Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton: Derision from Norwich Fans

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
CH has obviously improved things left by the hapless SH but I have my concerns.

The away form is dire and we don't seem to go out to win games, a 0-0 seems to be the sole ambition.

At home we play with one up front and often 2 wiingers on the bench yet we need pace & width. It seems he has no confidence in his attacking players and that must affect their form too.

We are virtually safe now so let's give it a go and play with some flair.I'd rather lose 3-4 than 0-1.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
The negative away set up rings true and is a concern based on this year. I haven't seen many but away at Cardiff and Reading were both dire. Home performances are much better. Concerned that he thinks Best is an asset. Let's see what the summer and the new season brings.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
CH has obviously improved things left by the hapless SH but I have my concerns.

The away form is dire and we don't seem to go out to win games, a 0-0 seems to be the sole ambition.

At home we play with one up front and often 2 wiingers on the bench yet we need pace & width. It seems he has no confidence in his attacking players and that must affect their form too.

We are virtually safe now so let's give it a go and play with some flair.I'd rather lose 3-4 than 0-1.
Away form is dire?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
An easy target. Nothing to do with the players not being up to it.

What about the £120 million he earned them by taking them to 11th in his first season in Premiership. Also when they sacked them he was 5 points clear of the bottom 3 with only 5 games to go. Perhaps if they stuck with him they wouldn't even be in this division. They might still be in the Premiership.

Norwich fans are fickle. They think they are better than they are . They had the smallest budget in the Premiership but the fans think they should be in the top 10 of the Premiership. They are deluded

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Ha his tactics of ultra defence and useless subs were fine against the top teams, the problem was that it was often the same against the other 10 or so relegation candidates. He certainly never kept us up 'against the odds' given we weren't odds on to go down before the previous season. And a bit harsh to suggest his successor relegated us when on the back of 6 straight away defeats we'd have had to have taken at least 4 points from Fulham away then Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal for a chance of finishing above WBA. 5 teams who had all won the reverse fixture earlier in the season. Sunderland who were bottom and 7 points behind when Hughton went finished 5 clear of us.

Norwich were never on the back of 6 straight defeats under Hughton. They beat Sunderland 2 weeks before they lost to WBA when he was sacked. Norwich fans distort the truth 2 suit themselves. David Nally says they sacked them because they were on a run of 4 points from the last 6 games which was relegation form. However that same run if you had taken the last 7 games it was actually a run of 7 points from the last 7 games which isn't relegation form so they pick the stats which makes a good defence for themselves.

Norwich Board took Norwich down by their decision to sack Hughton, not Chris Hughton. His successor took 1 point from 18......I rest my case. They would have stayed up with 4 from 18

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
What about the £120 million he earned them by taking them to 11th in his first season in Premiership. Also when they sacked them he was 5 points clear of the bottom 3 with only 5 games to go. Perhaps if they stuck with him they wouldn't even be in this division. They might still be in the Premiership.

Norwich fans are fickle. They think they are better than they are . They had the smallest budget in the Premiership but the fans think they should be in the top 10 of the Premiership. They are deluded

it was 46 million and that money went mainly on player bonuses, wages for staying up and new signings who were pretty poor. as already stated, yes we were 5 points clear, but had to go to fulham on the back of 6 straight away defeats who were 5 behind us and had beaten us at home. then it was 4 of the top clubs. finishing above fulham wasn't enough anyway because sunderland who were bottom and 7 points adrift had 3 games in hand and won 4 of their last 5 to finish 5 clear of us with way better GD. i doubt even mourinho could have kept us up the way things panned out with sunderland finishing on fire.

being unhappy with 51 points from the last 54 games playing nauseating football isn't fickle imo, nor did we have the smallest budget in the league. teams like palace, wba and sunderland have survived in recent seasons because they've known when to change the manager and stop the slide.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
Norwich were never on the back of 6 straight defeats under Hughton. They beat Sunderland 2 weeks before they lost to WBA when he was sacked. Norwich fans distort the truth 2 suit themselves. David Nally says they sacked them because they were on a run of 4 points from the last 6 games which was relegation form. However that same run if you had taken the last 7 games it was actually a run of 7 points from the last 7 games which isn't relegation form so they pick the stats which makes a good defence for themselves.

Norwich Board took Norwich down by their decision to sack Hughton, not Chris Hughton. His successor took 1 point from 18......I rest my case. They would have stayed up with 4 from 18

i said 6 straight AWAY defeats. our final winnable game was at fulham before the horrific final 4 games. 4 from 15 may have been enough but wba lost at home to stoke final day knowing they were safe, and might have been a different story had it mattered. it was 1 point from 15, please tell me where the minimum 4 were going to come from against teams we'd taken 0 from 15 from earlier in the season...

I do agree the Norwich board took us down. By not acting far earlier, and waiting until the task was virtually impossible for anyone.

