Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread 2018

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Heard this lady in seassion on 6 last night, lovely album released in Feb. Gentle.

51XSgHO9maL._AC_US218_.jpgi

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sons of Kemet Your Queen is a Reptile might just be my AotY, a bit early to say, granted. There's a bit of a buzz going on about British jazz at the moment, and not before time. My first connection with this was through Polar Bear, and their band members continue to exert an influence. Seb Rochford only appears on half the tracks on this album, with Pete Wareham making a guest appearance. Both featured in Acoustic Ladyland, which evolved into Melt Yourself Down, which is where I first came across Shabaka Hutchings, who is the key member of Kemet, which is a two drum, tuba and sax/clarinet quartet.
The music on this album is more substantial and confident, and channels mixed identity which is what unites so many of those within the British jazz scene. Give it a whirl. They're playing at Komedia in October too.

Guess you have seen this but for the benefit of others....

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...asion-moses-boyd-matthew-halsall-nubya-garcia

I like the sound of Moses Boyd.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Mattiel. One for all those who like retro pop that mixes the influence of the White Stripes along with those strong female vocalists of the 60s (Nancy Sinatra, Cher, Grace Slick et al)

The two tracks below originally came out as a double A single last summer

as lead the lead single for the self titled album which was released in the States on Burger Records toward the end of 2017. It has now been picked up by the indie label Heavenly and will be given a physical release in the UK during the summer. In the meantime the album is up on Spotify for those wishing to investigate further.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
More pop of the modern variety released last week

Confidence Man - Confident Music for Confident People
Group made up of various members of the Australian indie scene who decided to move into pop's left field with an extra dose of cynicism about the process (two of the members are deemed too ugly for pop and are covered at all times when in public)

Sofi Tukker - Treehouse
American duo who alternate vocals though his appear to have channeled a bit of Right Said Fred.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Moses Boyd is great. Check out last year's offering from Binker & Moses.

Been playing his stuff over the past few days and agree. I notice he has supported Floating Points...who I really like. It’s funny how all the different dots can join up at times.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Enjoyed Dive Deep , the 4th Album by singer/songwriter Andrew Belle

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
NSC'ers early bird thing!

As some of you enjoyed my last album 'An Awkward Bow' I thought I'd let you know that a mini album of previously unreleased tracks and remixes from the album sessions (not officially released until Monday) can be found here...

https://damselfly1.bandcamp.com/album/beneath-the-rose

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
NSC'ers early bird thing!

As some of you enjoyed my last album 'An Awkward Bow' I thought I'd let you know that a mini album of previously unreleased tracks and remixes from the album sessions (not officially released until Monday) can be found here...

https://damselfly1.bandcamp.com/album/beneath-the-rose

Gratuitous bounce for this highly listenable mini album from the amazing Damselfly.

Take an awkward bow [MENTION=3052]Hungry Joe[/MENTION]! :bowdown:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
My latest mix can be found here:https://www.mixcloud.com/The_Airing_Cupboard/mix-38/

Tracklisting:
1. Kino Mono - Supermoon
2. Audiobooks - Gothenburg
3. Lotic - Hunted
4. Christina Vantzou - Sound House
5. Marissa Nadler - A Forest
6. Jenn Champion - Owner Of A Lonely Heart
7. Carla Dal Forno - Summertime Sadness
8. Black Polygons - Aricie
9. Melody's Echo Chamber - Breathe in, Breathe Out
10. Sibille Attar - Paloma
11. Anemone - Laying In The Sand
12. Aisha Devi - Dislocation Of The Alpha
13. Sofi Tukker - Batshit
14. Mattiel - Count Your Blessings
15. Cherry Glazerr - Juicy Socks
16. Dubais & the Wolves - Blowhard
17. Mourn - Barcelona City Tour
18. Vital Idles - A Premise

Length: 60 minutes

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
My latest mix can be found here:https://www.mixcloud.com/The_Airing_Cupboard/mix-38/

Tracklisting:
1. Kino Mono - Supermoon
2. Audiobooks - Gothenburg
3. Lotic - Hunted
4. Christina Vantzou - Sound House
5. Marissa Nadler - A Forest
6. Jenn Champion - Owner Of A Lonely Heart
7. Carla Dal Forno - Summertime Sadness
8. Black Polygons - Aricie
9. Melody's Echo Chamber - Breathe in, Breathe Out
10. Sibille Attar - Paloma
11. Anemone - Laying In The Sand
12. Aisha Devi - Dislocation Of The Alpha
13. Sofi Tukker - Batshit
14. Mattiel - Count Your Blessings
15. Cherry Glazerr - Juicy Socks
16. Dubais & the Wolves - Blowhard
17. Mourn - Barcelona City Tour
18. Vital Idles - A Premise

Length: 60 minutes

Enjoying listening to this whilst packaging up and mailing out my CDs, cheers!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This had a bad review in The Guardian which worried me. However, everyone else seems really positive.

I read that interview and thought the reviewer used quite a few cheap shots. So what if Hopkins has used something from Four Tet from fifteen years ago. And maybe not many people can compose like Ryuichi Sakamoto. It doesn’t necessarily make it a bad album. Part of me thinks the reviewer was more interested in getting across his knowledge and cool reference points than actually reviewing the album.

Herr Tubthumper gives it a 4/5.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
King Goat, Brighton based doom metal band, new album Debt of Aeons, by golly it’s awesome.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here