Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Credit Card "Fraud"

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I get it sometimes with my Virgin Atlantic Amex card. In all cases if I then get out the Virgin Atlantic Visa card issued on the same account (given so you have a card if a merchant doesn't take Amex) the transaction goes through.

I have no idea why, but this has reminded me to give them a call and ask.

You only posted this so that you could brag about owning a Virgin A Amex Card. Admit it Bozza :)

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I get it sometimes with my Virgin Atlantic Amex card. In all cases if I then get out the Virgin Atlantic Visa card issued on the same account (given so you have a card if a merchant doesn't take Amex) the transaction goes through.

I have no idea why, but this has reminded me to give them a call and ask.

I worked for Amex (who hasnt) they charge service establishments a percentage for taking the Amex card some merchants dont like that percentage. Visa is highly likely to have a lower charge.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I worked for Amex (who hasnt) they charge service establishments a percentage for taking the Amex card some merchants dont like that percentage. Visa is highly likely to have a lower charge.

I know that bit, which is why a Visa on the same account is given alongside the Amex.

But I'm talking about my Amex card being declined from merchants who accept Amex and, in some cases, where I've used the very same Amex card previously.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I know that bit, which is why a Visa on the same account is given alongside the Amex.

But I'm talking about my Amex card being declined from merchants who accept Amex and, in some cases, where I've used the very same Amex card previously.

Yea its always been an issue the only thing you can do is report it

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I once had a ticket vending machine deny my transaction. I assumed that the card would be blocked if I tried to use the card again. I didn't try the card again mostly due to the embarrassment of people knowing my card got denied. I have over time realized that cards get denied all the time for many varied reasons that are no fault of the user. I called the card company to find that the card was never "turned off" per the card company and it did work the next time I tried to use it. Apparently the vending machine was programmed to deny transactions for reasons that a "live person" would not deny the transaction.

Stumpy Tim

Because Amex and Visa will have different security measures in place at any point in time ?

It's actually nothing to do with Amex or Visa - it's the responsibility of the issuer (I.e. bank). I run fraud prevention solutions for the leading vendor that detects online fraud for a lot of large banks... unfortunately Nationwide use one of the weaker vendors so these problems don't surprise me. Having said that, that company will analyse each transaction based on your previous behaviour and then provide the bank with a risk score. What the bank does with that is up to them. Hence you'll see one bank decline a transaction while another bank will let it through. You'll also find the banks slightly more risk-averse on days like Black Friday and around Christmas

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A card that anyone at all can get?

Quite. Good for points harvesting.....because a lot of my work travel is with BA I’ve got a BA Amex equivalent, tops the miles up nicely and also means I get a ‘free’ (have to pay taxes obviously) companion air ticket once a year (any destination/class) which is a huge benefit.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I don’t think establishments that accept Amex are allowed to decline an Amex card. Let Amex know and they will contact the merchant and read them the riot act. Ask me how I know this :smile:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don’t think establishments that accept Amex are allowed to decline an Amex card. Let Amex know and they will contact the merchant and read them the riot act. Ask me how I know this :smile:

Think [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] is talking about authorisation declines, not a refusal on the part of the merchant to accept it ?

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Not strictly related, but if anyone here has had their identity stolen, or at least applications for credit made in their name, be sure to register with CIFAS. They are the UKs fraud prevention agency and can add a protective marker to your credit file which effectively 'freezes' any credit applications. The credit issuer will then call you asking you to verify that you have applied for their product.

Stumpy Tim

Think [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] is talking about authorisation declines, not a refusal on the part of the merchant to accept it ?

And of course merchants are allowed to do whatever they want, so of course they can refuse particular transactions. Especially as Amex aren't involved in any fraud monitoring. In fact, the routing is that the issuer (i.e. bank) will "recommend" to the merchant not to accept a transaction if they believe it's fraud, but the merchant can still decide to accept it. If the issuers makes this recommendation however, they pass the fraud liability to the merchant so the merchants will not usually accept the risk. If fraud occurs after the issuer has said they don't believe it's fraud, the fraud liability lies with the issuer.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
And of course merchants are allowed to do whatever they want, so of course they can refuse particular transactions. Especially as Amex aren't involved in any fraud monitoring. In fact, the routing is that the issuer (i.e. bank) will "recommend" to the merchant not to accept a transaction if they believe it's fraud, but the merchant can still decide to accept it. If the issuers makes this recommendation however, they pass the fraud liability to the merchant so the merchants will not usually accept the risk. If fraud occurs after the issuer has said they don't believe it's fraud, the fraud liability lies with the issuer.

As far as I am aware if a merchant who accepts Amex refuses to accept payment by Amex card for whatever reason they will get the facility removed if they continue to refuse Amex and ask for Visa or Mastercard instead.. This is assuming the punter complains to Amex and it is brought to their attention.

Maybe an Amex worker can confirm or deny this?

Stumpy Tim

As far as I am aware if a merchant who accepts Amex refuses to accept payment by Amex card for whatever reason they will get the facility removed if they continue to refuse Amex and ask for Visa or Mastercard instead.. This is assuming the punter complains to Amex and it is brought to their attention.

Maybe an Amex worker can confirm or deny this?
Maybe if there's no fraud, but Amex cannot force a merchant to take a transaction if the issuer believes it's fraud. The merchant has the fraud liability so that would be wrong.

With no suggestion of fraud you're probably right.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Maybe if there's no fraud, but Amex cannot force a merchant to take a transaction if the issuer believes it's fraud. The merchant has the fraud liability so that would be wrong.

With no suggestion of fraud you're probably right.

Yep, I was talking generally, but merchants have numbers to call and if the card is present that's all they have to do and then put the cardholder on the phone to the credit card company and leave it to the card company to decide if it's OK to accept the card having spoken to the cardholder and done security checks. Cards over the phone or online are completely different obviously.

If a shop suggested that my card/transaction might be fraudulent I'd bloody insist they called the card company, if I was there with the card.

Stumpy Tim

Yep, I was talking generally, but merchants have numbers to call and if the card is present that's all they have to do and then put the cardholder on the phone to the credit card company and leave it to the card company to decide if it's OK to accept the card having spoken to the cardholder and done security checks. Cards over the phone or online are completely different obviously.

If a shop suggested that my card/transaction might be fraudulent I'd bloody insist they called the card company, if I was there with the card.

I was talking about online shopping, which the original post was about. Very different if it's in the store

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here