Last edited:

Mark Jones

Jan 28, 2011

Absolutel bollocks!... You are right in saying the board took us down, but it was because they didn't sack him before Christmas. I think the 11th place finish was the worst thing to happen to us! We were only safe after the penultimate game of the season & then climbed the table on the last game thanks to favorable results & beating a Man City team already on the beach. Had we have lost that game & finished 17th he wouldn't have been given the grace he was & maybe we'd still be there, who knows.
I didn't enjoy going to Carrow Road for most of his 2 years because of his dour, negative football & neither did many other season ticket holders judging by the oppressed atmosphere which is only now beginning to recover!

My aplogies, I had almost forgotten how angry he made me feel!!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
After yesterday you couldn't very well disagree. That was a performance and set up straight out of the Hyypia catalogue!

Make no mistake, if Hyypia had been in charge we'd have been 2-0 down at half-time and facing a second half shoeing.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
Well, Sunderland managed it by sticking with Poyet didn't they?

yeah but he wasn't exactly failing for them after taking over when they had 1 point from 7 games. had an almost identical points per game record as hughton with 5 games remaining, but 3 of those were at home to cardiff, wba and swansea. a far easier run in than what we had left. had we been where we were and had sunderland's run in, hughton wouldn't have been sacked.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
i said 6 straight AWAY defeats. our final winnable game was at fulham before the horrific final 4 games. 4 from 15 may have been enough but wba lost at home to stoke final day knowing they were safe, and might have been a different story had it mattered. it was 1 point from 15, please tell me where the minimum 4 were going to come from against teams we'd taken 0 from 15 from earlier in the season...

I do agree the Norwich board took us down. By not acting far earlier, and waiting until the task was virtually impossible for anyone.

OK 1 point from 15 I stand corrected but if you thought Fulham was the only winnable game from the final point then what is the point of even being in the Permiership, you might as well not turning up against the teams in the top 8 if you have that attitude. Norwich had already beaten Arsenal and Man Utd in the previous season under CH and Man Utd were hardly difficult to beat last year. The points were still there to be played for.

Norwich have a great squad and I like Norwich a lot. His signings of Snodgrass, Howson, Redmond, Olsson, Fer and Bassong are all good signings. Van Wolfswinkel maybe not. I hope Norwich go up because it is a good squad of players. In fact it was a Hughton signing in Redmond that created Norwich's only clear cut chance yesterday which won the game.

If Norwich don't go up and are still in the Championship next year then I think you will see a very different game between Norwich and Brighton next year when the squads will be more evenly matched because Brighton will build in the summer and Norwich could potentially lose some of their big Premiership wage earners.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Norwich fans have unrealistic expectations as yoyoing between the Championship and Premier League is their level. They also say Hughton was too defensive but based on yesterday's evidence they aren't exactly attacking or entertaining this season.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
OK 1 point from 15 I stand corrected but if you thought Fulham was the only winnable game from the final point then what is the point of even being in the Permiership, you might as well not turning up against the teams in the top 8 if you have that attitude. Norwich had already beaten Arsenal and Man Utd in the previous season under CH and Man Utd were hardly difficult to beat last year. The points were still there to be played for.

Norwich have a great squad and I like Norwich a lot. His signings of Snodgrass, Howson, Redmond, Olsson, Fer and Bassong are all good signings. Van Wolfswinkel maybe not. I hope Norwich go up because it is a good squad of players. In fact it was a Hughton signing in Redmond that created Norwich's only clear cut chance yesterday which won the game.

If Norwich don't go up and are still in the Championship next year then I think you will see a very different game between Norwich and Brighton next year when the squads will be more evenly matched because Brighton will build in the summer and Norwich could potentially lose some of their big Premiership wage earners.

that's the problem with the prem, so many games you expect to lose and will get hammered. man u away a different animal and arsenal had won 4 on the spin. redmond did great yesterday but been very average for a while which is why he was on the bench but was just what we needed yesterday. we still have parachute payments for a couple more seasons and are debt free now so not a total disaster if we miss out this season.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
Norwich fans have unrealistic expectations as yoyoing between the Championship and Premier League is their level. They also say Hughton was too defensive but based on yesterday's evidence they aren't exactly attacking or entertaining this season.

we definitely struggled to break you down but been a similar story against more defensive minded teams this season. prefer teams coming at us which might explain why our away record is better than at home. and defensively we often look dodgy which was the case yesterday.

Mark Jones

Jan 28, 2011

Have you seen our results /goal difference?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
we definitely struggled to break you down but been a similar story against more defensive minded teams this season. prefer teams coming at us which might explain why our away record is better than at home. and defensively we often look dodgy which was the case yesterday.

A 5 man midfield Norwich put out you would struggle. I thought you had Malky Mackay in charge for a moment

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
I saw that you picked 5 central midfielders and 1 striker yesterday against a struggling side. If Hughton was still with he'd be doing just as good a job as Neil.

alex neil has completely turned the club around. 11 wins from 16 games on the back of 5 wins from from the 16 before he was appointed. and he won 12 of his 20 games with hamilton who haven't won any of the 11 games since he left. so must have something about him. if we go up, we could lose him within a season. had never heard of the bloke before we appointed him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here