maxresdefault.jpg

Attachments

• B2TF-Roads.png
    B2TF-Roads.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 537

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Murray or any player could do a cruciate ligament tomorrow. We have to splash out on a goalscorer to cover the bases. This is the season, we can't let it it drift by.

'ain't that the truth.

This guy scores goals, we create chances from wide. Cardiff game was crying out for another strong striker to be put on in the second half (why CH didn't believe in Hemed last Saturday I don't know)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
CH is quoted in Times this morning: "Yes, January is important. But what we will do in January will be minimal." Not sure JR would be 'minimal'.
Smokescreen.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Cardiff game was crying out for another strong striker to be put on in the second half (why CH didn't believe in Hemed last Saturday I don't know)
So you'd have taken Baldock off?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'd be very surprised if we signed Rhodes, unless on a half season loan.

Agree with this, but why would Boro or Rhodes want him to go to us for half a season, only to be returned in the summer? The only rationale I can identify is that, in this half season, Rhodes excels, putting himself in the shop window for a transfer in the summer. But why do this if (and it's a likely if) someone (Norwich, Villa, etc) is willing to end their mutual grief in January?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Agree with this, but why would Boro or Rhodes want him to go to us for half a season, only to be returned in the summer? The only rationale I can identify is that, in this half season, Rhodes excels, putting himself in the shop window for a transfer in the summer. But why do this if (and it's a likely if) someone (Norwich, Villa, etc) is willing to end their mutual grief in January?

Middlesbrough may want to keep him next season if they go down ?

I agree though, they are more likely to want him sold.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Rewind 12 months about GM if we signed him we would be promoted then sort it out in the summer, the same applies now with Rhodes. £8m now and recoup £6m in the summer when it is obvious he isnt good enough for The Premier.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Middlesbrough may want to keep him next season if they go down ?

I agree though, they are more likely to want him sold.

By Middlesborough, I would read Steve Gibson, rather than Karanka who won't still be with them if they go down, in all likelihood.
I doubt they will go down. The bottom half to a third of the PL doesn't look too strong to me, several look like they deserve relegation, but Swansea, Sunderland and Hull are 'over'-performing in that respect.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Last 15-20 minutes yes. That was the period after Knockaert came on when Cardiff went deep, game got compressed, we had a succession of corners and free kicks into the box, and I think Hemed would have been dangerous

Go on, tell me I'm wrong :)
No I'm not sure you're wrong, I can see the benefit of having Hemed there for crosses as the game got compressed.

Presumably Chris disagrees with you though, since he didn't do it. Maybe Baldock's goal the other day meant Chris felt he'd be more likely to take a chance if the ball came to the edge of the area - maybe Hemed hasn't been so clinical in training recently, I don't know.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
seem to remember an ex-Blackburn player (Dunn?) comment on how good he was as a striker before implying that his work rate and other aspects to his play wasn't that good. Found it unusual at the time because you don't often have players dishing out anything other than bland back-slapping statements.

I think he'd do well in a 442, but if he's upfront on his own he'll need others to do his running as he doesn't seem the most dynamic of players.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Rewind 12 months about GM if we signed him we would be promoted then sort it out in the summer, the same applies now with Rhodes. £8m now and recoup £6m in the summer when it is obvious he isnt good enough for The Premier.

But it is a completely different situation. We really needed an alternative target man last January (although we wouldn't have known that Zamora would be out for most of the rest of the season). This season we have two target men. What we lack is pace up front and, for all his qualities in the Championship, Rhodes does not provide that. He also didn't exactly set the world alight at Middlesbrough last season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
But it is a completely different situation. We really needed an alternative target man last January (although we wouldn't have known that Zamora would be out for most of the rest of the season). This season we have two target men. What we lack is pace up front and, for all his qualities in the Championship, Rhodes does not provide that. He also didn't exactly set the world alight at Middlesbrough last season.[/QUOTE]

He couldnt do much more than score vital goals which got them the points for promotion. That is when you need a player like him and as Saturday showed he could have been the difference between 1 and 3 points.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
But it is a completely different situation. We really needed an alternative target man last January (although we wouldn't have known that Zamora would be out for most of the rest of the season). This season we have two target men. What we lack is pace up front and, for all his qualities in the Championship, Rhodes does not provide that. He also didn't exactly set the world alight at Middlesbrough last season.[/QUOTE]

He couldnt do much more than score vital goals which got them the points for promotion. That is when you need a player like him and as Saturday showed he could have been the difference between 1 and 3 points.

There weren't any misses on Saturday that left me thinking 'Blimey, someone like Rhodes would've banged that in'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here