Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Elderly drivers.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
As do the majority of older drivers.

Except that elderly drivers cause a significantly higher proportion of accidents than other road users. Why shouldn't they all have their licences taken away from them?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I'm not one for road rage nor can I claim to be the World's best driver. Are some Elderly drivers stupid or just Pig ignorant? The other day I was parking in the car park of a well known supermarket in Uckfield, the expensive one at the bottom of the high street as I don't go to cheap ones, and an elderly driver parked next to me. To my horror the Old Git proceeded to open his door onto the side of my car. I got out of my car to ask him to be more careful. He started to go on about how his car was big and that he needed to open the door as wide as possible as he found it difficult getting in and out. Not a word of apology. This morning I was about to reverse into a parking space in Heathfield, after giving plenty of warning by using my indicator. I checked my rear view mirror as one should. Some stupid Old Git pulled upright behind me. I got out of my car and asked him politely if he was paying attention? He just sat there with a total blank expression on his face. He eventually reversed back so I was able to park.

Heaven forbid that you would ever go to a cheap supermarket! I know, send all the old gits to Aldi or Lidl and then there would be plenty of space for the likes of you in the expensive shop!
Problem solved!:lolol:

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
Blimey. I'd always taken it as gospel that women were safer drivers. But if these are facts, men must be much safer (on average) as they drive more than twice as many miles per anum?

From your link, no they don't. It shows men drive 64% of all miles,women drive 36% (assuming equal numbers of men and women)
So pretty much the same in terms of accident rate

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Except that elderly drivers cause a significantly higher proportion of accidents than other road users. Why shouldn't they all have their licences taken away from them?
False news Husty.
Figures also show that 46 drivers aged 16 to 19 died in an accident, while 173 drivers aged between 20 and 29 involved in an accident died. That compared with 59 deaths in drivers aged between 70 and 79 involved in an accident, and 52 over the age of 80.23 Sep 2013

Research shows that drivers aged 60 or over are no more likely to be involved in crashes than other drivers, although crash involvement rates increase from age 80 [5]. Drivers aged 60-69 actually have less than half the crash rate than drivers aged 20-29 [6]. This is likely to be because older drivers tend to be far less likely to take risks such as driving too fast or while distracted.

I'm 71 and my motorcyle insurance is cheaper than for the car.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
From your link, no they don't. It shows men drive 64% of all miles,women drive 36% (assuming equal numbers of men and women)
So pretty much the same in terms of accident rate

Actually, yes, you're right. That seems quite different to what we're always told though?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The retired drive just just a third to a half of the miles driven by full time workers. Obviously the big reason behind lower insurance premiums for the elderly. Spending a third of the time on the road = inherently a lower risk.

IMG_2529.PNG

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Yes, without ever had any points, a speeding ticket (because I've never been caught) and driven all over the country, and abroad. I also passed my test first time.

I also have never had any points, no speeding fines (although I spent a few weeks worrying one would arrive once) only ever had a parking ticket once which was successfully appealed. I passed second time though and they do say all the best drivers pass second time around. Still have my pink license with no photo. :angel:

Unforntunatey driving abroad is a different story, I was just lucky the other drivers saw fit to get out of my way.:rolleyes:

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
I once parked at the bottom end car park at Asda in Hollingbury at seven in the morning - nobody within fifty car spaces of my little Ford Focus.
Twenty minutes later when I came back I had two cars parked either side of me despite the empty car park.
They were parked less than a foot from either side of my car doors fffsake!
I had to squeeze into my passenger door to get in :moo:

I put matchsticks in their front tyre air valves to teach them a lesson :ohmy:

I tell you this as at 61 I'm considered an elderly Old Git driver :thumbsup:

:lolol: My Mum had a particular pet hate of this kind of parking.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Apart from the problem of lack of driving examiners I don’t think a full driving test is necessary for the elderly - I do however think that an eye test and reaction test at least every 5 years at the age of 70 and above would be sensible - difficult to argue with the result if you fail.

I’ll be 70 next year and still drive over 12,000 miles a year. Will be sad to say goodbye to my paper licence.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I also have never had any points, no speeding fines (although I spent a few weeks worrying one would arrive once) only ever had a parking ticket once which was successfully appealed. I passed second time though and they do say all the best drivers pass second time around. Still have my pink license with no photo. :angel:

Unforntunatey driving abroad is a different story, I was just lucky the other drivers saw fit to get out of my way.:rolleyes:

I have a photo licence because I moved in 2004, and had to send off my licence for a change of address.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It is shit drivers that I object to. The one I followed through town at 20 mph, who pulled out on to the A2 then stopped. I rear-ended her (technically and legally my fault). She said 'that's the third time that's happened to me recently'. I should have said 'I'm not surprised, you useless mad git!' but took pity.

And the other recent episode in a supermarket car park (still not resolved) where a young driver drove slo mo into me, with absolutely no explanation other than I was in her way. There appears to be some fraud here because the driver can't be traced (I won't bore you with it).

And the little shit who coined the entire side of Mrs T's car last week......

And of course the twats who do 50 round 30 mph limited small streets in Faversham, and don't signal when turning, and block egress at T junctions with tail to tail traffic in the top part of the T.....

Ignorant selfish twats who, no doubt, I'd block if they were on NSC becuse of ther psychopathic (I use the word advisedly) overweening determination to pursue what they see as their immediate self interest, come what may.

:lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
False news Husty.
Figures also show that 46 drivers aged 16 to 19 died in an accident, while 173 drivers aged between 20 and 29 involved in an accident died. That compared with 59 deaths in drivers aged between 70 and 79 involved in an accident, and 52 over the age of 80.23 Sep 2013

Research shows that drivers aged 60 or over are no more likely to be involved in crashes than other drivers, although crash involvement rates increase from age 80 [5]. Drivers aged 60-69 actually have less than half the crash rate than drivers aged 20-29 [6]. This is likely to be because older drivers tend to be far less likely to take risks such as driving too fast or while distracted.

I'm 71 and my motorcyle insurance is cheaper than for the car.

I treat every other driver on the road as a complete dickhead, it’s all about the experience of finding so many are, hence us oldies tend to be more cautious and less likely to make dangerous overtaking moves or macho acceleration in built up busy zones. Generally I drive quite quickly in daylight but it’s driving Miss Daisy in the dark I admit.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I once parked at the bottom end car park at Asda in Hollingbury at seven in the morning - nobody within fifty car spaces of my little Ford Focus.
Twenty minutes later when I came back I had two cars parked either side of me despite the empty car park.
They were parked less than a foot from either side of my car doors fffsake!
I had to squeeze into my passenger door to get in :moo:

I put matchsticks in their front tyre air valves to teach them a lesson :ohmy:

I tell you this as at 61 I'm considered an elderly Old Git driver :thumbsup:

This sort of thing happens to me, I hate car parks especially at Supermarkets.
I avoid visiting them at busy times and always park away from other cars.

Don't start me on drivers parking so close to the back of my van I can't open the doors. FFS :rant:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here