Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Night games - what was your first?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
You are correct. Palace were in or near the top and we were not far behind, although we both missed out in the end, Millwall, Cardiff & 1 other beat us to it, but we both went up the following season.

Yeah, apologies [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION]. Just checked the stats - according to 'Seagulls', going into the game we were 3rd on 37 points. Can't find any record of Palace's position at that point in the season, but they also had 37 points, so must have been either 2nd or 4th, I imagine. As Freddie says, we both missed out at the end of the season (we finished 4th, Palace 5th) but were both promoted of course in the following campaign. The game was actually in February, Sammy Morgan scored both goals. The actual attendance was 33,300 - and the referee was a certain Ron Challis! One of the reasons Palace were so high profile, apart from that fedora-wearing, cigar-smoking gobshite, was that they reached the FA Cup semi-final that season - first time it had had been achieved by a third dvision team. Heady days for both clubs.

One other thing to add - and I'm sure people will correct me on this if it's not true - but I'm pretty sure this was the game that we became the 'Seagulls'. The 'Seagulls!' chant was first sung at that match as a counter-chant to Palace's 'Eagles!'. We were actually known as the Dolphins at the time (a club nickname that never caught on), but the club eventually adopted Seagulls as it became a popular chant at the Goldstone after that game.

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
My first game watching the Albion, was under the Goldstone lights, back in February 1985, a 4-1 win over Carlisle United.

But my first ever evening game was way back in the late 1960's at Stompond Lane, watching Walton & Hersham play in the Isthmian League. The late Allen Batsford's side had a great cup pedigree too, winning tha Amateur Cup on several occasions, and claiming a few league scalps too, in the FA Cup.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Mine was around 1963. It was against Millwall. We walked past their supporters' coaches and were greeted with vile (verbal!) abuse. I was about 9 years old and although I was from a council estate and hardly led a sheltered life, I was shocked by being the focus of such apparent hatred. This was before the football hooliganism era but it signalled that these were not scholars and gentlemen!

League cup tie with Wolves (1969?). We lost 3-2 to a team that was then in Div 1. Cracking game and can never really forget the first sight of the Goldstone with the floodlights on

It may have been a season or two later G; Hugh Curran, Derek Dougan and Kenny Hibbitt (I think) were playing for Wolves.
Anyone in the 5th or 6th forms at Hove CGS at the time including (@NotAndyNaylor) should remember this one as the school Speech Day had been moved to that evening. From memory 60-70 boys had trouble with their homework and large amounts of marking also kept a number of staff away from the school.

The first night game I can remember was the Div 4 promotion game in 1965 (vs Doncaster I think).

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here