Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Argus: "Albion won't be rushed as they focus on getting right man as manager"

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I may have misread your post. I read it to mean that you work out what it would cost if you went down, and pay them that - but that's not what you meant, is it?

No sorry if it came across that way but I just meant you pay an amount that is proportional to what going down would cost us

I bet Pulis demanded a kings ransom but it was money well spent and I beth they would love the opportunity to pay him again!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No sorry if it came across that way but I just meant you pay an amount that is proportional to what going down would cost us
No it was my mistake, I read 'based on' as 'equal to', which was a bit daft. I agree that you need to weigh the cost of relegation in your decisions (at least Palace should), but it's different with us as I assume we'll spend up to the limit of FFP anyway, so the question is not how much to spend, but how to spend it all - how much to the next manager, and how much on players in January.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
Im not that bothered about the article in the argus today, as for all we know the club are waiting for a reply from a manager or something. But what I am bothered about, is how it seems the club have really been caught off guard about sami's resignation. Why wasn't the club ready for when sami left his post ?. The club should of surly been thinking of sacking him as the club was wel underperforming.
The club really should of got rid back in october when the club could of hand picked a number of top managers. But it does seem we wanted to back sami despite the fact he looked totaly clueless and out of his depth.
id love to spend a few minutes inside blooms brain to se what he's thinking. Although he does imo, seem to be doing all the right things at lastby getting rid of burk and looking for a proven manager at this level.
Is it to late though ? A few weeks ago there was a lot of good managers sitting and waiting for a job to come available. Now , theres more jobs opening up higher up the pecking order.
So for me at least im left wondering, what if we sacked sami sooner.....

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think we need to rush a bit as the window " Slams Open " in January and we don't want to miss the bus.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Be nice to think that TB's keeping any announcement quiet until he and whoever has watched this evenings game at Fulham, and shake hands on the appointment afterwards. That may make a pleasant read over the cornflakes tomorrow morning.

Y Ddraig Goch

Sep 28, 2011
Im not that bothered about the article in the argus today, as for all we know the club are waiting for a reply from a manager or something. But what I am bothered about, is how it seems the club have really been caught off guard about sami's resignation. Why wasn't the club ready for when sami left his post ?. The club should of surly been thinking of sacking him as the club was wel underperforming.
The club really should of got rid back in october when the club could of hand picked a number of top managers. But it does seem we wanted to back sami despite the fact he looked totaly clueless and out of his depth.
id love to spend a few minutes inside blooms brain to se what he's thinking. Although he does imo, seem to be doing all the right things at lastby getting rid of burk and looking for a proven manager at this level.
Is it to late though ? A few weeks ago there was a lot of good managers sitting and waiting for a job to come available. Now , theres more jobs opening up higher up the pecking order.
So for me at least im left wondering, what if we sacked sami sooner.....

Our problems are not dissimilar. Both clubs generally an attractive proposition but being in the relegation zone suddenly means that any potential manager with credibility will want certain assurance.
If you think that you would have snapped up a "Premier League" manager pre the current merry go round then you are kidding yourself. You would, like us, generally be looking at either an up and coming manager or someone with a history of failure. We may have just got lucky with Pardew but if there wasn't a Palace connection would it have happened?

Hughton, who I happen to like is a funny one and probably viewed more of a failure than success. Particularly he hasn't beem a manager for that long. I think he would be a good fit for you, he needs to establish his credentials, you need a drastic upturn in fortune. The next few months for both clubs should prove interesting.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
Our problems are not dissimilar. Both clubs generally an attractive proposition but being in the relegation zone suddenly means that any potential manager with credibility will want certain assurance.
If you think that you would have snapped up a "Premier League" manager pre the current merry go round then you are kidding yourself. You would, like us, generally be looking at either an up and coming manager or someone with a history of failure. We may have just got lucky with Pardew but if there wasn't a Palace connection would it have happened?
:wink:
Hughton, who I happen to like is a funny one and probably viewed more of a failure than success. Particularly he hasn't beem a manager for that long. I think he would be a good fit for you, he needs to establish his credentials, you need a drastic upturn in fortune. The next few months for both clubs should prove interesting.

