Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has the cooking of dinner become all a bit sproncey?

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Nibble I blame celebrity chefs in the 1990's - Rhodes, Floyd and Oliver planting the seeds of culinary ponciness onto the general public. Plagues on all the houses of the celebrity chefs....

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Nibble I blame celebrity chefs in the 1990's - Rhodes, Floyd and Oliver planting the seeds of culinary ponciness onto the general public. Plagues on all the houses of the celebrity chefs....

This is true. My brother thinks he's a chef. One rarely gets fed before 11pm when he's cooking, he uses every pot and pan in the house and never cleans up after using everything in the larder. You're served up a plate of spaghetti bolognese but by the look of the kitchen you'd think he had been cooking a 7 course wedding feast for the Maharaja of Pookajee.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In a restaurant fine, I expect some extra care over my meal, at a mates house for a spot of dinner it's tragically boring and it's gone too far.
If a mate has gone to a lot of effort to make something they think you'll like, can't you just be grateful?

she doesnt have it very often as she only has it under duress. She does however like the gravy my liver gives.
TMI grandad, TMI :sick:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If a mate has gone to a lot of effort to make something they think you'll like, can't you just be grateful?

TMI grandad, TMI :sick:

Well. of course I acted grateful. I am hardly going to complain at the time. I did make a mental note not to accept her dinner invites again. Anyway, y'all focussing in the wrong aspect. Has cooking in general become a bit of a fussy affair?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Agree with that as well as the relentless rise in prosperity leading to an ever expanding middle class (despite many still claiming to be working class). All the houses except Nigella !

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
..... in between jobs whilst he flees the country because the nasty party won :wink:

And what amazing career is it that you have might I ask?

All a a bit out of date seeing as I gave up acting over 3 years ago.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I think Nipple has it the wrong way around, Resteraunts are disappearing up their backsides,I want my food on a plate not a chopping board for starters.

With people it food fetishism, super foods, gluten free and all that clap trap. In fact I feel a frothing rant comming on, I may stat a thread.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Anyway, y'all focussing in the wrong aspect.
Oh yes, sorry.

Has cooking in general become a bit of a fussy affair?
No. If someone else wants to spend ages cooking with saffron infused rosewater that's fine by me. If they want to do something simple, that's fine with me too.

I'm available as a dinner guest Monday to Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and can be relied upon to be punctual, correct you on your grammar and highlight any inaccuracies you state throughout the course of a fascinating evening.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Well. of course I acted grateful. I am hardly going to complain at the time. I did make a mental note not to accept her dinner invites again. Anyway, y'all focussing in the wrong aspect. Has cooking in general become a bit of a fussy affair?

True. Never piss off the chef....

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Oh yes, sorry.

No. If someone else wants to spend ages cooking with saffron infused rosewater that's fine by me. If they want to do something simple, that's fine with me too.

I'm available as a dinner guest Monday to Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and can be relied upon to be punctual, correct you on your grammar and highlight any inaccuracies you state throughout the course of a fascinating evening.

Perfect. I'll expect you at 5pm on Thursday. It's Thursday so we'll be having 'oops. You'll be gone by 6 as I eat my stewed pears in front of Eggheads, in solitude. Dress smart.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003

Right issue but wrong targets. Rhodes and Floydd at least didn't fart about and turned out good basic fare. its the prats on programmes like the great british menu and Gordon bloody Ramsey and Blumentwat who are the major culprits.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I like a well cooked plate of grub as much as anyone but it seems these days everyone imagines themselves as a Michelin starred chef. They have to describe the process, trying to impress with the ingredients they e sourced from the limbless albinos of the Himalayas, constantly asking you as you eat what you think about this aspect of the meal or that aspect of the meal. People poncing about with roast potatoes, the traditional roast or making out a plate of pasta is anything other than Italian peasant food.

"This saffron infused rose water really brings out the earthy quality of the lamb"

Steak. Every ***** got an opinion. It's the easiest thing in the world to cook yet we are subjected to reams of info about it pre-cooking regime, it's time in the pan and it's resting procedure. I don't care if Fu Man Choo cooked it with his feet, give it here.

In a restaurant fine, I expect some extra care over my meal, at a mates house for a spot of dinner it's tragically boring and it's gone too far.

So basically you've got friends you don't really like? That's what I took from that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here