Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] What is your 1 favourite computer / console game?

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Now if they could make an Elder Scrolls 6 or whatever instead of trying to port Skyrim to a SatNav....

My cousin works for Bethesda and I nag him about making Elder Scrolls 6 every time I speak to him, normally before I've even asked how the family are doing.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Has to be Galaxian, at the sit-down console in the Liverpool Arms, Haywards Heath. It only had four levels, and it's the only game I ever managed to complete. The level 4 docking of the mothership was positively ORGASMIC! :love:

That wasn't Galaxian. Are you thinking of Moon Cresta?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That wasn't Galaxian. Are you thinking of Moon Cresta?

Actually, having had some long-dormant brain cells from the early eighties kicked back into life by the vid you posted, I do believe you're right. The spaceship shapes certainly look vaguely familiar. Tho I swear there was a final level (not shown in vid) where a single spaceship had to rise up from the bottom of the screen and dock with the mothership, whereupon the whole screen exploded into an orgasmic RIOT of colour and sound. Like I say, only game I ever managed to complete - even if couldn't even remember it's name. I'll be disappointed with that memory fail :moo:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Actually, having had some long-dormant brain cells from the early eighties kicked back into life by the vid you posted, I do believe you're right. The spaceship shapes certainly look vaguely familiar. Tho I swear there was a final level (not shown in vid) where a single spaceship had to rise up from the bottom of the screen and dock with the mothership, whereupon the whole screen exploded into an orgasmic RIOT of colour and sound. Like I say, only game I ever managed to complete - even if couldn't even remember it's name. I'll be disappointed with that memory fail :moo:

Docking begins around 1:40 in that video, and again later. However, with your riot of colour comment, it could well be Gorf. You destroy the mothership but get rewarded with coloured lines.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I can't remember the names of all of them might have to google...

Amstrad
Harrier Attack
Oh Mummy
Football Manager (here was me thinking I'd never played a football manager computer game) Is this the same one that also had trivia questions like naming the ground of a team etc. If not I had more than one football game on the amstrad and my mind is blown.
Breakout (I think it was an amstrad version I played)

Atari
Pitfall

N64
Zelda Ocarina of Time
Zelda Majora's Mask
Goldeneye
Star Wars Rogue Squadron

Xbox 360
Arkham Asylum
Lego Star Wars (original trilogy)

On the Xbox One I've enjoyed the follow up Arkham games, and the follow up Lego games, but they don't feel as good as the originals.

Ipad
The Room (1,2,3)
Injustice (1,2)

PC
Maniac Mansion
The 7th Guest

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
The Room (1,2,3)

Good shout, I LOVED the first The Room, but didn't quite get the same level of love for the follow ups, even though they were damn good.

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
Went to the toy museum today at The Novium in Chichester with the boy. How old did I feel when I found out my first computer is now a museum piece.....

6013CA29-7188-4EEB-BA82-A5ADADB7040B.jpeg

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Went to the toy museum today at The Novium in Chichester with the boy. How old did I feel when I found out my first computer is now a museum piece.....

View attachment 95458

A Spectrum with proper keys? I didn't know they did such a thing. I thought they all had the rubber ones as pictured in the Scrabble cover.

Not that I had one mind. It was ZX81 city for me (now that was a truly shite keyboard).

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
A Spectrum with proper keys? I didn't know they did such a thing. I thought they all had the rubber ones as pictured in the Scrabble cover.

Not that I had one mind. It was ZX81 city for me (now that was a truly shite keyboard).

Spectrum Boys would lord it over us ZX81ers

View attachment 95458
The Spectrum + was my 1st computer as well. Seemed to take me forever to save the cash from my paper round in order to buy it.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Spectrum Boys would lord it over us ZX81ers

We had one of these bad boys before our ZX81 and Spectrum +. Ours had a ram back boosting it to a jaw dropping 3K, got it from our neighbours so it was held in place by sellotape.

ZX80-right.jpg

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
Commodore 64 was mine and my bros 1st computer. We played and finished all the Last Ninjas. Brilliant games with great graphics and sound track.

More ‘recently’ champ manager 93 was so addictive. You could easily lose 8 hours of your life...

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

The Spectrum + was sold from 1984 and you could get a case to put your old board in. Still an original Spectrum style keyboard membrane so not a great keyboard. In both my + and one of my original Spectrums, I have a membrane that uses micro switches. You still use the dead flesh keyboard but the difference it makes having a click when you press a button is immense.

If you really want to bling up your Spectrum (And can wait 6 months for it to arrive!), you can get a custom case, faceplate and keyboard from here.

http://retroradionics.co.uk/

I'm rocking the bronze coloured one.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I’ve seen no mention of yet of Desert Storm or the sequel Jungle Storm. Must have been early nineties on the mega drive. Great graphics and a good mix of action and strategy.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Good shout, I LOVED the first The Room, but didn't quite get the same level of love for the follow ups, even though they were damn good.

They merge into one for me, but the first is usually the best.

Incidentally, I discovered a fourth has been released 'The Room: Original Sins'

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Football Manager, or Championship Manager when I was a kid, has been a constant in my life from childhood to adulthood.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Skool Daze (i've got it on an APP)

I’ve got the app too! The beauty of that game originally was renaming all the kids and teachers after those at your school! Rarely loaded successful for me though.

The Wild Bunch and Booty were two spectrum favourites of mine along with the underrated transformers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here