilliant job first time, and will always remain an Albion legend for that. What a team (and a team spirit) he put together, from nothing. Terrific.

I'm intrigued by your comment though, because the second spell was a shambles, and I honestly can't think of anything that could possibly have been happening behind the scenes that begins to explain his 'eccentric' team selections, tactics, substitutions, etc. Bizarre that someone who had got so much, so right, could get 'everything' so very wrong. Like the Tranmere fan earlier said, it was sometimes almost as though he was making us shit on purpose.

The bit that rung true in both cases were the amount of signings he made, We had loan after loan after loan in. It really was the low point of the Withdean era.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Was it 2001 when he managed Leicester? I remember the match there where they got promoted and we went down. He must have been euphoric but he came over to applaud the Albion supporters first. He's up there with Gritt - without him no Future

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
If ever there was an example of "never go back." An absolutely club legend the first time round. The turnaround he performed on this club of ours was truly remarkable, and I will love him forever because of it. When he left (1st time) I was so shocked I couldn't comprehend it. I can clearly remember getting the text saying "Adams has gone!" and I never even contemplated Micky has quit, my immediate thought was Tony Adams had died in a drunken accident.

Second time around, he couldn't leave quickly enough for me, as he was only tarnishing his reputation, and I was begging for him to go before he did permanent and serious damage to it. For me he left quickly enough to avoid that - The Hawk being the sort of player mis-judgement, and Joel Lynch being player mis-management, that I'm afraid summed up where he had found himself.

Even once gone, he was still attending Falmer marches. Honestly, how many managers would be doing that? It's not as if we were his hometown club, the team he supported as a boy, or a side he'd played for. All round top bloke.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
'eccentric' team selections, tactics, substitutions, etc.

Adam Virgo in midfield! Not just holding midfield either, right midfield, trying to run at opposing full backs. Need we go on .....

As you say, don't know what could come out that will explain away that sort of thing.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Adam Virgo in midfield! Not just holding midfield either, right midfield, trying to run at opposing full backs. Need we go on .....

As you say, don't know what could come out that will explain away that sort of thing.

Was that not Mark Mcghee as well? I remember poor old Virgs playing in nearly every postion on the pitch.

The Adams era MKII is good for a players quiz though, it will really test your knowledge.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Was that not Mark Mcghee as well? I remember poor old Virgs playing in nearly every postion on the pitch.

The Adams era MKII is good for a players quiz though, it will really test your knowledge.

Plenty of 'pointless answers' in that squad.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Yes, pretty sure you're right. The poor bloke had years of being messed around with us.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I think we used over 40 players in that terrible season 08/09. Muddled thinking galore.

First spell was amazing though, given how relatively soon it was after the true gory years

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I don't want to put a downer on this thread, but his success first time round was due to his links to players at Brentford and Fulham. Cullip, Watson, Freeman, Brooker, Carpenter, Oatway and Rogers. When he moved higher up the leagues, and as these players got older, he wasn't nearly as successful.

He did a great job for us, don't get me wrong, but a lot of managers could have with that squad in the bottom 2 divisions. Thanks for Bobby Zamora though!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I don't want to put a downer on this thread, but his success first time round was due to his links to players at Brentford and Fulham. Cullip, Watson, Freeman, Brooker, Carpenter, Oatway and Rogers. When he moved higher up the leagues, and as these players got older, he wasn't nearly as successful.

He did a great job for us, don't get me wrong, but a lot of managers could have with that squad in the bottom 2 divisions. Thanks for Bobby Zamora though!

Agreed but he put it together.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Last edited:

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
First time round,he helped lift the gloom and doom from our great club. He brought success......We all started to smile and cheer again. To me a Brighton legend (first time round ) .....!!!!!!

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here