Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Forest v Albion moved to Monday 11th April - live on Sky

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
You mean Boro? That's because it was just 17 days notice - less than the minimum agreed between the FL and Sky.

Anyone else?

Look, you know what, I realise it's not quite up there with the Boro situation, but it still sucks, and the club just sit there and say nothing, because they don't give a toss. I really wanted to go to that game, to support the team, and to have a great day out with friends. Now I can't do it, because I have to work on the Monday & Tuesday, and I'm £45 out of pocket, with absolutely nothing to show for it (unless I just fancy going to Nottingham for no reason whatsoever that weekend).

Right now, it feels like the only time the Albion care about me (or you) losing money is when they want another £565 from me for a season ticket (I believe I've had three email reminders so far, since receiving the initial renewal letter. There's bound to be at least one more on its way).

At the time of writing, I wish I could turn round and tell them to piss off with the season ticket, but obviously I won't, because watching the Albion is what I do, and what I love, and I realise I'd be cutting off my nose to spite my face. Plus, the club will quite happily fill my seat with some other mug. I noted in the Leeds match programme other day that Barber was urging us all to renew early, and to change to direct debits, as the club prefer to have money coming in steadily through the season, rather than all in one go. Well having read those notes about the benefit to the club from spreading the payments, I was actually contemplating changing mine from a lump sum to the DD scheme, you know, to be helpful & all that. But screw that now, I'll stick with what I always do, and I'll leave renewing it until the last possible moment.

Obviously, this is the most token protest I can possibly make under the circumstances, and I accept that the club will neither notice nor care, as I'm just one of thousands, and they'll get my money in the end anyway. But I'm not sure what else I can do, under the circumstances. It really does piss me off, still. Grrrrr.

I'm with the Leeds fans. Sky TV, is ****ing shit.

#TogetherMyArse

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
If this is Barber's view (and i don't doubt it is) then it is short-sighted as well as money-grabbing. The away support,as edna points out, could be critical in helping us get a result at Forest, as it famously did 2 years ago.

Why not spend the £30k in subsidising 20 coaches (1k fans) at £30/per head? It might just be the best investment of the season. I know the coach doesn't suit everyone but it gets you home the same night which isn't possible by train.

How about it [MENTION=561]Insider[/MENTION] ? #Together? Or is this just facile marketing? Prove it isn't.

PG

Good shout PG.
Although I've already booked new train tkts and a hotel for the rearranged date, my biggest issue is having to take two days off work (unpaid). I suspect this will still put many off even with subsidised travel.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You mean Boro? That's because it was just 17 days notice - less than the minimum agreed between the FL and Sky.

Anyone else?

Who's paying for it though? Presumably if it is contractual then surely Sky should be footing the compensation bill but the news is coming out like it is a gesture from Middlesbrough!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Look, you know what, I realise it's not quite up there with the Boro situation, but it still sucks, and the club just sit there and say nothing, because they don't give a toss. I really wanted to go to that game, to support the team, and to have a great day out with friends. Now I can't do it, because I have to work on the Monday & Tuesday, and I'm £45 out of pocket, with absolutely nothing to show for it (unless I just fancy going to Nottingham for no reason whatsoever that weekend).

Right now, it feels like the only time the Albion care about me (or you) losing money is when they want another £565 from me for a season ticket (I believe I've had three email reminders so far, since receiving the initial renewal letter. There's bound to be at least one more on its way).

At the time of writing, I wish I could turn round and tell them to piss off with the season ticket, but obviously I won't, because watching the Albion is what I do, and what I love, and I realise I'd be cutting off my nose to spite my face. Plus, the club will quite happily fill my seat with some other mug. I noted in the Leeds match programme other day that Barber was urging us all to renew early, and to change to direct debits, as the club prefer to have money coming in steadily through the season, rather than all in one go. Well having read those notes about the benefit to the club from spreading the payments, I was actually contemplating changing mine from a lump sum to the DD scheme, you know, to be helpful & all that. But screw that now, I'll stick with what I always do, and I'll leave renewing it until the last possible moment.

Obviously, this is the most token protest I can possibly make under the circumstances, and I accept that the club will neither notice nor care, as I'm just one of thousands, and they'll get my money in the end anyway. But I'm not sure what else I can do, under the circumstances. It really does piss me off, still. Grrrrr.

