Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Should a father give away his daughter when she gets married ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I quite like the idea of a parent 'giving away' their child, whether it be father/daughter, mother/son or any other combination. My only problem at the moment is I can't find anyone to take the buggers :wink:

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Kind of outdated marriage really....

One man (your father) gives you a woman away, to another man (your chosen partner)

Women are not property, but a she is a person in her own right.....

#metoo would have a field day.....:lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Kind of outdated marriage really....

One man (your father) gives you a woman away, to another man (your chosen partner)

Women are not property, but a she is a person in her own right.....

#metoo would have a field day.....:lolol:

That depends on how you look at it, If you feel the woman is property, then I can understand not liking it, but if you look at it, from care and protection then it becomes a loving gesture.

It's like everything else in life. it's not what happens but how you think of it.
I was proud to walk down the aisle with my Dad, and then later on, with my son.
It was also a way of honouring them with being there for me.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
My partner and I have been considering this and how it applies to our wedding when it happens - I'm considering flipping things around and having my Mum walk me down the aisle.

I'm getting married in a few months and my mum will be walking me down the aisle. I think my bridesmaids will do the father of the bride speech, as my mum is too nervous.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
That depends on how you look at it, If you feel the woman is property, then I can understand not liking it, but if you look at it, from care and protection then it becomes a loving gesture.

It's like everything else in life. it's not what happens but how you think of it.
I was proud to walk down the aisle with my Dad, and then later on, with my son.
It was also a way of honouring them with being there for me.

Historically man giveth the woman to another man.

What is wrong with a lovely lady has much love for a gentleman and decides that she would like to commit herself to him until death they do part?

Although i personally would not need a license from the state to stay committed, i can understand others wanting to formalise their relationship.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Historically man giveth the woman to another man.

What is wrong with a lovely lady has much love for a gentleman and decides that she would like to commit herself to him until death they do part?

Although i personally would not need a license from the state to stay committed, i can understand others wanting to formalise their relationship.

The giving of a woman goes back over 100 years. Now it's just a tradition.

Marriage isn't just a licence from the state (or church) nor is it just a formalisation of commitment. There are very strong legal arguments for it, especially when one spouse dies.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Walking my only daughter down the aisle in a couple of weeks. Will be one of the proudest days of my life. Nothing to do with passing property from one man to another - just a great moment in both of our lives.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Quite a few don't now. At a wedding a couple of weeks ago the B&G walked down the isle with their two young children (one of whom had the rings).

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
My daughter is 18 days old and it will be one of the highlights of my life to give her away on her Wedding day

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
A wedding that I went to once, when the vicar said who is giving away the bride, the father said, that's me, but i'm not giving her away, i'm sharing her.

I’m sure at the time it didn’t sound as creepy as how I just read it.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
What utter bullshit!

It says that the daughter is the PROPERTY of the father who passes OWNERSHIP on to another man. FFS can't we move on from this Bronze age religious anti female shit.

I gave away both my daughters. If they (And i) had thought it meant that, we would have done it differently.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I gave away both my daughters. If they (And i) had thought it meant that, we would have done it differently.

My eldest daughter (26) has told me that she doesn’t want to be given away if/when she marries “the clue’s in the name, Dad”. My youngest (21) has said “it’d be nice if you did; it’s traditional and I think you’d like to, wouldn’t you?”

I have no strong feelings either way - if they’d like me to, that’s great; if not, that’s fine too. I’m far more interested in the qualities of the bloke they choose to marry (if indeed they marry at all) than the logistics of how it gets done. Not my call, of course, but I’d hope they choose someone who is a decent human being.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
The giving of a woman goes back over 100 years. Now it's just a tradition.

Marriage isn't just a licence from the state (or church) nor is it just a formalisation of commitment. There are very strong legal arguments for it, especially when one spouse dies.

A woman doesn't need giving. She is capable of giving herself. The tradition goes back to a time when few women had any financial resources and her father passed that responsibility onto another man, her husband. In many cultures this is still the case today.

I understand what your saying about legal benefits of marriage and for many that is a good reason to marry. For others marriage is outdated. There is a case being heard this week for civil partnerships for heterosexual couples.

Of course a considerable number of couples don't marry at all. They have children and the law should provide for these families too.

Family law is outdated on both sides.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A woman doesn't need giving. She is capable of giving herself. The tradition goes back to a time when few women had any financial resources and her father passed that responsibility onto another man, her husband. In many cultures this is still the case today.

Which is why I said it is just a tradition now.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
My step daughter wants her mum to do it as she feels her dad hasn't put enough effort into her life. He left the family home when she was 2.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here