Lets just hope it works out for us both and were playing in the same devision next season.

SheffieldSeagulls

Dec 6, 2014
Having been involved in recruitment processes as a school governor as well as in work and other places, the strongest candidates on paper often turn out to be the weakest at interview. Obviously a football manager's record is much more in the public eye, but however good it might be, if mr Bloom and mr Barber meet him and think "I couldn't work with this bloke", and then they talk to everyone else who met him and they all say they didn't like him, he would not be the right person to appoint.

But as TB has repeatedly shown, he does not haver to work with the manager/coach/callitwhatyoulike. What really matters is whether the new guy can work within the limitations prescribed by TB. Somebody as openly outspoken and not affraid to ruffle feathers such as Tony P is obviously not going to be TB's favourite, but he might just be able to make a strengthened squad do what TB wants to achieve. I really cannot see that even TB wants us back in L1 - unless he wants to sell the club at a loss?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Don't like the sound of this.

Implication from the article is that they have been biffed out by Pulis so they are falling back on the "not be rushed" story - this after saying someone needs to be in place quickly earlier in the week.

This, coupled with the Barber quotes last week make me think its going to be Jones......

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
But as TB has repeatedly shown, he does not haver to work with the manager/coach/callitwhatyoulike. What really matters is whether the new guy can work within the limitations prescribed by TB. Somebody as openly outspoken and not affraid to ruffle feathers such as Tony P is obviously not going to be TB's favourite, but he might just be able to make a strengthened squad do what TB wants to achieve. I really cannot see that even TB wants us back in L1 - unless he wants to sell the club at a loss?

I hear what you are saying, but there needs to be some sort of decent relationship between chairman and manager. Otherwise, it wouldn't last long in my view.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings

Andy Naylors last couple of tweets and The fact that I think Pulis was our main target and IMO he has turned us down, now we have probably moved on to Hughton and any manager would need time to prepare for the cup game, add to that the window opens in a few days and some of the loan players have been recalled. That would suggest that the new man will need to be in place sooner rather then later, so that would mean announcing the manager tomorrow.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Andy Naylors last couple of tweets and The fact that I think Pulis was our main target and IMO he has turned us down, now we have probably moved on to Hughton and any manager would need time to prepare for the cup game, add to that the window opens in a few days and some of the loan players have been recalled. That would suggest that the new man will need to be in place sooner rather then later, so that would mean announcing the manager tomorrow.

ah 2 + 2 = 4 :wink:

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
ah 2 + 2 = 4 :wink:

Plus law of averages, do not think the club can afford to leave it any longer. The manager merry go round has started and as much as Jones has done a good job, experience is needed at this time. 4 loan players going back and a cup game, to quote Elvis it's now or never.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Plus law of averages, do not think the club can afford to leave it any longer. The manager merry go round has started and as much as Jones has done a good job, experience is needed at this time. 4 loan players going back and a cup game, to quote Elvis it's now or never.

Agree with everything you say, its not the time for a gamble on a novice, even though he's done splendidly. Still reckon it may be a few days though yet..... we'll know soon enough !

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Agree with everything you say, its not the time for a gamble on a novice, even though he's done splendidly. Still reckon it may be a few days though yet..... we'll know soon enough !

Would not be so sure, West Brom are now looking for a new Manager. We play in the cup on Saturday, that's only 5 days. Announce the manager tomorrow and he starts on Wednesday by meeting the players, takes first training session on Thursday to prepare for Saturday and to look at what players he will need as the window opens.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The players will be off Tuesday so I expect an announcement either late Tuesday afternoon or to greet them at the training ground Wednesday morning. TB may have points to discuss with NJ about him staying with the new man and in what capacity before any announcement is made.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here