Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Me too Smirko, on same day but the other side and earlier in the day.

My black & white stuff doesn't sell as well as my colour, but ... I've high hopes for this one, already with my agencies. :thumbsup:

Images-25109_.jpg

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Any recommendations on where I can get some decent frames for my work? I've got loads of prints and mounts but the frames I bought are rubbish. Need to be able to hold 20x16" mounts. I need something durable as I like to change my photos around.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes

It's a nice shot Smirko. Don't know if you've got Lightroom, but if it were my shot I would use the exposure and contrast levels in the magic wand tool to brighten up the cliffs a bit, not too much just a tad. The same with the sea element just to separate it from the sky. Best thing about Lightroom as I'm sure you know is that there's a auto mask check box to stop you from affecting the surrounding areas. Nice shot though .

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's a nice shot Smirko. Don't know if you've got Lightroom, but if it were my shot I would use the exposure and contrast levels in the magic wand tool to brighten up the cliffs a bit, not too much just a tad. The same with the sea element just to separate it from the sky. Best thing about Lightroom as I'm sure you know is that there's a auto mask check box to stop you from affecting the surrounding areas. Nice shot though .

No expert me, but at what point does an app-enhanced photo cease to be a photo? Wouldn't happen to Cartier-Bresson.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
No expert me, but at what point does an app-enhanced photo cease to be a photo? Wouldn't happen to Cartier-Bresson.

Adding or removing key elements of an image possibly, although Steve McCurry might disagree despite the current bedwettery by the 'pure' photojournalists.

Even Cartier-Bresson indulged in dodging and shading as it used to be called.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

All digital photos are processed even using 'default' settings.

Even film was processed and different films gave different exposures.

All you are really doing when modifying an image is manually doing something that is normally automatic.

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton

Cheers, not really sure how to do that tbh! bit technical for me, still learning, use PS for editing not LR.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Here's an example of a recent pic that I took. The first pic is how it comes out of the camera, and the second is the same pic after processing. You have to process an image, especially if you shoot 'RAW' as I do. I'm not talking about removing key elements, but just bringing out the detail (that the camera records in a 'raw' file) so that it resembles what you actually saw.

a.jpgb.jpg

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Just weighing in again on the subject of digital editing and processing. Here's an image that i took a couple of days ago near Goudhurst. A before and after image, first one is the original 'raw' file and the second is the processed version with a little more creative license this time, ie removal of clouds, vapor trails and telephone wires and ramping up of the colours, (none added by the way)

a-2.jpg Images-25187_.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I've never seen so many cats lazing around as there are in Provence. Every hill top village seems to have a load of them. I love taking photos of cats. They don't fly off like butterflies! Here's one I took earlier.

Attachments

• Callian Cat 5 NSC.jpg
    Callian Cat 5 NSC.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 517

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here