Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Saltdean Lido

• Thread starter Deleted member 22389
  • Start date

geoff2021

Jun 22, 2009
Actually might have a chance of survival with that, otherwise doomed to fail again sadly.

worked there in 1966 as a lifeguard, an old Brighton Tiger ice hockey player Nobby Richardson was the manager used to walk around chain smoking, the water was freezing and had to sweep the pool clean every day still have fond memories of my time there

Brother Sid

Jan 4, 2006
Horsham
Nobby Richardson was known by us yoofs as 'Jellybean' due to his enormous gut. He'd chuck you out instantly for kicking a football. We got our own back by painting a sign ' Jellybean's Bath' above the entrance one night.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Nobby Richardson was known by us yoofs as 'Jellybean' due to his enormous gut. He'd chuck you out instantly for kicking a football. We got our own back by painting a sign ' Jellybean's Bath' above the entrance one night.

That's made me do a lol

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
worked there in 1966 as a lifeguard, an old Brighton Tiger ice hockey player Nobby Richardson was the manager used to walk around chain smoking, the water was freezing and had to sweep the pool clean every day still have fond memories of my time there

I used to go with all my Peacehaven mates that all had dads that were Nobby's Brighton Tigers team mates, he knew it and even so was a bloody miserable manager to all of us accepting we had a few rascals.

Loved the Lido, big part of my younger days, so glad it remains a seemingly illogical business decision of an outside pool, love it ....

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
We have a pool at Hinskey in Oxford, it is profitable, outdoor swimming is on the up. No reason why Saltdean can't be, a good summer does help though

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Really glad to see this. Only ever saw the Lido when accompanying my folks on a walk along the bottom of the cliffs. Great building and potentially a great facility, let's hope it's a success

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

I remember Jellybean - he lived in a flat opposite me at the bottom of Withyham Ave - grumpy as fvck.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Stunning art deco piece. Fantastic news :thumbsup:

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
Yesterday was perfect for the reopening.

Did anyone from here go along?

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/jun/19/saltdean-lido-near-brighton-reopens-swimming#img-1

Lido.jpg

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Delighted it's been saved and re-opened, it would have left a huge nostalgia shaped hole whenever I returned if it had gone. Saltdean was always better with a butlins rather than some poncy, over priced flats so to have lost the lido to the same kind of development would have been really sad to see.

Also what, if any, are the plans for the pitch and putt? It was never that well looked after(or used) but I did used to like having a (free...) game when I was a kid and I loved riding my bmx down it and using the greens and bunkers as jumps as well as busting the sled out whenever it snowed.

finally on the Saltdean theme, is it really a village or is that the author using some poetic license? No one called it a village when I was growing up. Rottingdean was the village. Saltdean and Woodingdean were...just places(Ovingdean was a mystery: where exactly was it?!).

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
We went down yesterday as its just a few minutes walk from our front door. So glad to see it was busy all weekend. My best mates wife has been one of the leading campaigners getting funding, media exposure etc over the last few years - so to see it finally open was a huge sigh of relief for everyone involved.

The pool looks great, although I didn't stay in long as I've got busted ribs (& it was rather manic with kids dive bombing everywhere!) The water was lovely though, & it was great to be able to lie out in the sun on the grass. When its a little quieter I will definitely be using it as much as I can.

One thing I noticed was the paving they've used round the edge of the pool was nice and cool...despite the temperatures this weekend. I was expecting it to be like walking across hot coals, but they've obviously done their homework and its great to see little touches like that added.

PS - I've lived in Saltdean for 18 years now, and never considered it a village!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We have a pool at Hinskey in Oxford, it is profitable, outdoor swimming is on the up. No reason why Saltdean can't be, a good summer does help though

There is one BIG difference between an open-air swimming pool in Oxford and one in Brighton - however I won't insult your intelligence by asking you what it is! :)

Good luck to the people at Saltdean Lido, but I still think the factor that has always contributed to its failure (location) will eventually be its undoing again, however I would love to be proved wrong.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I went this weekend. My kids were amongst the first 5 in on the mass bombing opening.

We've bought season tickets for this year and will see how much usage we get out of it but as we are a 5 min stroll away im hopeful.

For the opening weekend there were pop up food and drink sellers plus some music being played which made it all feel very continental (reminded me of a municipal lido in ojen near marbella that we used a lot when we were there a few years ago).

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
Spent most of my childhood down there ( lived in Chichester drive west )........oh the memories!
First time day after we moved to Saltdean , grey cold but manage to get my mum to take us.
Then the 5p after 4pm days........run home from school......kitchen table my trunks rolled up in a towel with 5p on top !
As we got older the game of bunking in over the fence when the life guards weren't looking ...........throw ya towel down and lie there for 10 minutes like you had been there all day .

And lastly the rubbish clear up at the end of the day......life guards job but they would pick kids like a school footie team , give you a bin and reward us with free crisps !!!

Thought about going to the opening day but would have blubbered like the kid from all those years ago at the memories......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here