Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Watford sack Silva

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Newcastle, another point in case. It isn't about ruthlessness, as you point out, three have to go down, but I don't for one minute buy the fact that sacking your manager keeps you up.

It's obviously not an absolute truth that it does. But for that long list of clubs, it appears to have worked in many past seasons.

I'm NOT an advocate of sacking CH. A personal view - our situation was singularly caused by the club failing to sign strikers and pacey players of top flight quality last summer. He's working with Championship players in the main.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
3 obviously must drop.

Norwich and Hull are smaller clubs, without mega rich owners, so will inevitably always drop.

Sunderland and Villa were basket cases, with internal strife for many years and hated owners.

Mboro, like Brighton, failed to buy top flight quality players.

Whereas WBA, Stoke, Southampton, Watford, Leicester, Palace, Everton, West Ham (and Bmuff without managerial changes), all know exactly what to do to stay up:
1. Have top flight quality players, even it costs.
2. Ruthlessly sacks managers.
The formula works. Many on NSC may hate a couple of those clubs, but they always stay up, minting £100m of TV money year after year. Making them financially viable entities.

It works for a few years, But when they drop, they stay dropped (Bolton, Wigan, Charlton, Ipswich). And all that effort to stay up inevitably counts for nought because they spend all their money on the squad and very little on becoming a long-term viable entity, investing in infrastructure and so on. Saints are erroneous in your list, they don't spend fortunes on players. Nor do they repeatedly get rid of managers (Pochettino and Koeman walked out on them). They are working longer-term

I prefer the Bloom model. And we will see where it ends up 10 years from now

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What about Sunderland who sacked their manager twice a season but eventually succumbed? Ditto Hull, Norwich. When multiple sacking go wrong your club can become a basket case. You don't always need to sack the manager - just look at Sean Dyche. I think a big factor is the group of players at the club and Burnley have got a grounded bunch.

Watford aren't looking to bin off Richardson, even though it's obvious he's had his head turned too.

Cocky Richarlison was always going to leave in summer.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It's obviously not an absolute truth that it does. But for that long list of clubs, it appears to have worked in many past seasons.

I'm NOT an advocate of sacking CH. A personal view - our situation was singularly caused by the club failing to sign strikers and pacey players of top flight quality last summer. He's working with Championship players in the main.

And he's doing a bloody good job, and I saw a whole new side of him yesterday to have the guts to change his style, that makes for good managers.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
In theory we could be above them after the next game.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Loyalty counts for nothing, PL survival is everything to the owners. They are pulling the trigger before it gets even worse. New manager and one win can make all the difference. Still 42 points to play for and other teams sliding.

The decision displays just how deep tensions ran behind the scenes at Watford, a club which has publicly prided itself on sticking by managers mid-season in recent years. The club say a new head coach will be appointed 'swiftly'.

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/15886555.marco-silva-sacked-by-watford-after-just-26-games/

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Didn't they offer £3 million to Watford for him?

You're right though, its all gone downhill for them since Everton came calling. He was one of the hottest names in the division then, now this will look bad on his CV.

£10,000,000

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
From BBC:

"Prior to Everton's approach for Silva, Watford had won four, drawn three and lost four from 11 league games.

Since then the Vicarage Road club has won three, drawn two and lost eight of 13 top-flight outings."

A dip in form granted, but not massively different. (15 points from 33 compared with 11 points from 39)

There's clearly more here than purely on-field performance.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
From BBC:

"Prior to Everton's approach for Silva, Watford had won four, drawn three and lost four from 11 league games.

Since then the Vicarage Road club has won three, drawn two and lost eight of 13 top-flight outings."

A dip in form granted, but not massively different. (15 points from 33 compared with 11 points from 39)

There's clearly more here than purely on-field performance.

Post #48 answers that.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
It seems like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Silva has been one of Watford's best manager's for years. He interviewed well, got the most out of the players and looked to have a bright future. The main reason for sacking him by having his head turned by the Everton job is ridiculous. If the players harboured a grudge against him for that then it all seems rather sad (in the sense that there are no winners out of this).

I'm sure Silva will get another job easily in the Premier League. I bet Stoke are wishing they'd waited a couple of weeks now.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It seems like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Silva has been one of Watford's best manager's for years. He interviewed well, got the most out of the players and looked to have a bright future. The main reason for sacking him by having his head turned by the Everton job is ridiculous. If the players harboured a grudge against him for that then it all seems rather sad (in the sense that there are no winners out of this).

I'm sure Silva will get another job easily in the Premier League. I bet Stoke are wishing they'd waited a couple of weeks now.

They've had a season of three thirds:

1st third - very good.
2nd third - doing a Brighton/Boro. Shocking form.
Leaving the final third to resurrect their season and stop the negative momentum.
Leas

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
It works for a few years, But when they drop, they stay dropped (Bolton, Wigan, Charlton, Ipswich). And all that effort to stay up inevitably counts for nought because they spend all their money on the squad and very little on becoming a long-term viable entity, investing in infrastructure and so on. Saints are erroneous in your list, they don't spend fortunes on players. Nor do they repeatedly get rid of managers (Pochettino and Koeman walked out on them). They are working longer-term

I prefer the Bloom model. And we will see where it ends up 10 years from now

Well, Southampton sacked a manager who had taken them to the League Cup final and a top-half finish last summer. And rather than the philanthropic Liebherr family, they now have an owner who acquired them with a leveraged buy-out and many fans expect the Van Dijk money to go towards paying him back. So let's not assume things will stay the same at Estadio Santa Maria.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here