Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Applauding fans who have passed away

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Wonder how long until someone uses social media to create a false "fan death" which will be taken at face value and then held to ridicule by some **** off the Holmesdale End

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
There was a long thread on this subject just recently.

I would go for the once a season 'respect' game. Maybe last game where all the lost fans/players/managers could be remembered.

This with bells on. I can totally understand family wanting to see a brief tribute when they've been a lifelong fan, but it's getting too much too often, particularly as often very few in the stadium actually know the person concerned. Once a season, with a collage of photos up on the screen, and a minute's applause, would be fine.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Maybe we could have a "in the event of my untimely demise I do not require a minute's applause" tickbox registered against our Fan Number on the club's database :moo:

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
I don't see what the big deal is. If a supporter has been attending matches for 40+ years or been an active member of AITC or REMF for example. What's wrong about acknowledging that with a minutes applause? Who cares that I didn't know the person. I never met Graham Taylor but it didn't stop a minutes applause up and down the country this last weekend.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don't see what the big deal is. If a supporter has been attending matches for 40+ years or been an active member of AITC or REMF for example. What's wrong about acknowledging that with a minutes applause? Who cares that I didn't know the person. I never met Graham Taylor but it didn't stop a minutes applause up and down the country this last weekend.

That's fine. You pick a minute of any game and start clapping. You're bound to be remembering somebody.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

The big deal is that the more it is encouraged, the more people will bombard the club with requests (and take instant umbrage on social media if their requests are knocked back), the more devalued the whole thing becomes. Applause compassion fatigue seems to have already set in, and rightly so IMHO. Save it for the programme and/or a pre-match round-up before the last home game of the season. It's just getting silly now.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

a) Because it becomes a more a habit than a genuine act of remembrance.
b) Because it devalues 'genuine' silences and celebrations - e.g. Poppy Day, Shoreham
c) Because we have 20,000 ST holders, and so realistically should be doing 12 or so people a game (assuming we die at a constant rate over the next 70 odd years)
d) Because it's symptomatic of a wider trend towards overt public Dianaesque 'shared' grief, as opposed to private reflection.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Absolutely this. The clue is that they requested about their 'grandad', suggesting they're a 20 something tops. The trouble is, there's now an entire generation that believes it's 'the norm' to do this. No it F UCKIN ISNT! It's just further 'generation snowflake' me me me narcassism which 'generation sheep' (their other alias) blindly and without pause for thought, think. It's truly not their fault when raised to think it's normal. But it's got to stop as have the paddies they throw when they don't get their way.

The sooner we get our centuries old sensible, stuff upper lip back the better. But Christ it's an endangered species in this country right now. It's a joke we've exploited 'keep calm and carry on' as a marketing phenomena when all the evidence is to the contrary. Not. Even. Fit. To. Clean. The. Shoes. Of. The. Greatest. Generation!

To be fair, I don't think this is a generation snowflake thing. Anyone can lose a sense of perspective when they're grieving. And anyone can feel that, when they've lost someone, they want to 'do' something to make it better.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
Absolutely this. The clue is that they requested about their 'grandad', suggesting they're a 20 something tops. The trouble is, there's now an entire generation that believes it's 'the norm' to do this. No it F UCKIN ISNT! It's just further 'generation snowflake' me me me narcassism which 'generation sheep' (their other alias) blindly and without pause for thought, think. It's truly not their fault when raised to think it's normal. But it's got to stop as have the paddies they throw when they don't get their way.

The sooner we get our centuries old sensible, stuff upper lip back the better. But Christ it's an endangered species in this country right now. It's a joke we've exploited 'keep calm and carry on' as a marketing phenomena when all the evidence is to the contrary. Not. Even. Fit. To. Clean. The. Shoes. Of. The. Greatest. Generation!

Well considering his mate is 16 (The person who posted the email reply) i'd guess around 16-17. I'm 19 and I think it's pointless! We're not all the same

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
It's a minutes applause. If you don't want to clap, don't clap. If you want to acknowledge someones support then clap. I will be clapping. It's 60 seconds of your time.

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012

Err who are you claiming is the greatest generation? I agree they are being self indulgent but the rest of the vitriol seems a little unnecessary.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
- 1 game wrap-up of all dearly departed from the last 1 game wrap-up

= make it half time of the final (only) home pre-season freindly (get it out the way from important leaugue/cup games)

- montage of pictures on the big tellys

- Make it a Charity game with donations for the club charities (ATIC etc)

- Make the kit "special" for the game - i.e. names of the dearly departed listed in the blue stripes

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The act itself is no hardship on anyone. However it has COMPLETELY lost it's meaning (In my opinion, of course).

When I was 12 and first started going to the Withdean I remember the sheer CHILLS it sent down my spine hearing a deadly quiet football crowd for a 1 minute silence or the weird, yet dignified, feeling of a minutes applause with no cheering whilst the game still went on.

It was so rare that it felt truly important and I would reflect on the reason I'm doing it.

Now, it feels we like football fans are applauding every week for people in specific minutes. Again, the act is no effort, but you can see people are just clapping like robots now, often turning to each other saying "whats this one for?". To me, that completely destroys the whole point of doing it in the first place.

People die. We have 25k people coming each week. Someone in that crowd will die every now and then. It's not nice but it's the reality. The first game of the season we will probably have to schedule in 10 rounds of applause for people who have passed over the summer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here