Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

who would you replace jn the summer

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We need three keepers to cover for injury & illness. Ankergren is adequate at this level, and is happy to be a bench warmer. Why waste resources looking for another keeper, who may or may not want to come here?
I'd keep him.

Never said I wouldn't have a third keeper, would bring on the U21 keeper.

Walton is clearly the established no.2, the U21 keeper ?Josh, can gain experience whilst being around the senior players.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Of the loans expiring, I'd only try to get Tex back.

Halford OUT
Ledesma OUT
Bennett OUT
Best OUT

Of the contracts expiring, I'd retain Calderon and Ankers (as 3rd choice ), so

CMS OUT
Kemy OUT
Fenelon OUT
Monakana OUT
Maksimenko OUT
Hughes OUT
McCourt OUT

11 OUTS then, who I'd replace with :

2 Strikers
1 Winger
1 Central Defender
1 Left Back
1 younger Right Back

6 INS + resign/replace Tex + promote Rea from the DS.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
As well as improving our squad we also desperately need to reduce the average age.

I'd release

Ankergren
Bruno
Chicksen
Hughes
Harford
Bennett
O'Grady
Best
CMS
McCourt
Fenelon
Maksimenko
Monkana
Aguistein
Colunga

I'd keep Calderon as a back up.

Let Stockdale and Walton fight it out for the 1st team spot.
New RB
New CD with Greer as a back up
Dunk
New LB, I'm not convinced by Bennett especially defensively.

Ince
Kayal

Tex if we can get him back
New AM
New AM

New Striker

I see the remaining first team squad members as competition for the first team rather than starters if we expect to challenge.

Cost? Considerable but this is the situation that not strengthening sufficiently over the last two season has caused.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
I would like to see the following Championship quality players. should be obvious who they would replace in the current team. I think we are OK in midfield.

Two forwards
A left and right back
Two central defenders
Keeper ( I am STILL not convinced by Stockdale, a great game or two followed by a gaffe in the next game is not good enough if we want to be challenging) Too inconsistent for me although when he is good he is very good and his distribution is excellent for the most part.

That lot will cost a fortune so I'll settle for two forwards who know where the net is.
i would add a quality wide player

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Out: Ledesma, Best, CMS, Kemy, Hughes and Ankergren.

Loan out: JFC

I'd keep Monakana until January 2016, we should throw him into first team action throughout the summer.

I really want Hughton to build a young squad up, a project if you will. Start looking at our U21s and getting them involved in first team training and evaluating what we have.

Though, we will still need another striker and a right winger and I'd definitely get new full backs, left and right for competition. Build this squad up with a philosophy and get them gelled, no tinkering. We may not see a promotion push next season but a season for the squad to develop with one another then a push the following season. Very much like how Derby and Ipswich have been doing (Derby until lately, just loan anyone and everyone).

We have youngsters that are getting international (or Irish) recognition, let's use their current euphoria of getting international call ups and motivate them into championship players.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Maximenko
CMS
COG transfer
Ballsack transfer or pay off
Kemi
Casper
Do not offer anything to best.
Loan out JFC for a year.

Give Calde another year. Bin off anyone whose contract runs out end of season. Try and get Tex and Benno. Go large on two strikers. A winger, a RB and a centre back.

Job done. Prem beckons.

Spot on for me.

Country Seagull

Jan 11, 2013
Goalkeepers
Perhaps CH will think about loaning Walton out for some experience, I can see Walton being our no.1 in a few years but not yet. Might be hard to sign a replacement to Casper, "3rd choice goalkeeper wanted" is hardly going to have agents phoning day and night.

Defence
While Greer's time as being a first choice centerback is probably coming to an end, he would be more then capable for backup, probably pushing Hughes out. I wouldn't be disappointed so see Bennett re-signed but he's not been as good defensivly as Ward was last year, he still might improve though. We need a new rightback desperately and I wouldn't be surprised if Bruno left despite having a year left on his contract. Halford suffers from being too versatile and has never seemed to nail down a place, I don't know how much his injury has had to do with this though.

