Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question Time tonight

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
The Al-Jazeera chap has got plenty of previous as a not-so-liberal commentator. He's basically a mouthpiece for the Iranian government and no friend of the West. He's on record as referring to us kaffirs as people of no intelligence and live our lives as animals, atheists are mere 'cattle'. Best not mention his views on apostasy, homosexuality and the like, suffice to say he's not a fan.

This, I'm suprised the BBC fell for letting him on.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Tory Anna Soubry was awful, her spat with Andy Burnham was excruciating. Even in a week with sobering, life-changing events she couldn't stop herself trying to score cheap political points off Labour. Cameron needs to get rid, she is seriously out of her depth.

The rest of the panel were good, the audience asked good questions.

However, the highlight of the night was just after QT - Andrew Neil's pro-French, anti-ISIS tirade at the start of This Week.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Tory Anna Soubry was awful, her spat with Andy Burnham was excruciating. Even in a week with sobering, life-changing events she couldn't stop herself trying to score cheap political points off Labour. Cameron needs to get rid, she is seriously out of her depth.

However, the highlight of the night was just after QT - Andrew Neil's pro-French, anti-ISIS tirade at the start of This Week.
Absolutely spot on. That Tory was one of the worst politicians I've even seen invited to the show, and the fact that Burnham is a senior Labour figure shows what lack of depth they have in talent. The pair of them were absolutely pathetic.

And as others have said, we are left with absolutely no potential solutions after suffering their pointless bickering.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Al-Jazeera chap has got plenty of previous as a not-so-liberal commentator. He's basically a mouthpiece for the Iranian government and no friend of the West. He's on record as referring to us kaffirs as people of no intelligence and live our lives as animals, atheists are mere 'cattle'. Best not mention his views on apostasy, homosexuality and the like, suffice to say he's not a fan.

Scarcely a word of that is true (the bit about homosexuality is partly true, he admits he personally has problems with it but he attacks homophobia too and doesn't call for mass stonings in Kemp Town).

His views on apostasy are very straightforward: he's appalled that such a view could be punishable. Here's what he wrote in the New Statesman ""The sharia (or Islamic law), it is claimed, sanctions the death penalty for any adult Muslim who chooses to leave the faith, or apostatise. This is an intellectually, morally and, perhaps above all, theologically unsustainable position." or in the Guardian "The death sentence (for apostasy) in Iran is an affront to universal moral values and a disservice to Muslims."

I read Hasan pretty regularly when he was a New Statesman columnist. In most respects, he's a liberal, westernised commentator with harsh views on Muslim fundamentalism. The quote about "cattle" that Buzzer mentions was a brief mention in a long speech about how Muslim fundamentalists see the world.

He writes about it at length here, explaining the context (and pointing out that he used the word to describe unthinking Muslims too) and that the attack on the speech was led by someone who admitted that he hadn't even heard a recording of it or read the whole transcript.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Scarcely a word of that is true (the bit about homosexuality is partly true, he admits he personally has problems with it but he attacks homophobia too and doesn't call for mass stonings in Kemp Town).

His views on apostasy are very straightforward: he's appalled that such a view could be punishable. Here's what he wrote in the New Statesman ""The sharia (or Islamic law), it is claimed, sanctions the death penalty for any adult Muslim who chooses to leave the faith, or apostatise. This is an intellectually, morally and, perhaps above all, theologically unsustainable position." or in the Guardian "The death sentence (for apostasy) in Iran is an affront to universal moral values and a disservice to Muslims."

I read Hasan pretty regularly when he was a New Statesman columnist. In most respects, he's a liberal, westernised commentator with harsh views on Muslim fundamentalism. The quote about "cattle" that Buzzer mentions was a brief mention in a long speech about how Muslim fundamentalists see the world.

He writes about it at length here, explaining the context (and pointing out that he used the word to describe unthinking Muslims too) and that the attack on the speech was led by someone who admitted that he hadn't even heard a recording of it or read the whole transcript.

This is often the danger when people do a quick Google about someone they know little about.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
This is often the danger when people do a quick Google about someone they know little about.

Glad to see that I still get under your skin. A shame that all you've got is these pointless asides that ride on the back of someone else but I guess it's what you do best.

Never mind, you're not to know that it wasn't a quick google, I've known about the likes of him and others such as Mo Ansar, and Gearoid O'Colmain for some time. Politics and current affairs are a little hobby of mine. I stand by what I wrote. Funnily enough, I see that Douglas Murray of The Spectator also raised the same questions yesterday.

http://blogs.new.spectator.co.uk/20...-ask-mehdi-hasan-about-his-views-on-infidels/

I'm not surprised that Gwylan likes him. He's just the type of illiberal muslim anti-West that woolly left-wingers look to for affirmation on this issue because of course he re-says that the answer to the problem is always with the capitalist West. There's loads of political commentators including truly liberal muslims who see him for what he really is and also think the same.

And if you care to listen, here's Hasan in full illiberal flow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7udbYtSMDns

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
There used to be a youtube video of him saying all this , its been removed due to a copyright claim from the islamic society, how very convenient.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Truly we are living in a dark and horrible time when our response to terrorism is to regard Andrew Neil as a touchstone.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

You fail to mention him referring to us'' kaffirs as people of no intelligence and live our lives as animals, atheists are mere 'cattle''' ive seen the video of him stating all this.

Last edited:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Glad to see that I still get under your skin. A shame that all you've got is these pointless asides that ride on the back of someone else but I guess it's what you do best.

Never mind, you're not to know that it wasn't a quick google, I've known about the likes of him and others such as Mo Ansar, and Gearoid O'Colmain for some time. Politics and current affairs are a little hobby of mine. I stand by what I wrote. Funnily enough, I see that Douglas Murray of The Spectator also raised the same questions yesterday.

http://blogs.new.spectator.co.uk/20...-ask-mehdi-hasan-about-his-views-on-infidels/

I'm not surprised that Gwylan likes him. He's just the type of illiberal muslim anti-West that woolly left-wingers look to for affirmation on this issue because of course he re-says that the answer to the problem is always with the capitalist West. There's loads of political commentators including truly liberal muslims who see him for what he really is and also think the same.

And if you care to listen, here's Hasan in full illiberal flow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7udbYtSMDns
Care to comment on this video of your ''liberal''muslim [MENTION=25]Gwylan[/MENTION] [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION]?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Hmmmm. Are you getting a little paranoid here? I quoted a piece of text from Gwilym. Please don't flatter yourself by thinking it was about you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here