Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do Americans think the whole world does thanks giving?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can't be bothered reading the whole thread but THANKSGIVING WAS BROUGHT TO AMERICA BY THE PILGRIM FATHERS WHO WERE ENGLISH FROM LINCOLNSHIRE.

message ends. Those bloody English with their bloody traditions forcing it on the world.

This. It is a Yank tradition started by the English immigrants or refugees* as some might call them.

*ducks

Exactly.

As usual John Oliver hits the nail on the head, I'm loving the first line:-

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
I think we should be "giving thanks" to commemorate getting rid of that pious bunch of f**kwits!
It will also give our poor turkey farmers two bites of the cherry instead of just one. :)

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I guess [MENTION=12090]Programme_Seller[/MENTION] has now realised that he's the only one asked this by Americans.

You're not American are you [MENTION=12090]Programme_Seller[/MENTION] ? Just thought I'd ask.

No :) I'm Brighton born & Bred :thumbsup:

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Whenever you speak to an American at this time of year they always ask
"what are you doing for thanks giving this year"

And they seem genuinely surprised when you tell them same as last year, fu@k all

They don't get it that the whole world does not celebrate their tradition.

Sorry I haven't read the rest of the thread, but, I have American friends, and work with/have worked with a fair few. Not ONCE have they ever asked me what I am doing for Thanksgiving.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Sorry I haven't read the rest of the thread, but, I have American friends, and work with/have worked with a fair few. Not ONCE have they ever asked me what I am doing for Thanksgiving.

This - but I did enjoy a fantastic Thanksgiving dinner at an American's colleagues place last weekend, little early I appreciate but we're running on Paris time so we don't have today off to celebrate.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Yeah, i mean't their Happy Winter Festival, should have stated the same with Harvest Festival, same theory applies, no problem. Our traditions are a lot older than the American ones, up to them if they want to name them different . :)

Remarkable. I genuinely think this is the first time I have EVER seen you comment on something that wasn't race/EU/refugee/left vs right stuff. It's nice to know your level of knowledge is consistent on all subjects.

Happy Winterfest.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
well it was started by British people

Who had arrived in the US in the early 17th century and decided to have a Thanksgiving after a year. When was the last time most people in Britain celebrated Thanksgiving? Would that be never?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Who had arrived in the US in the early 17th century and decided to have a Thanksgiving after a year. When was the last time most people in Britain celebrated Thanksgiving? Would that be never?
Probably, and thats the same amount of times 99.9% of british people have been asked if they are, or decided to, celebrate it.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
They call it thanksgiving i call it Christmas. My cards will say Merry Christmas etc. They have their traditions and i shall stick with mine, no problem.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Major_misunderstanding.png
    Major_misunderstanding.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 340

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Chipping in with everyone else to say I've never been asked by an American what I'm doing for Thanksgiving, even when I've asked them what they're up to.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
If you don’t like Americans fair enough – but don’t make ridiculous generalisations and stereotypes. I actually like Thanksgiving – it's very much about families and friends and enjoying a good meal and each other’s company.

Just wondering where the stereotyping bit is ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Just wondering where the stereotyping bit is ?

I'm guessing the opening line of the first post in this thread by the OP.

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving!!

What you all doing for it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here