Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Which is your least favourite football stadium?

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
To be honest, it isn’t even the stadium, per se. I think fans are often the real identity of any stadium and I’ve not had good experiences of Villa fans, the atmosphere in their stadium, the surrounding area or the people that work there. And I’ve been there multiple times. Villa Park is, you’re right, a decent looking stadium, but it’s like the pretty girl everyone knows who lacks any actual personality or depth (or at least, it is for me and many others I know). But we all have our opinions and I respect your right to your own.

Loads of Villa fans at Warwick Services last weekend, mostly still going on about how they stopped us from winning the league last season. Pretty desperate if that’s all you’ve got!

theboybilly

Fair enough but if you asked 100 fans this question, excluding Birmingham fans, I doubt more than 2 or 3 max would even consider Villa Park. IMO its an example of how the traditional and modern can work together perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not much traditional about Villa Park now as the oldest stand is 1970s vintage. Knocking down the Trinity Road Stand was corporate vandalism. It's a lovely ground that echoes it's rich history. And it has the best pitch I have ever seen at a football ground

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Riverside / Stoke / Elland Road / St Andrews / Goodison / City Ground away end - all terrible in their own different ways

St Andrews the most hostile home fans
Elland Road by far the biggest dump
Winner has to be Stoke - built on top of a hill and basically a wind tunnel that doubles up as a football ground

We may have had to wait 14 years - but the Amex is so superior in just so many ways

Withdean

Nov 5, 2017
All league grounds were horrid after everyone was forced to install metal fencing. Goldstone was awful. At least on the North Stand

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Layer Road... Colchester.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Luton's ground is horrendous, and for the taller person (me) it;s a bloody good job that away fans stand. And it also has the misfortune to be in Luton.

Portsmouth, as above (except for the being in Luton bit).

The Den had the worst away end ever, with swirling blades above a massive fence, a low roof and a floodlight in the middle of it - basically it was impossible to get a view of the game from anywhere.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
never liked Northamptons when they shared the cricket ground. One of the worst away viewing ends and emptiness down one length of the pitch

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
But do you prefer their new stadium ? I only went to Layer Road once but it had a decent location near to the town Centre and was quirky and unique in design. I drive past the new stadium quite frequently and it looks a bit generic.

I put my foot through their wooden floor in their end in about 74. The new place does look a bit crappy.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
for atmosphere New Wembley. Its pants.
The only time it really gets going is against the Jocks,even then its mostly down to them anyway.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I think Fratton Park is still up there, because it's a rubbish town, a dump of a ground, and because it's full of idiots, not least the self-entitled occupants of the Bell End.

Selhurst: goes without saying, despite the barrel-load of turd polish they've applied to the outside in recent years.

Colchester might as well be on the moon, and is even more soulless than Reading, which is frankly some achievement.

However, the worst place I've been to in years is Southend. I went to the infamous first game of the 2000/01 season there, and then again the season before last when we drew them in the cup. Nothing had changed in the fourteen or fifteen years between visits, or, I in fact suspect, since about 1965. The toilets were the grimmest I've ever seen at a football stadium, the entire place is rusty and falling to bits, and many of the locals displayed a bitterness I'd assumed had long since faded, along with a distinctly 1970s attitude to diversity. Horrible place. Long may they remain in the lower tiers of the Football League.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I like Villa Park. Got to be Reading’s

I like the whole Reading thing. Nice easy parking, walk to the ground, and getaway. Worst, Preston (if driving) and Gillingham (if in the away end - worst set up imaginable, and the walk up the road is pure southern fried poverty).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think Fratton Park is still up there, because it's a rubbish town, a dump of a ground, and because it's full of idiots, not least the self-entitled occupants of the Bell End.

Selhurst: goes without saying, despite the barrel-load of turd polish they've applied to the outside in recent years.

Colchester might as well be on the moon, and is even more soulless than Reading, which is frankly some achievement.

However, the worst place I've been to in years is Southend. I went to the infamous first game of the 2000/01 season there, and then again the season before last when we drew them in the cup. Nothing had changed in the fourteen or fifteen years between visits, or, I in fact suspect, since about 1965. The toilets were the grimmest I've ever seen at a football stadium, the entire place is rusty and falling to bits, and many of the locals displayed a bitterness I'd assumed had long since faded, along with a distinctly 1970s attitude to diversity. Horrible place. Long may they remain in the lower tiers of the Football League.

I forgot about Sarfend. I was at the 2000/1 game. I think I drove with @Papa lazaru They did all that cocknew knees up music when they scored. I think we lifted Natahn Jones off them very shortly afterwards. And I found a nice pub so my memories are more positive than yours.

While it is all slowly coming back to me....I bid you the old Chesterfield stadium and town and people. The whole place was a neonazi rally on bricks. :facepalm:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here