I'm with the Leeds fans. Sky TV, is ****ing shit.

#TogetherMyArse

Post of the week. Well said. Club would do well to read this surmise of thousands of fans feelings. And hopefully learn. Right now I reckon 0/10 chance of that happening mind. Barber will just shrug his shoulders aka "what can you do"?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Good shout PG.
Although I've already booked new train tkts and a hotel for the rearranged date, my biggest issue is having to take two days off work (unpaid). I suspect this will still put many off even with subsidised travel.

This was the point I was, perhaps rather clumsily (I'm still annoyed by it all) trying to make.

The club could win a lot of brownie points by making a (relatively) small investment in helping to get people to this game who'd still like to go even with the piss poor kick off time. I know many will be prevented from doing so by work anyway, but cost and train times is obviously a significant issue too. If this is really our tenth game of the season on Sky, then the Albion have made well over half a million out of it. Is that unreasonable, even if only in the interests of a bit of good PR, and getting more support to the game?

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Have bitten the 'back at stupid o'clock again' bullet and still attending but, like I posted earlier in the thread, am miffed about this one BHA.
Be nice to get a PB overview

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
This was the point I was, perhaps rather clumsily (I'm still annoyed by it all) trying to make.

The club could win a lot of brownie points by making a (relatively) small investment in helping to get people to this game who'd still like to go even with the piss poor kick off time. I know many will be prevented from doing so by work anyway, but cost and train times is obviously a significant issue too. If this is really our tenth game of the season on Sky, then the Albion have made well over half a million out of it. Is that unreasonable, even if only in the interests of a bit of good PR, and getting more support to the game?

If we take 1500+ to an away game we can make a bit of noise which (IMHO) must help the team, any less than that we don't really make an impact. I wouldn't hold your breath for any kind of subsidised travel - you might get a free cup of bovril out of Barber if you're lucky.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Look, you know what, I realise it's not quite up there with the Boro situation, but it still sucks, and the club just sit there and say nothing, because they don't give a toss.

Agree it would be a good gesture. Although I guess they might worry about setting a precedent?

Out of interest, when did you book?

The Brighton Ace

Nov 14, 2008
Sussex by the sea
Does anyone remember Shrewsbury away in the JPT back in the Withdean days when we landed Sky coverage? The club put on free coach travel and subsidised tickets to help the fans out and boost away support. Different times and different ambitions.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Have bitten the 'back at stupid o'clock again' bullet and still attending but, like I posted earlier in the thread, am miffed about this one BHA.
Be nice to get a PB overview

I did exchange some emails yesterday. The club view is that they don't have a choice with these fixtures and that the Middlesbrough 'gesture' was due to a contractual dispute of some sort. Also, the club heavily subsidise travel to home games and as they are already losing £1m a month they aren't going to extend this to away fixtures because it comes out of TB's pocket!! I don't like the position but I understand it.

I'm not sure it would have cost that much to provide coaches for those that could prove they have already purchased train tickets as I doubt there are that many that have committed to the outlay.

Unfortunately, our party of 4 have committed so we're going to pay the extra £6.90 and hop over to Derby to support Bolton in their match at the Ipro. No doubt we'll enjoy a few drinks along the way.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Agree it would be a good gesture. Although I guess they might worry about setting a precedent?

Out of interest, when did you book?

Think it was last week. I know. My error. I even said at the time that I hoped they wouldn't move it. I guess I just crossed my fingers, in the knowledge that the train fare would soon be around £80 if I left it much longer. Also thought there must be other more attractive games for those tossers to feature. Clearly not.

I don't think it would be a precedent really- I mean, I got a free pie & pint for the game at Boro last season, and I'm not expecting the same this year for one second.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I did exchange some emails yesterday. The club view is that they don't have a choice with these fixtures and that the Middlesbrough 'gesture' was due to a contractual dispute of some sort. Also, the club heavily subsidise travel to home games and as they are already losing £1m a month they aren't going to extend this to away fixtures because it comes out of TB's pocket!! I don't like the position but I understand it.

I'm not sure it would have cost that much to provide coaches for those that could prove they have already purchased train tickets as I doubt there are that many that have committed to the outlay.

