Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ex-Players Released

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That's generous. They are very similar standard players.

Depends what you want, I guess.

Mattock is a fairly solid lower end Championship full back, with no real pace, and limited ability, who will do a job and rarely let you down.

Bennett is a skillful footballer, with incredibly quick feet, good range of passing, and decent in the air, but who will go missing defensively from time to time...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Mattock is a fairly solid lower end Championship full back, with no real pace, and limited ability, who will do a job and rarely let you down.

Bennett is a skillful footballer, with incredibly quick feet, good range of passing, and decent in the air, but who will go missing defensively from time to time...

Apart from when he's not available to play, because he cut himself shaving.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

That's an easy question to answer, l don't want either. If we are serious about aiming for the play-offs next season, we will have to do better than those two.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Why would we want Mattock when Sheff Wed have released him? If he's not good enough for them, he's not good enough for us.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I would sooner look at Konchesky, out of contract at Leicester, rather than Mattock as a 1 season fill in stop gap.

Pleeeeeze no more stop-gaps, no more reliance on loan players. If we want to get back on track, then we need to do it now, not in two or three seasons time. Another season like the one we have just had, could see us relegated.

We need to make a statement of intent, and sign several quality players. None of those mentioned so far on this thread come anywhere near fitting the bill.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Pleeeeeze no more stop-gaps, no more reliance on loan players. If we want to get back on track, then we need to do it now, not in two or three seasons time. Another season like the one we have just had, could see us relegated.

We need to make a statement of intent, and sign several quality players. None of those mentioned so far on this thread come anywhere near fitting the bill.

Sorry I read it as Mattock being for 1 season but like you would prefer a player signed on and capable of playing for 2 or even 3 seasons.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Are we in danger of viewing the past, more successful seasons with rose-tinted spectacles here?

Was Joe Mattock really that good? I had him down as very similar to Joe Bennett: likes to get forward & capable of looking dangerous when he does, but noticeably lacking in the defensive department.

Not my recollection at all. Mattock could defend very well indeed and certainly wasn't the liability that Bennett is when someone runs at him. If you ever feel desperate enough to relive the goals we conceded this year, a very high proportion of them came down the left side and were as a result of Bennett either ball watching or not being capable defensively.

However, Bennett was/is probably better going forward.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Why would we want Mattock when Sheff Wed have released him? If he's not good enough for them, he's not good enough for us.

Sheff Wed were trying to play him as a CB, which isn't his natural position. In terms of whether he's good enough for us, just because he's been discarded by them, I would say that is highly debatable.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Not my recollection at all. Mattock could defend very well indeed and certainly wasn't the liability that Bennett is when someone runs at him. If you ever feel desperate enough to relive the goals we conceded this year, a very high proportion of them came down the left side and were as a result of Bennett either ball watching or not being capable defensively.

However, Bennett was/is probably better going forward.

100% agree. Our left hand side was by far our weakest last season. I concede that Bennett is better at going forward but when the team doesn't score many goals our defence was our main focus.

In an ideal world I agree that we could do with 7/8 quality players, but will that actually materialize?

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
All a bit of a come down though.

We are now talking about signing Championship rejects. A couple of years ago it was Vicente, Ulloa and Bridge.

Surely what WE are talking about is a bunch of supporters second guessing. What matters is who Tony Bloom and Chris Hughton might be considering.
At the moment I'm not for slagging the club off, until we are seen to be signing crap or taking more bench warming loans. There are going to be a number of quality players up for grabs when promoted or relegated clubs start accessing their needs and budgets.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
One player I presume Hughton will consider is Javier Garrido. He brought him to Norwich on loan from Real Sociedad and then later signed him permanently. Has experience of playing in both the Championship and Premiership, is 30, so has a few years left and is also available on a free transfer.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
One player I presume Hughton will consider is Javier Garrido. He brought him to Norwich on loan from Real Sociedad and then later signed him permanently. Has experience of playing in both the Championship and Premiership, is 30, so has a few years left and is also available on a free transfer.

Interesting as he is a left back who CH knows and has signed previously.

Yoda

English & European
We blew it, as you describe it, not because of the Palace debacle in the play-offs but because we drew EIGHTEEN games that season. Had we just turned two of those draws into wins we would have overtaken Hull into second place and been promoted. The number of matches that we totally dominated but failed to score the decisive goal was the painful saga of that season.

Or, IF we'd beaten Hull on the opening day

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here