Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Danny Holla Signs

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
No mention of a fee, is this a free transfer?

Yes because he was a free agent having been released by ADO Den Haag at the end of last season. There are plenty of free agents out there at the moment, it doesn't mean they are bad players.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Danny Holla

"He is a deep-lying midfielder and the scouting reports I have seen on him show he likes to get on the ball, pass it and dictate the play – and I hope he can bring that to the team." - the reports I have seen on him.

Has Sammi actually seen him play? Hope this works out I honestly do but as the report suggests 'he's not been with a club all pre-season so we'll have to assess his fitness and get him up to speed'. Surely if he was that good someone else would have signed him?

Sorry to sound unexcited but seems another cheap option to me. Hope I'm wrong.

That jumped out at me too. Not the type of quote we're used to seeing from managers in this country. Hyypia making it pretty clear it's not his signing - although he seems happy with that from previous statements. Cheap could be inspired - let's see.

One thing that is clear. I think people have to cut Sami a bit of slack. This is the biggest shake-up since Russell Slade went bonkers in the transfer market after avoiding relegation. Would really be unfair to judge him for several months. Hope people are supportive of him and the team even if they're annoyed at the transfer dealings - it would really help. Anyway, still time for a few more in...

Last edited:

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
"He is a deep-lying midfielder and the scouting reports I have seen on him show he likes to get on the ball, pass it and dictate the play – and I hope he can bring that to the team." - the reports I have seen on him.

Has Sammi actually seen him play?

I was wondering about this, or whether it even matters. I don't know enough about how these things work to know whether this is surprising, but it does put pressure on the scouts - if their reports are not accurate, we've signed the wrong player. Hopefully the scouts are very well qualified and are very well briefed on what we're looking for, both of which you would expect to be the case.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Who knows what he will be like but it seems a freebie again from some lower league in a darkwater of world football. 2011 Vicente 2014 Holla. This sums up the clubs " progress " for me. Still good luck to the Lad

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Has Sammi actually seen him play? Hope this works out I honestly do but as the report suggests 'he's not been with a club all pre-season so we'll have to assess his fitness and get him up to speed'. Surely if he was that good someone else would have signed him?

Sorry to sound unexcited but seems another cheap option to me. Hope I'm wrong.

Sami has said that he does all his scouting from DVDs, but this sounds as if he hasn't even done that. Okay, the days of Peter Taylor (the elder) driving 300 miles to stand behind the goal in freezing rain and a heavy disguise are long gone, but I wonder if things haven't gone a little too far in the opposite direction ...

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
The description of him sounds like Bridcutt but more experienced, and having a quick look around Youtube suggests he has the ability to bury freekicks and penalties.

Worth a punt

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Yes because he was a free agent having been released by ADO Den Haag at the end of last season. There are plenty of free agents out there at the moment, it doesn't mean they are bad players.

Nope, apparently it does. If they've ever been released/relegated then they're immediately awful players and we should avoid them.

Of course, it could be that our supporters have **** all knowledge, but that can't be right?!

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
We need a forward and a left back

Ha ha, didn't notice that. Bit uninspiring all in all.

Here's hoping we are saving our pennies for a "significant" signing....I'm clutching at straws

Edit: I didn't mean that this signing isn't significant. Time will tell. Apologies; this could've been worded better.

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I was wondering about this, or whether it even matters. I don't know enough about how these things work to know whether this is surprising, but it does put pressure on the scouts - if their reports are not accurate, we've signed the wrong player. Hopefully the scouts are very well qualified and are very well briefed on what we're looking for, both of which you would expect to be the case.

I would imagine the scouting reports include videos of him playing, most club record games now so we'd have picked some up from ADO Den Haag. He won't have seen him play live as he's been without a club since Sami took over. Sami must like what he's seen/read though as we've signed him without a trial, if we had concerns surely he'd have been offered a trial like Paddy McCourt.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
.... Our strikers, whether it be Laurel & Hardy yesterday....

Are you sure? I thought CMS was meant to be our £3.25m saviour. Mistreated by both GP and OG, he only needs a start to starting banging in the goals, with his Championship-beating pace and natural footballing skill destroying defences.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Who knows what he will be like but it seems a freebie again from some lower league in a darkwater of world football. 2011 Vicente 2014 Holla. This sums up the clubs " progress " for me. Still good luck to the Lad

Wait, are you saying the Eredivisie is a lower league in a darkwater of world football or just that this signing comes with the same level of excitement and anticipation as signing a freebie from a lower league in a darkwater of world football?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Yeah Holland is a right darkwater of football isn't it Unc.

I am wondering what level of football the league he played in is ? Still at least he has 2 arms and 2 legs and can fill a shirt so that is a bonus. He may be the next Ronaldo, who knows ?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

Spot on..Wish the lad well, but are we as customers supposed to be happy with this??? Dutch second division player in a roll where we are hardly short of options. Forgive me if I don't get excited. Surely the money we are paying him in wages would have been wiser spent, adding to whatever we have set aside for a striker. Just another slap in the face as far as I can see.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here