Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Soon about to embark upon this well regarded Finnish 'noir' thriller. Done Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Iceland...so a logical progression.
004c1729827066a149b96f1a9ae31e0f8765a0d6.jpg

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Bloomin' brilliant stuff this

View attachment 82051

I'm going to start this. Along a similar theme, I've just finished Fauda (Chaos in English I think) - an Israeli ten, 30 minute-parter about a security unit doing what they do, with plenty of good guys/bad guys line-blurring. It's on Netflix I think. Don't for a second think it's some ropey Middle East production with no budget, it's far from it. Exciting stuff.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Marco Polo on Netflix. Really enjoyed it, great production & top Martial Arts scenes. Kublai Khan is brilliantly played by Benedict Wong.
Production scale wise only Game of Thrones can match it according to Los Angeles Times.

Well worth taking the time to binge watch the 2 seasons that have so far reached our screens. There is surely more to come as the end of season 2 doesn't totally conclude the story ( not wanting to spoil it )

Also a good spin off "100 Eyes" about the Monk who trains The Khans consorts in Martial Arts - quite brilliantly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know I'm niche within a niche here, but a while ago I was rummaging around for replacements for Supergirl and Netflix's Lemony Snickets, for the nearly teen stat club jnr's.

Anyhoo, on Netflix we stumbled across:-

Granite-Flats.jpg

We've only watched the pilot but the kids were hooked into it, IMDB likes it, and further investigation has it as being made by the Moron church (not that that's apparent) although it will guarantee child friendly content.

Last edited:

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Cardinal. Canadian drama. Excellent.

Isn't it just? Liked it a lot.

I've just finished GLOW - a Netflix comedy/drama which I ruddy loved. Set in the 80s, about the start of the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling: tight funny script, great characters that develop well, touches nicely on things 80s and women in the 80s, Marc Maron (never seen him act before but he's excellent), and there are lots of people on here who'd like it as much as I do, I guarantee it!

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Ozark on Netflix, imo the best tv series since Breaking Bad and it has the potential to be even better.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
just on episode 3 of Ozark . it definitely has a breaking bad feel to it

Ive just binged all of series one and it doesn't disappoint, in fact it hits heights that Breaking Bad took 3 seasons to reach. The Snells are redneck villains who make Tuco Salamanca look like a playground bully.

Did you know that it was created by Mark Williams who was once a tv producer on Casualty.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Im co-signing Ozark too, loving it atm some really interesting characters. I find it slow at times but I still find it captivating at the same time. Im on E3 and seems like its starting to really kick off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here