Midfield
In the centre we have a lot of strength in depth with Kayal, Stephens and Ince all being fine first choices and Holla, JFC and Crofts making decent backups. Kemmy has looked like a free-agent waiting to happen ever since he signed.
We do need another wide player as we are a bit thin with only Calde (must stay) Kaz and Solly, I wonder if the door is still open for Elliot Bennett. We will also need to new creative midfielder if Tex goes back.

Up Top
It looks like it's going to be another window of trying to sign strikers. Baldock is good enough and COG makes an excellent back up. I'd be amazed if CMS stays with the money he's on, considering how far down the pecking order he is. Leon Best has shown little that our other striker's don't already offer so far.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Goalkeepers
Perhaps CH will think about loaning Walton out for some experience, I can see Walton being our no.1 in a few years but not yet. Might be hard to sign a replacement to Casper, "3rd choice goalkeeper wanted" is hardly going to have agents phoning day and night.
QUOTE]

There could be an older experienced keeper available, like Brad Friedell, who would be happy to sign and perhaps not play all season. I noticed that Dave Beasants son was injured at Stevenage so they signed Dave who is 55 years old and their GK coach as cover on the bench rather than use the U18s keeper.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Odd that so many seem to not want to keep any of the loanees! Personally I'd keep Tex for as long as we possibly can. Can't see us shelling out to buy somebody with his potential and quality.

If the club doesn't spend the Ulloa money and we are content to rely on loaness, they have us over a barrell. They'll turn up, put no more in than necessary grab the cash and then bugger off. And I just don't have time to list them all...but start with Obika, Lita and Gardner....and go from there turning left at Halford and carrying on straight through to Ledesma.

This is no way for a club that is :cheery: PREMIER LEAGUE READY :cheery: to be carrying on

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If any of these new players start kissing the badge they can feck right off

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Greer - great servant, but now hopelessly exposed for pace, and which has lead to many goal conceding mistakes.
Stockdale - strings of outstanding saves in some games. Bloomers galore throughout the season costing key points. Not good enough for PL promotion hopefuls.
CMS - let the contract expire. Never cut the mustard, but tried his heart out.

The saved payroll on the above exitees, will help Hughton bring in his direct replacements.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Stockdale without a doubt. He only seems capable of one or two good performances before he costs us points. Yesterday being a great example. Not just the pass out to Ince, he should not have been beaten by either strike. And it keeps happening. A dodgy keeper always leads to a defence that lose confidence in themselves and this has manifested itself into reality this season.

See what I mean?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Looking at the ages of opponents and they seems to average two years younger than our first team selection.

Bournemouth have built a young side without the need of loan players.

I am in favour (for the Championship) of having a very strong spine of the side: Keeper, defensive midfielder (=Kayal), covering central defender, goalscoring second striker.

I think nowadays, more pace throughout the side gives an advantage. I think we just need one pacy winger/wide man on the pitch.

Players should be able to kick with both feet which rules out quite a few of our current players.

PS: I prefer Solly March to Sam Baldock and we don't need both. Both preferred to CMS.

Up until last season I though we would be better with a 23 man quality squad. Last season and Derby suffering with only two main strikers makes me think we would need 25 for a promotion push. I would plump for 24 and keep the wages back for a spare man (probably a striker) in January is we are in with a shout. Loans just to cover if we have two men injured in the same position.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Greer - great servant, but now hopelessly exposed for pace, and which has lead to many goal conceding mistakes.
Stockdale - strings of outstanding saves in some games. Bloomers galore throughout the season costing key points. Not good enough for PL promotion hopefuls.
CMS - let the contract expire. Never cut the mustard, but tried his heart out.

The saved payroll on the above exitees, will help Hughton bring in his direct replacements.

All three were not good today, yet again.

Hughton will address these failings this Summer, I hope.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here