Unfortunately, our party of 4 have committed so we're going to pay the extra £6.90 and hop over to Derby to support Bolton in their match at the Ipro. No doubt we'll enjoy a few drinks along the way.

Perhaps [MENTION=12880]Hotchilidog[/MENTION] and I will join you then, if we can't get refunds from the train company. Might be amusing to get a contingent of Albion fans there :lol:

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

Perhaps [MENTION=12880]Hotchilidog[/MENTION] and I will join you then, if we can't get refunds from the train company. Might be amusing to get a contingent of Albion fans there :lol:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Think it was last week. I know. My error. I even said at the time that I hoped they wouldn't move it. I guess I just crossed my fingers, in the knowledge that the train fare would soon be around £80 if I left it much longer. Also thought there must be other more attractive games for those tossers to feature. Clearly not.

I don't think it would be a precedent really- I mean, I got a free pie & pint for the game at Boro last season, and I'm not expecting the same this year for one second.

Yeah, agree it was an unlikely pick. You were v unlucky.

There's obv a difference between a random freebie (free pit & pint) and offering 'compensation' for a match moved (within agreed rules). What if someone has flights/hotel rather than simply train? What if Sky move another match this season?

One thing the club definitely could do (next season): be really clear, on the ticket site, the latest date each match can't be moved by TV companies. Everyone would then know when it's safe to book transport, and could make their own decision about 'gambling' before the Sky deadline.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yeah, agree it was an unlikely pick. You were v unlucky.

There's obv a difference between a random freebie (free pit & pint) and offering 'compensation' for a match moved (within agreed rules). What if someone has flights/hotel rather than simply train? What if Sky move another match this season?

One thing the club definitely could do (next season): be really clear, on the ticket site, the latest date each match can't be moved by TV companies. Everyone would then know when it's safe to book transport, and could make their own decision about 'gambling' before the Sky deadline.

Let's not forget that it won't just be Sky next year but don't BT have more games? Think BT are showing games on Saturday evenings and Sky will be doing a new Friday night slot so that could cause problems!!!

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Let's be clear there are no rules relating to when sky can cancel games 28 days is their rule of thumb. At least Middlesbrough will Deffo be 12.30 on May 7th .! Is this the 13th game we've had changed by Sky?

Again, I'm no fan of this, but the Football League do state that at this stage of the season TV fixtures are selected on a rolling 5 week basis...

View attachment 72769

We all take a risk if we make commitments that we can't cancel/amend prior to the TV games being announced.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Let's be clear there are no rules relating to when sky can cancel games 28 days is their rule of thumb. At least Middlesbrough will Deffo be 12.30 on May 7th .! Is this the 13th game we've had changed by Sky?

10th or 11th if you count Reading when it was first moved

And whilst theres no hard and fast rules there are published guidelines as to fixture changes as per Bozzas link

Saturn

Vicarious
Feb 11, 2016

The bit I've bolded, why do they subsidise travel for home games? Vast majority of home support have a less than 2 hour commute to the Amex which is a shorter (and cheaper) journey than than the average travel to an away game. Away games, being further away and being more expensive, would surely benefit more from such subsidies?

From a selfish perspective, I'm happy it's being shown on Sky as it means I can watch it. But I do sympathise with everyone here that has already arranged their travel and accommodation, likely a couple of hundred quid down the drain unless it can be re-arranged.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The bit I've bolded, why do they subsidise travel for home games? Vast majority of home support have a less than 2 hour commute to the Amex which is a shorter (and cheaper) journey than than the average travel to an away game. Away games, being further away and being more expensive, would surely benefit more from such subsidies?

From a selfish perspective, I'm happy it's being shown on Sky as it means I can watch it. But I do sympathise with everyone here that has already arranged their travel and accommodation, likely a couple of hundred quid down the drain unless it can be re-arranged.

Why do you think they subsidise home travel. The more people that can get to the stadium the more the club benefit financially, from the tickets to get in to the money spent on the concourses. The only benefit for away support is the backing the fans give the team. The club get no income from the away gate revenue other than expenses. Also, are you suggesting they should do away with the home travel subsidy for 25,000 fans and replace it with a subsidy for an average of about 1000 away fans?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here