Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The impression I got from him is that, if he is sacrificing his political career, it is over long held legal and conventional principles rather.

According to the radio earlier, he is one of the wealthiest MP's in the Commons thanks to his legal business. I think he's not too bothered about a political career when he can have bucketful's of cash !

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Doubt he has any principles as he is a Tory

you mean like those principled Labour MPs, in favour of brexit but not wanting to say so, instead pussy footing around hoping to force a general election?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
It’s convention not to publish, and for good reasons outlined. Any sensible party would get their own advice, unfortunately Labour are not a sensible party anymore

I fail to see how our elected MPs are to vote on somthing so important without all the relevant information it's not convention to ignor the will of our elected Parliament however this government has previous in this respect and had to be taken to court to overturn illegal earlier decisions, this time with the vote on the 11th December it's been engineered so that is not an option this time instead it maybe the Tory John Burcow who makes the final decision

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
For our 'no deal' supporters, I have some information on how our negotiations are going that you mind find interesting. (I know a lot of you don't like details so I've tried to summarise it simply).

We are now starting to get feedback from the WTO schedules and quotas that Britain submitted 3 months ago.

We basically said that we wanted to continue with the same percentage quotas that we had under the EU. But the UK’s trading partners rightly complain that this simple split is not good enough. For example, if another country’s beef exports enter the UK to be processed, then move into the EU, under the new regime they will face two sets of quotas – instead of one, as happens now because we are EU members. In addition, other countries want the UK to open up to more trade to compensate for the loss of privileged access to the EU’s market.

The US and several other countries – including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay – have objected. Then last month, Russia blocked the proposal entirely. There can be no progress until Moscow’s complaint is resolved.

So it's onto the Appellate Body (the body which judges WTO disputes).

However, this body consists of seven judges who serve four-year terms. It requires a minimum of three judges, and judges may 'opt out' if they face a conflict of interest – such as their own government being involved.

Since 2017, Donald Trump has refused to agree to any new judges. So there are now only three left: the terms of two expire in December 2019, the other in November 2020. If the UK goes 'no deal' next March, then we might not have any WTO protection against cases involving the US, India or China – the nationalities of the remaining judges. And in 2020, all appeals will cease and we have to accept the WTO’s initial ruling.

Taking back control, eh :rolleyes:

What do you think we should do ? (Guaranteed not one sensible answer or any attempt from any 'No deal' poster on account that none of them knows what 'no deal' means).

As we don't know your tea-boy,why should we be bothered by the latest wrong information it has passed to you?On our way.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
He hasn't got a good memory though as he forgot to declare £400k of outside earnings

When you are raking in as much as he is it's easy to forget the odd £400K, mind you, I bet his firm never forgets to bill their clients.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I fail to see how our elected MPs are to vote on somthing so important without all the relevant information it's not convention to ignor the will of our elected Parliament however this government has previous in this respect and had to be taken to court to overturn illegal earlier decisions, this time with the vote on the 11th December it's been engineered so that is not an option this time instead it maybe the Tory John Burcow who makes the final decision

I will be clear on my position. This proposal from this Brexit government is a joke, they have taken 30 months to give us a proposal that is for transition only, potentially splits our country and gives the EU by far the best negotiating hand for the real negotiation ahead. This when the public where told it would be the easiest trade deal ever. Clueless. It needs to fail in Parliament and it will fail in Parliament. The legal advice has already been summarised today for all, the full transcript won’t change opinions, MPs know how they are voting.

And it is our legal convention not to make public. I work in business, we get legal advice and as long as certain words are prefixed we can ensure regulators, governments, competitors, cannot get visibility of our legally privileged advice. It’s the same for you and I as individuals. This is our legal system.Do we really want the EU to see our advice?
:facepalm:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
He hasn't got a good memory though as he forgot to declare £400k of outside earnings

It continually amazes me that such a large number of the British voting public continue to put their total faith in the hands of the elite who in turn are only intrested in maintaining the Establishment, the post of Attorney General really should not be somone who has conflicting interests and should be an independent panel of the most senior judges and not as in this case a Tory MP who was previously a lawyer and we know how honest they can be ( as presently with Michael Cohen in the States )

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'm confused, can anyone explain to me why the Brexiteers are in meltdown today about the "backstop". For the last year or so they've said technology can solve NI border

What's the problem? Are their some technical teething issues?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Your exact words

Hypothetically speaking I would expect Emergency measures continuing the current arrangements with a transition period until both sides can adjust to the new reality

The current arrangements being that we are members of the EU. What have I misinterpreted :shrug:

Already covered this, see posts #63474, #63477. We were talking about a no deal scenario .. any current arrangements to reduce the impact of no deal (eg keep the planes flying) that both sides would likely agree to.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I will be clear on my position. This proposal from this Brexit government is a joke, they have taken 30 months to give us a proposal that is for transition only, potentially splits our country and gives the EU by far the best negotiating hand for the real negotiation ahead. This when the public where told it would be the easiest trade deal ever. Clueless. It needs to fail in Parliament and it will fail in Parliament. The legal advice has already been summarised today for all, the full transcript won’t change opinions, MPs know how they are voting.

And it is our legal convention not to make public. I work in business, we get legal advice and as long as certain words are prefixed we can ensure regulators, governments, competitors, cannot get visibility of our legally privileged advice. It’s the same for you and I as individuals. This is our legal system.Do we really want the EU to see our advice?
:facepalm:

I have also had experience of legal advice in buissness where it would not be made public but would be made available to the executive. In this instance Parliment is the executive

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I have also had experience of legal advice in buissness where it would not be made public but would be made available to the executive. In this instance Parliment is the executive

Not sure on your example but I assure you with the right words it’s not disclosable ,and it shouldn’t be

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I hope they don't get too many over 670,000 turning up on Sunday.

It wouldn't matter if 17.4 million turned up though, would it?

Btw agree with your satisfaction that the Daily Mail is having problems. Serves them right for recently turning their back on Middle England/the Silent majority to pander towards undemocratic loon types.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
don't worry Doris , there wont be a second vote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w87GNWJHtFM
regards
DR

Banging your head against a brick wall,the UK Government is legally committed to delivering our exit from the EU on March 29th 2019, it’s May’s deal or no deal, simple as that. The appeasement brigade seem to struggle with this.
On our way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here